Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

dustinp likes this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Sweeney, dustinp and Tour 931 like this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'm curious --- While I know it will never recover, at least by man's hand, what is this rain doing to the Sulton Sea? I'm curious if all this has 'refilled' it at all. I saw one of the nomads there about 6 months ago, and it was... post-apocalyptic.

I don't think it will ever be 'fixed' --- but I'm curious if it ever "could" be. It looks like it would have been an amazing area to visit....

Kevin likes this.
  4. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Good morning from Timms Hill.
    4634A451-CED5-4EB1-B3D9-83DDDAED869A by Tour 931 posted Feb 20, 2024 at 4:39 AM

Randy, Van_and_Terri and dustinp like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Good question. All depends on how much of these atmospheric rivers make it over the mountains. Most of it has been going north of San Diego coastal...but there is water gage data here:
    USGS | National Water Dashboard
    Good for the farmers, I'd guess.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/25/climate/salton-sea-colorado-river-drought-crisis.html

Amazing? I do not know as I have not been out there in quite awhile, never been to The Slabs, for example...my desert camping has been about nature, getting away from people. So I avoid the party places, the motorheads...not judging, just not my style. Lots of weirdness in the deserts. Once camped near the ruins on Ghost Mountain:
    Marshal South - Ghost Mountain - DesertUSA

Salton Sea-Yup.
    Throwing federal tax money at an accident of history that created an unsustainable ecosystem doesnt make any sense to me...
    Environmentalists sound the alarm on Salton Sea as oasis is left in the dust

but, politics...and in water, the most convoluted...

Watch Chinatown, the movie. "Forget it, Jake..."
    Forget 'Chinatown,' Get the Real Story of California's Most Famous Water War

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    dustinp likes this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Beautiful! Hows your vision now, post lens installs?
    Do you find your perception of color much improved?

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Clearly an accident caused by bad engineering. But worth the fix? Perhaps, if anything just because the dried playa is potentially toxic. I saw that botulism is a problem there. The area is definitely a big "whoopsie" that hopefully engineers learned from, and don't do it again.

It's still unclear if I am going to be able to head west this spring, but if I make it that far, I'd have to at least go to both of these places and take a picture or two, just as a right of passage. Slab City, I think you have to have a screw loose to try to stay there. Just seems like a place to go when you're looking for trouble.

I've been to socal in my travels in the past, and while San Diego is nice -- I really have no desire to spend any time there. Certainly, I hold nothing against anyone who does -- but big cities and congestion is not my idea of fun.

Kevin likes this.
  8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

At first everything seemed bright and saturated. Now that I’m used to clear vision it seems normal.

Kevin and Sweeney like this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Thanks be to God! The vivid colors were what was most shocking, I think, in retrospect. The small details (like leaves) equally so. But having cataracts is like going into a bar that was built int he 1950's, where they never washed the windows --- and they are all covered in nicotine/tar/cigarette film. Just brown us smudged.

This was especially evident when only 1 eye was fixed, and you can do the "camera 1/camera 2" comparison. I'm happy for you.

Temperatures and precipitation here are still too unpredictable. At least too plan any distance trips. This Saturday the skies are sunny, but cold but warmer sunday. This might be the right combination for a 1 nighter. We'll have to see if I can scare up a friend or two go with me, they are van campers, and are usually up for it. The hardest part is the lack of bathrooms.

Saturday looked good yesterday, but today the forecast is saying only mid 30's for a high. I think March 2'nd may be possible....we'll have to see what happens. March in Indiana is when "mother nature is off her meds" is the best description of weather. But it may become necessary to go.

Tour 931 likes this.
  10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

My new clear vision makes me feel liked a kid again.
    FCD33826-91E7-4B63-B32B-8F2652CAAF7E by Tour 931 posted Feb 21, 2024 at 5:41 AM

dustinp, Kevin and Sweeney like this.
  11. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

To infinity and beyond!

dustinp and Tour 931 like this.
  12. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

“There’s a snake in my boots,” Sheriff Woody.

dustinp, Sweeney and Kevin like this.
  13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Yesterday the high was 52F. Tonight’s low will be 6F. A person doesn’t know how to dress for the day.

14. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

That going in the wrong direction :)

We are dancing between 25 as a low and 55 as a high -- next weekend low is around 40, highs in the 50's --- if the sun comes out, it might be a nice weekend.

If it holds out I might just have to do something fun. Not really, I need to go 'home' next weekend --- I'm anticipating 10 hours in the car next weekend (2.5 hours each way, twice in one weekend) I'm not sure why in the autumn colder temperatures don't bother me as much. But the though in the spring, even though I'm "chomping at the bit" seems harder to hit the reserve button.

Tomorrow, I reserve for the Hoosier chapter's summer gathering at Turkey Run --- 6 months away!

I don't want to go into details, but I'm really hoping I get to camp this year --- I've got some life changes happening, which may impact things pretty significantly. I hate unknown and uncertain times...

Kevin likes this.
  15. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Can you believe this weather! The high today will be 57 and the low tonight will be 4.
    28653210-37CF-4B5C-B685-2E397E4EB366 by Tour 931 posted Feb 27, 2024 at 6:34 AM

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Sounds like we're in the same pattern. We've only got 2 days in a row with 41 degree swings. Saturday in the 70s. March is always like that though. We'll probably get an ice storm at some point.

Not a fan.

Kevin likes this.
  17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Yesterday the high was actually 63 and right now it’s 1 degree with 20 mph winds.

Kevin likes this.
  18. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The storms get to you last night? I caught Ryan Hall y'all's coverage of Chicagos storms last night; it looks like it got interesting up there. I'm a little concerned about his coverage - I can't help but wonder how many of his spotters aren't trained and put themselves in harm's way.

I looked at the national radar images and thought Indiana was in the clear....but 2am told me otherwise.

Kevin likes this.
  19. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

This the guy you mentioned, Sweeney?

Interesting...

20. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Btw, been fooling with weather apps; learned that both Weather Channel and WeatherUnderground both use IBM GRAT forecasting tech for "future radar"- which isnt radar of course but a prediction.

Helpful on left coast as you cant see beyond about 100 nm by radar, but the app flips to prediction mode as it passes current time, and shows the radar-like mapped prediction.

Attached Files: