Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Thanks. I didn’t like it at first then it grew on me.

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

YOU WIN!

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I hope it isn't the last camping of the year, but I got ina '1 nighter' Saturday night. Just me and a fellow from my parish who camps in his Honda Element. He has been looking at teardrops but wants to be able to steal camp. I think he was considering a 'cargo trailer' conversion as well but wanted to avoid buying a pickup truck. Regardless, of his situation, he's a great camping companion and we had a marvelous time at Lake Monroe State park.

We didnt' hike, or do anything besides talk about life, enjoy a warm fire, and a great meal.

Temperatures were right at freezing, and I couldn't figure out why the heater wasn't quite keeping it warm overnight. My wife's side widow being open made a big difference :) --- I'm glad i wasn't using propane! In off season, electric only sites cost the same as tent sites with no power. No brainer :D

Yesterday was also an auspicious day for me. Serenity turned 2! It was November 12, 2021 that we picked it up, two trouble-free years of ownership.

Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  4. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

What beach is that at Kevin?

Kevin likes this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Not a big fan of posting videos...Especailly on proprietary platforms and even MORE not a fan of facebook. That said...This was good enough I downloaded a copy.

https://fb.watch/oj6cGAGP6j/

Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Got time for a laugh? Add the movie "L.A. Story" to your list. One of the set locations is "El Pollo Del Mar" which I why I bring it up. Yes yes, its fictional....but it does have Del Mar in the name...

Steve Martin is a truly gifted human being. His acting, music, and comedic timing is all top notch. He comes from the school of "entertainer" not just "actor" --- he does a little of everything. Musician, Comedy, Acting...not a "one trick wonder" like so many "talents" today. Speaking of that, it also stars Sarah Jessica Parker (ouch!) -- she spins. Necessary to move the plot along --- but, man, does she annoy me :D

Kevin likes this.
  7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It’s 37F with full sunshine. Standing up against the house it seems like 60.

Kevin likes this.
  8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

The low last night was 24F and it’s not much warmer now. Hunting season opened yesterday and I’m heading gunshots everywhere few minutes.

Kevin likes this.
  9. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

19F and sunny.

Kevin likes this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

We're still hanging in the 50s --- but the bottom falls out next week. Lows in the teens. I just hope I can get a the leaves up before that happens. Its been too rainy/wet and I've been inundated with life events to get out and clean them up.

Looking at the forecast, I think I'm hosed.

BUT! On a positive note, Thanksgiving is almost here, then Advent and Christmas. I love this time of year. Tomorrow is Pecan pies, and probably a pumpkin or two. Then Thursday the 6 hours driving for a 4 hour visit with family, which parallels the hours of cooking for an hour of gluttony :)

Who else is planning their spring trips? I really miss the time when you could plan a weekend 2-3 weeks in advance. Even though we'll be putting Serenity 'up' here in the next couple weeks (salt on the road will determine the date) we're having to book our spring trips. So odd.

Tour 931, Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  11. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

It
    It’s just becoming a good time to camp in Florida. We’re currently at Silver Springs State Park. December we’ll be at Jetty Park, Tomoka, and Rodman Dam State Parks. Several January and February reservations. Looking forward to another week at Lake Louisa and Blackwater State Park in March and ending the month at Paynes Prairie State Park.

Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  12. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Van and Terrie:

How far in advance are you needing to reserve to get a spot, on average in FL.

I'm looking at another FL RE shopping trip cum camping and tended in past to just look ahead a day or two, maybe a week as the schedule at home is variable at times...

My guess is FL is even more popular now than in Covid camping...

13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Months is my experience. I know Florida is changing the rules a bit to make it easier for Floridians to get reservations; they should. But in my search --- especially at the big and famous campgrounds --- it's difficult.

Van told me this website. Tell it where you want to go, when you want to get there, and for how long....it will watch for cancellations and notify you. I've had it looking at three parks (Kissimmee Lake, Rainbow Springs, and Manatee Springs). So far, zero hits in about 5 weeks

Wandering Labs :: Reserve - wanderingLabs.com - Campsite reservation and cancellation notifications

Kevin, Chuckwagon and Van_and_Terri like this.
  14. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

The popular campgrounds need to be reserved as soon as they are available for reserving. January 1st FL residents can reserve 11 months out. Out of state will move from the current 11 months to 10 months in advance. I use Wanderinglabs.com with a high success rate. But the cancellations come up closer to the reservation date. 2 weeks to a few days before the date seems to be the norm.

15. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Thanks -
    So there may be spots that open due to cancellations...
    Is that a state park level of reservations info,
    or do I need to check at each park of interest?
    Standby lists?

PS: thanks for the wanderinglabs resource!
    And Sweeney your reality check tip too!

More research needed...on my list.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    Tour 931 likes this.
  16. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Oops sorry got a little off the Morning Weather topic there...my bad!

Lets pick it up from here: on "trip planning"...

Wanderinglabs...landing Spot To Continue From Here:

Dang! The weather is getting cold here...

You can tell by the hoodies being replaced by ski jackets and shift from flip flops to Uggs.
    Surfers are in full wet suits now...

The few odd skandies still walking around here in golf shirts and dockers shorts like zombies lost from the ND Farmer outpost in Mesa AZ have been contacted by Homeless Outreach.

The beach is getting beat up, the seagulls know...
    The Pineapple Express is back with a strong El Nino formed in the south pacific.

Reminds me of Indian Summer weather...
    Back home in the High Plains...
    Getting out the guns, gear, bird dogs excited.

Have a Happy Turkey Day, ya sure you betcha, uff da.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    Ken & Peggy and Tour 931 like this.
  17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

This thread doesn’t have a topic. I started it to encourage more people to post. Sometimes people would like to post something but not start a thread for fear no one will respond.

Kevin and Ken & Peggy like this.
  18. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Today is the last day that it will get above freezing. At least for the next ten days. Lows will be in the teens with a few nights in single digits. Heights will be in the mid twenties. Time for some hot tea.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  19. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

We're still doing pretty good! 50s during the day, and dipping down at night --- frankly, just about my favorite type of camping.

Next week at this time though and all bets are off, it looks like winter is here. BUT...it was nice enough today I think at 4pm, I'll head out and clean up the last of the leaves. I got the gutters cleaned Sunday...

Thanksgiving report: Pies in the oven. Just 2 pecan this year. I'll do some pumpkin next week. My Dad LOVES pecan pie, and my neices have decided to take the desert duty this year. We're bringing "a salad" -- what I like to call garnish.

I am so thankful to my Grandma (Busia) for making all those pies when I was in her care as a child. She always tossed me a bit of crust dough. Buried somewhere deep in the psyche is what it should feel like, look like, and how to roll it out after watching so many times.

What I am NOT thankful for: Kraft caramels --- YUCK! THey used to be so good!!!! I'll be making that for Christmas this year.

dustinp and Kevin like this.
  20. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I am charged with making the sweet potato casserole, as I am every year. I have to say it's the only time I really enjoy eating them. I actually didn't mind them as a kid, but they lost something along the way...