Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Hey Moderators -- :) --- How about a Keto section in the camp cooking & cast iron forum?

Kevin and Ken & Peggy like this.
  2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

That's a whole nother topic. I was recently scheduled for an angiogram to rule out heart issues, and BEFORE the procedure even occurred the cardiologist prescribed statins. I decided to go to a different doctor - who promptly did the same thing. I suggested to them both that they might wait for results before prescribing the statins and they both basically said everyone should be on them (not quite, but that was pretty close). Turns out I am fine and not taking the drug. Pharma driven medicine is too prevalent IMO. Some docs walk around with hammers in their hands and everybody looks like a nail.

Tour 931, Kevin and dougbee like this.
  3. Ken & Peggy

A great idea. I lack the magic to make that happen. Maybe for now, be sure to tag any post with 'Keto' so it's easily found.

Kevin and Sweeney like this.
  4. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

Under the new blood pressure “rules” 80% of older adults should be on blood pressure meds. Statins for cholesterol work to lower cholesterol yet cholesterol is needed for brain function. Doctor’s advice is just that, advice. Always ask: What will this do to improve MY life and what will it cure. Almost all medicines are advertised on the basis of a percent of percent basis such as a 50% reduction in risk of heart attack. This means that if your risk, based on broad population study algorithms is 5%, your new risk might be 2.5% over 5 years. In a large population the actual numbers are significant but one should consider the personal effect on your health. IMHO.

5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Prefectly said --- and don't forget to try to find raw data. Sadly, a lot of that raw data is now called "misinformation" by the powers that be.

Kevin likes this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'm tired of the gray weather already.

We're officially in the early winter doldrums; it's too cold just to hang out outdoors but too nice to stay inside except when it is raining --- which now seems to have shifted to a "saturday/sunday" pattern. The old joke --- what do you call a nice day after 3 days of rain? Monday.

It's always hard to plan in winter because of our Indiana weather. I had to look up the date, but on Christmas 1982, it was 65 degrees. I remember having friends that went to the beaches in Michigan. The same day, a year later, it was -3. Of course in 1978 we all got a taste of it. Who remembers that? I sure do.

I had hoped to pull Serenity out of the garage for a quick outing, but life interfered. I postponed the trip until next weekend, which looked pretty good at the time. But now its rainy and cold. The forecast is ever-changing...

The best day this week is Wednesday at 55 and sunny. This may be a day of maintenance.

-Brake adjustment
    -tank sanitization
    -Waxing / Washing
    -Steel wool the wheels

Kevin likes this.
  7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Overcast here too with not enough snow to snowshoe but too much for hiking. I’m hoping for more snow.

Ken & Peggy and Kevin like this.
  8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Do they make a pill fo that? I'm dyin'!!! This weekend is looking like another washout. I've got some things going on, and right now I just need a couple of days to turn off the computer, disable the cell phone ringer, and consider my next move. As the temperatures are falling, the opportunities for this get less and less.

This advent is going to be so short! This weekend is a no-go, 16'th may be OK. The next weekend is Christmas! Yikes! I remember in 1980s at least one Christmas where it was warm enough to go to the beach....I don't think this year will be one of those. But after this, I see deep-freeze temperatures.

I don't expect after then to go anywhere until March since January and Frebruary are the pits.

I >AM< thinking of taking a 3 week trip somewhere somewhere around March. I've thought about going to Florida to see a friend there, but I'm really thinking 3 weeks is enough time to possibly head west --- and once I get past St. Louis, I suspect the weather conditions will improve as I had down through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico. see what I'm thinking? Or is march too early? it looks like May would be better but I probably couldn't pull that off.

Kevin likes this.
  9. Ken & Peggy

I'm with you. Once it gets cold, let it snow. Then we've got Xcountry skiing, snowshoeing, etc. - things to do to enjoy in the outdoors...
    We got a bit more than a dusting this morning but it's turning to rain. And Friday's forecast high is 57. So we're not there yet.

Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It’s heading to 45F and the low tonight will be 33F. This is one of the mildest winters ever here. Last week it was -4F and that is thee norm.

Kevin, Sweeney and dustinp like this.
  11. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Happy holidays to you, Tour and to Santas Craig and Cary and the Elves at the North Pole of WI and Campinn HQ!

I love the four seasons and miss the snow. Here in SoCal we have two seasons, green and brown, the latter mostly wildfires...but with a strong El Nino its shaping up like wetter than the average.

Pretty funny to me to see the natives walking the dogs in puffy jackets and knit caps when its 50f...thats shorts and t-shirt weather for us squareheads in UffDakota.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    Ken & Peggy and Tour 931 like this.
  12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The flip side is the summer, when you look like you're about to die of heat exhaustion....though SOCAL isn't that bad if you're coastal --- its not like Dallas or worse, Houston. Helped a friend pack and move from there in May....we had to work at 11 at night simply because 3pm would have sent one of us to the hospital. Probably me.

Tour 931 likes this.
  13. Ken & Peggy

We visited our daughter in Perth, Western Australia one recent June (almost the exact mirror lat/long of San Diego). I was driving past a bus stop full of school kids dressed in their UGG boots, winter coats, hats & gloves like it was one of our winters. It was 55°. I guess it's all what you get used to.

Kevin likes this.
  14. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Got to spend some time in Perth on shore liberty long ago- recall the tour boat floating the Swan River? Past horse farms and winery's.
    The climate and habitat reminded me of San Diego.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  15. Ken & Peggy

The Swan River indeed. The entire Perth region is full of gorgeous places to see. Many National Parks within an hour or two's drive, beautiful beaches, and the people are great. Here's a couple pics shot with the drone from our last visit - downtown Perth may have changed a bit since your visit...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    dustinp, Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  16. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I put up a banner near my driveway under the tractor canopy.
    74494FE0-5103-4755-BEEF-88C2416A59B5 by Tour 931 posted Dec 9, 2023 at 2:54 PM

Sweeney, Kevin and dustinp like this.
  17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Austrailia frightens me a little. Its one of those places, like parts of Florida, that are actively trying to eat you, and I don't mean drop bears ;)

18. Ken & Peggy

Haha! They pretty much have the deadliest 'everything there is' in Australia that's for sure. There are signs in the city parks warning not to leave the mowed areas due to the snakes in the warmer months - along with the spiders, crocs, jellyfish, etc. Even snails can kill you. Yet, these people act like everything is going along just fine...

Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  19. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Facebook has a "sign" group --- just silly signs left...this one ironically showed up this morning.

Attached Files:

20. Ken & Peggy

One of the rare menaces not in the Perth area of Australia... YET

Sweeney likes this.