Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Yes, if that is what is happening, it shouldn't be supported by western EV manufacturers or anyone else.

Unfortunately just about everything has become so politicized by both right & left wing extremists putting out more online mis & dis information, that sifting the real truth out of all the chafe that surrounds it is all but impossible.
    It does seem to make sense to me that with the advances made in both battery, and solar panel cost, & efficiency, as long as the sun shines it can provide us low cost electricity to use for most things requiring energy. If it quits shinning we are all in big trouble, no matter what energy we use.

With the pollution caused by the production of solar panels & batteries more or less isolated, and contained to where they are produced, & recycled, it can be dealt with more efficiently and effectively at those point sources. As opposed to the pollution caused by fossil fuel production and its use producing more widespread pollution that is near impossible to contain. It seems it would behoove us to try to support the continuing advances in both solar & battery efficiency, and try to lessen the long term pollution we create where we can.
    Our electrical grid is something that has long been a source of concern for its vulnerability to would be terrorists. With the less centralized power production of solar farms, and local storage, it seems like we would be less susceptible to such a centralized attack as well.
    No one likes anything shoved down their throats, but our government has a long history of subsidizing industries that it feels will be of benefit to the country as a whole, including the railroads, oil, coal, agriculture production, and many more. Now that it is solar & batteries turn, I guess I don't feel like this is any different, and those subsidies may actually get back to the consumers more directly than the others in the form of rebates, or tax credits. I don't disagree that they are not always provided in an equitable fashion, but don't think that should be held against the product or its use, but maybe the local politicians, particularly in CA.

Kevin, Tour 931, SethB and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Interesting question. But braking is pretty poor -- I'd want to not stress the brakes any more than I must...Stopping that is harder even with brake controller enabled.

I suspect at this point I need to add a couple of clicks per side...but that is a topic, much like how tight should you set bearings.

Little drag on shoes, but not too much...

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  5. dustinp

Fun to look at indeed.....as far as an acid trip, well I wouldn't know about that.;)

6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Not sure...or if to answer :) Personally, never touched it, but I had friends who did. None of them went schitzo, or lived up to any of the hyped-up cuationary tales. I am not sure that would be the case today. The drugs on the streets are definitely of a completely different caliber...

I Know...I know..The gentleman Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks

dustinp likes this.
  7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Far out man!

dustinp likes this.
  8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

The fall colors are really starting to turn. This picture was taken about an hour ago from my front porch.
    9D7422E8-4918-48B3-8527-BF59FE274C4D by Tour 931 posted Sep 21, 2023 at 4:43 PM

Kevin, Randy, dougbee and 2 others like this.
  9. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

This picture was taken this morning. About a week ago I bought the 22 acres surrounding my 5 acres. The field in front, behind and to the left of the house is now mine. You can see the fence on the right in the previous picture.
    F684F435-EA88-4A77-9744-D83D3559BEF8 by Tour 931 posted Sep 21, 2023 at 5:47 PM

Kevin, Randy, Sweeney and 3 others like this.
  10. dustinp

Nice addition to keep your view a beautiful one!

11. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

That’s the main reason I wanted it. Another person wanted to buy it and put a dozen rental cabins up behind the fence line.

My five acres are within the green line. I almost didn’t buy this place because I wanted more acres. I’m currently getting it put back into one parcel. By October first it should be done and registered with the county.
    D69DBC8A-1616-484E-8ACB-0D5377A12FBF by Tour 931 posted Sep 22, 2023 at 5:08 AM

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Smart move. The very last thing I would want is to have rental cabins near me. Pessimistically, its safe to bet that you'd have weekly "world corn hole championship" with all the hootin' and hollerin', all while blasting Kid Rock (like him, BTW) blasted on outdoor speakers. Not how I want to spend my weekends.

We've got a private campground not too far from my home. When the wind is right, I can hear the parties, which isn't pleasant, especially in an idyllic location like you have. Your situation may be different, the owner may have been conscientious about his rules, but unless he's living on-site, he's likely not being connected to what goes on...Making buying the smart thing to do.

Now, if you want to set up a teardrop campground ;)

Kevin and dougbee like this.
  13. dustinp

Yes, one of the sacrifices of buying property in an area that is popular with many others for their R&R time. One of the reasons we bought 6 acres and a 1000+ft of lakeshore when it became available 40 years ago, was we thought we could provide adequate insulation between our home and others for a little more tranquility. Works for the average day, but when things start getting cranked up at the resort & campground across the lake on a holiday weekend, it's pretty hard not to find yourself tapping your toe to the beat of the music traveling across the water.....hopefully it's a tune you like. ;)

Kevin likes this.
  14. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

This area is currently undiscovered and undeveloped. I see it as being developed a lot in the next twenty years. Now for that teardrop campground I’ve thought of that. Maybe a private gathering of a dozen teardrops for a week out in the hay field after it’s been cut. Rent a couple porta-potties and let people primitive camp.

Kevin likes this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

DRAT!!!!! Is it 3 or 4 times I've now flatlined the battery!!! I charged it, and pulled off the sufrance charge by running a light and the fan for about 20 minutes. It still has 12.9 volts and a 100% SOH from the battery load tester. I'm almost unsure how that is possible on a 2-year-old battery.

I'm letting the fan, light, and fridge run for a couple hours -- see what it look like then. That is more than I usually pull, I don't normally run lights that long. But I'm starting to think about the LIFEPO4 retrofit...

At least the BMS will shut down before the battery damages itself.

So...planning ahead....

1] Bigger battery charger to facilitate faster charging. Anyone charging with the
    Kind of there with you. I don't think I 'd ever want to be an owner of a campground. I don't want to look behind that curtain :)

I have considered the same, if I find land suitable, possibly building 5 or so sites just for friends, much more so when the state parks are packed or locked up as we ran into in 2020.

There have been several times where a "friendly gathering" would have been fantastic if we only had a place, or, where I really expect to be "bad neighbors" in the campground.

I'm not a 'party animal' but there are times when music, movies, and perhaps an adult beverage or two with a roaring campfire would certainly cause Mr. DNR to frown.

16. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It rained hard most of the night with rain expected for the next four days. Glad I got a few outside jobs done this last week.

Kevin likes this.
  17. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

I'll just toss this in, reporting from flyover country:

EV Battery Factory Will Require So Much Energy It Needs A Coal Plant To Power It

18. dustinp

I guess that headline kind of proved my point. It's slanted and inaccurate. The new battery facility being built is going to apparently unexpectedly tax the local power utilities production enough that it's planned switch from coal to gas is being delayed ( not canceled )...and all the quotes in the article are from people with a vested interest in the continuing use of coal as a source of power. Not much effort is made in providing a balanced, unbiased news story.

One morsel of truth to be filtered from the chafe, is that an EV has to be driven 50-60,000 miles before it has offset the CO2 emissions from its own production. After that it has a net reduction in CO2 emissions. From the EV forum I attended recently, the average life expectancy of the EV battery is between 150-300,000 miles. So that should give you between 100-240,000 miles of net reduction in CO2 emissions, or enough to offset the CO2 of its own replacement 2-4 times over, vs the ICE, which after 50-60,000 miles will continue to produce as much or more CO2 as it did up until then, right up until its scraped, and then its replacement will do the same thing.

I don't think that anyone feels there will be a point where we will have no power plants, or that none of them will use fossil fuels, but the renewable sources can play a major part in satisfying the increasing demand for power, and decrease the need for additional fossil fuel powered plants. Coal will probably be nearly if not completely eliminated from the power production scenario at some point, and possibly replaced by new nuclear plants that use recyclable fuel that greatly lessens the need for storage of spent fuel rods. But only if the politicians can get out of their own way. FWIW.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
    Kevin likes this.
  19. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

No maan, it’s me Dave.

Sweeney and Kevin like this.
  20. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I took these pictures earlier today. This year has exceptional colors.
    F33101FF-A2A6-4D90-9E1B-9E50A307C457 by Tour 931 posted Sep 23, 2023 at 3:27 PM
    649B9CD7-830C-44C5-996C-C0A34FAD4100 by Tour 931 posted Sep 23, 2023 at 3:27 PM
    8A5A953A-061F-47E2-B72D-228910A6F87F by Tour 931 posted Sep 23, 2023 at 3:27 PM
    21B709BC-C350-458E-9627-A3219FF7BB7B by Tour 931 posted Sep 23, 2023 at 3:27 PM

Randy, Chuckwagon, Cary Winch and 5 others like this.