Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I just finished my first cup of coffee and ventured outside to take this picture of my home in the overnight snow.

I had a foot of hard, dense crusted snow on the ground and this morning awoke to just more than seven inches of new snow. Gotta love these Wisconsin springs!
    F3150A96-DB33-42F5-96F2-B7F92955D446 by Tour 931 posted Apr 4, 2022 at 6:15 AM

Please feel free to post anything about your day here. It’s a way of keeping the forum more active. Eventually people will start posting more about camping if they know someone is checking in daily.

dustinp, Kevin S and Cary Winch like this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

That was just snowfall from last night -- Surprised its snowing still at that level. Thats pretty nasty :D

I thought I had it bad --- a couple nights last week reached 21 where I was at unexpectedly, in my 560. I'm glad I had the furnace, but I'm sad I didn't have enough propane... Froze my noonie off. And I'm not even sure what the noonie is :D

The gas usage of my furnace is what I expected it to be, but definately not as efficient as I expected based on Cary's observations. What is your performance like?

21 degrees with the furnace at its lowest setting over night followed by about 5 hours at about 1/4 up the scale. The "day" tempes with the higher setting were hovering at freezing.

Went through about 3/4 of a 20lb tank in 2 days.

Kevin S likes this.
  3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

My 560 is still in Washington State. I will be picking it up at the end of the month. I’ve camped in it down in the 20’s and only ran the furnace for an hour at night and in the morning. Consumption was minimal.

Here in the house I use about 3 gallons a day in -20 weather and less than a gallon at freezing. I’m amazed at how little propane my trailer and home uses.

Kevin S likes this.
  4. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

We have camped many a night in the 20 degree F range. We don't have a heater, so we use good sleeping bags and are very comfortable. Bags are rated to 5 F.

Tour 931 likes this.
  5. M&L

M&L Ranger

Just got back yesterday evening from camping in Arizona. It was sunny and in the mid- to upper-80's! The wife and I sipped our coffee every morning off the back of the galley while overlooking the saguaros and quail (funny little birds!)...the morning temps were in the 60's!

Kevin S and Tour 931 like this.
  6. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Sweeney, how did your plumbing hold up in 21 degree weather? I've only been to about 30 which was obviously no problem. I just booked the last two weeks of September where temps are supposed to "average" 32 for a low. Of course that's the whole month so the last half should be colder than the first half. But of course they could get a lot colder. I can handle the temps fine but I really want to have a functioning galley the whole time. Don't want to have to winterize mid trip.

Thanks.

Tour 931 and Kevin S like this.
  7. I taught two classes of high school Economics. Came home & cut the grass. Hoping we are about done with the pine pollen here.

Tour 931 likes this.
  8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

31F and high overcast, Sipping Folgers while I plan my day around voting.

9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Good question. Yes, This is probably not a major issue for us, as we don't normally camp that cold. Not because of night cold but day ... days in the 50's nights in the 30's is about where we start camping.

To be honest, the only regret I have with our rig is the furnace. In retrospect, I doubt we'll use it enough. 99% of the time we will be in a place with electricity --- this may change (hip camp type places) when I can't get into a state park, or all I can get is a non-electric. But those times are rare. A 400 watt personal heater warmed the cabin WELL above my comfort point in just a few minutes...I had to turn it off, and/or regulate it by opening windows.

As for the freezing, the tanks are freeze safe, so thee's no problem there. The most "damageable" part in a freeze is the spray head and valve in the sink. As long as those are drained, I should be fine.

To drain them, turn off the power to the water pump, open the sink valve and let the preasure release. Then raise the spray valve straight up and press the button --- the water will rush out through the sink. For an added bonus, open and close the outside shower connector and you're OK for a little bit of cold.

I am really lucky though, we discovered this winter that our garage never drops below freezing ---40's at as low as it gets...so no more winterization :)!!!

Kevin S and Tour 931 like this.
  10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I forgot about the outside sink when I winterized mine.

Kevin S likes this.
  11. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

If equipped, don't forget the water lines to the Maytag washer.

Kevin S likes this.
  12. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Mine came with the hot tub.

Kevin S, campdude and Cary Winch like this.
  13. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

I want the foldable lap pool that I hear is in secret production in the Nest.

14. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

With that option you need the tandem axles. I’ve heard they have had production problems and it might not be available till next year.

Wind from the south today and rain in the forecast. Folgers brewing.

campdude likes this.
  15. campdude

campdude Ranger

Tour 931 likes this.
  16. Gypsy

Gypsy Junior Ranger Donating Member

"The best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup."

Tour 931 likes this.
  17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

That was DEFINATELY filmed before "Politically correct" was created.

18. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I was thinking the same thing.

19. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It snowed another inch yesterday afternoon and an inch more at night. This is my class A this morning. I lived in it with everything I owned for three months while searching for a home in Wisconsin. More Folgers in my cup.

140C53D9-C50C-43DF-A290-D5032FD783C7 by Tour 931 posted Apr 7, 2022 at 5:54 AM

Kevin S and Warren Mary Ellen like this.
  20. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

A little climate change from the PNW huh? ;)

Tour 931 likes this.