Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Heh, no mountains out the window this morning...

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Lots of fog here. Even if there were mountains I couldn’t see them.

Kevin and Ken & Peggy like this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Beekeeping is awesome fun. Start planning this autumn. Find your local bee keeping club (should be easy to find up there, let me know if you have trouble) and start attending meetings, and get information about the spring classes.

The club can help you get your first "nuk" -- which comes with frames rather than just getting bees & a queen. The nuc is a headstart that pays dividends.

I recommend starting with two hives....you can compare one against the other which will help you notice when there's a problem.

I need to get my 'bee yard' empty to even think about it. Bees are really low maintenance, visit them a couple times a year and by the 2'nd year you'll enjoy your first harvest. There's noting like it.

Kevin likes this.
  4. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I think I have the perfect place for it. Lots of bee food around as the previous owner planted flowers and such that attracts birds, bees and butterflies. I did that in Seattle and continue to do it here.

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Love your yard and hay field, Tour, bees oughta too!

Took a class a few years back but never got started- our town has a limit on backyard hives- a minimum of acres we did not have. And some africanized honeybees that have moved into the area...dont wanna 'bee' that guy!

Nothing like raw honey when you are feeling a little run down.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
    Tour 931 likes this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

They pretty much do well in most places. Ironically, inner cities. Except for the pesticides we use :( I know modern farming is reliant on it, but I do question what we're doing to ourselves.

Paris had a problem with collasping hives, they banned pesticides and the honeybee population responded very well, I believe coming back to 'normal' --- sadly corn and other grains are self pollinating, so the farmers don't seem to care about what round-up does to everyone else. I have some friends who grown corn and soy --- and their attitude is cavalier. "Everyone else is doing it, I have too to survive"

I can see their point, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Ironically, I started to love for bees right here --- in an old thread about seasoning cast iron with beeswax instead of oil To this day, I keep at least a partially used and one complete pound of beeswax in my kitchen cabinet. Every time I use my cast iron, after washing, I heat it up and give it a quick coat.

I used the beeswax bar and wiped it out with a lint-free towel. After a while, the towel gets so "full" of wax that you just have to wipe it down with the wax soaked towel. Periocially, refreshing with a quick pass of beeswax from the block...

One lb usually lasts a year or two at least. Best tip I've gotten on a camping forum anywhere....ironically, right here....

Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  7. For a little while we thought we were seeing a Camp Inn in the wild we’d never seen & were wondering who it might be & where they were headed. Then we were remembered we are not the only Camp Inn owners in this city. So I texted the other folks and they have a new tow vehicle we didn’t know about it. So yep it was them.

We’ve seen their Camp Inn & we’ve seen two others that are local. We’ve only seen 4 others I believe. Ran into a couple from Santa Fe at the Hubble Trading Post in Arizona. A few days later we we were camped at Bryce and there was one near us for one night in 2016 on that same trip. The other two were both owned by Bear. He was switching from his first one to his second. We were camping at the camping spot at the factory in Necedah in 2022 when he was there.

Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I've only ever seen one other campinn in the 'wild' -- meaning on the highway. I've seen them at the Crossroads Gathering, and of course CICO -- but not much else. I suppose once at Brown County, there was a very old on there....

Whenever I see one, I get the same "excited" feeling—what friend have I yet to meet?!

Tour 931, Cary Winch and Kevin like this.
  9. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Good morning. The sun is coming up almost due east this morning indicating fall is on its way.
    2040F40F-F17E-4C22-8210-6EF49D5DE455 by Tour 931 posted Sep 4, 2024 at 4:57 AM

Kevin, dustinp, Van_and_Terri and 3 others like this.
  10. The one wee saw in Bryce we didn’t get to meet the owner. The day we got there, they were gone all day. Saw them drive in late figured we’d see them the next day. Being from the east coast, we were up really early & went for a sunrise hike. When we got back they had left.

Oh we were excited about seeing it. And even once we knew it was one we had already seen, we still excited.

Kevin and Ken & Peggy like this.
  11. Ken & Peggy

We were there, but it was 2015...

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.
  12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Interesting how much commonality you can find just based on having the same camper :)

Warren Mary Ellen, Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Good morning. I’m watching the weather news as I sip my first cup of coffee for the day. There is a frost warning for the next two nights.

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  14. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

My beloved Packers lost last night and I’m drowning my sorrows in my coffee this morning.

dustinp and Ken & Peggy like this.
  15. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

So much for the perfect So Cal weather that I always brag about. Temps in the 100s the last few days. Very unusual heat wave. Canceled our three day camping trip to El Capitan State Beach campground just north of Santa Barbara. Yes, we So Cal peeps are weather weenies for sure!

Kevin likes this.
  16. Ken & Peggy

We're going to head up to the Apostle Islands for a few days since the forecast is calling for highs in the mid 70's and lows in the upper 50's with no rain. We haven't been since about 2005? or so (pre CampInn days anyways), so it's time.
    We'll be taking the 'yaks and hope that Gitche Gumee cooperates so we can get to some caves. Should be fun :)

17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I commissioned my neighbor to paint a picture of my house. I took the picture the first winter I was in Wisconsin.
    AE044DF3-0F4C-4373-8643-D8464C0B301E by Tour 931 posted Sep 8, 2024 at 4:57 PM
    346A4ECE-F7ED-423B-BA06-B54435944D8B by Tour 931 posted Sep 8, 2024 at 4:57 PM
    3E51CBB0-76AB-4E87-B6D8-D824BB6F002C by Tour 931 posted Sep 8, 2024 at 5:00 PM

18. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

You have very talented neighbor!

Kevin likes this.
  19. Ken & Peggy

Awesome.

Kevin likes this.
  20. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

She really is talented. She raised five kids and the last left home four years ago. With nothing else to do she pursued her dream of being an artist.

Kevin likes this.