Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We were able to tour the prison in French Guiana in January which the movie Papillion was based upon while on a tour to and up the Amazon. Presently we’re in Alaska at Glacier Bay. Quite the contrast in seven months.

Attached Files:

Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It rained 1.4” yesterday. Just when I thought it was safe to put away my umbrella.

dustinp and Kevin like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

We got more of the Baja Backwash here:

Attached Files:

dustinp likes this.
  4. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

....well the AC at our home finally had to be utilized this past weekend as the dew points creeped into the 70's.
    Never had it as a kid, so didn't put it in when we built our super insulated home 39yrs ago, but what we found, was that while even when the outside temps would occasionally hit 100F, the temps in the house wouldn't get above the low 70's, but the humidity levels would get uncomfortably high, so we added the AC about 10yrs later, mainly for humidity control.
    Don't need it often, but sure glad to have it when we do, just like in the CI! :cool:

5. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

I live in Southern California, Irvine, Orange County. Our house is 6 miles from the ocean and sits up on a hill so we get the ocean breeze and onshore flow keeping us much cooler than further inland. The Mediterranean climate in Orange County gives us what I believe to be the best weather in the country. Beautiful summers rarely touching high 80s and 90s and super mild winters with cool nights and warm days. Is it expensive to live here? He** yes it is, very expensive! Is it a bit crowded? Yes it is. Fortunately we have a paid off house subsidized by UC Irvine where my wife is a professor so our cost of living is less than most in So Cal. A great benefit and one of the reasons we chose to move here 32 years ago from the Midwest

I retired in 2022 and my wife retires next Spring. Our plan had always been to explore the Western US and find a smaller town, a bit of land and build our last home. Oregon, Washington, Utah and Nevada were all on the list and we would have fun with the exploration process and do a lot of camping as we went about it.

It has recently occurred to us though that the weather seems to be getting so much worse in the rest of the country with so many more severe weather events. Another consideration with land in the West is the constant threat of wildfires. So, we are reconsidering our plans and may keep this as a home base and do long term Air BnB stuff or extended camping trips when we want to travel. Not sure yet, but we are leaning that way more and more as global warming continues to impact the weather.

Randy

Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
  6. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It doesn’t get very hot here but it does get a bit humid. Outside it’s nice but the house is in the open sun so it get uncomfortable. The a/c keeps the house from getting real hot and more important it keep the humidity down.

Back in the Seattle area it was about the same. It was also very expensive living there although incomes were much higher. I sold and spent 18% of the selling price buying here in Wisconsin. Being retired I don’t have to worry about making a living as good paying jobs are scarce here.

dustinp, Kevin and Randy like this.
  7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It rained again today. Or should I say it poured for five minutes and then the sun came out again.

8. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

It has rained 10 of the last 11 days in Alaska. But that is fairly normal for them. Headed to Vancouver now in extreme fog. There’s goes that fog horn again!

Kevin likes this.
  9. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I had an unwanted visitor in my motor home.
    636FEE2A-8CA8-4A94-A808-A79B7DD63CF5 by Tour 931 posted Jul 17, 2024 at 1:44 PM

dustinp likes this.
  10. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I use a high frequency device from Home Depot. They seem to work as I turned it on and walked in the garage sometime later and found a mouse on the ground panting and out of it. Guess they can’t stand the higher frequencies.

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

This is one problem I don't have --- with more foster cats than I can shake a stick at in my house, I don't think there's a mouse crazy enough to even think about coming near our home :)

But, for the ultrasonic deterrants, I had good luck with them as well. Never saw them, they just packed up and headed for the hills. I had about 2000 pounds of popcorn in my warehouse. For 4 or 5 years, I never saw evidence of them getting near the corn.

I have been warned that mice will eat the insulation off of wires. This is especially the case in older Mercedes (newer too?) where they used a soy based insulation on the wires....Just another example of when the designer said "What could possibly go wrong!?'

There are capsaicin-based sprays that you can spritz on wire looms as non-toxic deterrents...I sprayed everything I could see in my class A back in the day.

12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Hopefully you're still getting to see some beautiful things. I want to go up there some time. twice, once in June and again in December. I'd want to see both extremes....

13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

IFKYK.

If I ever talk about "Sky Blue Pink" --- this is as close to a photo of the color as I can make.

Attached Files:

14. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Kevin, dustinp, Randy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Not at all --- always find factoids interesting. Which is why no one will play trivia games with me.

Every time I see the color (most prominently in the morning, the picture was at night), I think of a marvelous woman who called this "Sky blue pink" --- She lived with her adult daughter, grand daughter, and son-in-law.

At that time, my existence was hand to mouth on a good week, some days we didn't eat because we had nothing except a pile of problems. This family fed us, befriended us, and helped us through a pretty rough patch. Every time I see this ...I think fo them.

16. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
    Ken & Peggy, Tour 931 and dustinp like this.
  17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I added almost 1400 miles, and 9 nights to Serenity. I got to check off an item from my bucket list (visiting Centralia Pennsylvania) and visit an iconic old-school amusement park I've wanted to visit for a couple of years.

I need to 'take a break' - from camping? Well, sort of. First, my tow vehicle is in the body shop thanks to a kind and moped (she's OK) in a stationary accident. Second, I will start a new job tomorrow, and I anticipate being mentally exhausted.

New Chapter. It's time to get back to direct customer-facing skills and start being technical again. I'm learning new skills and refocusing my Microsoft products, which is what i suspect will be the hardest part. I really do not like Microsoft, I never have. But --- this will get my tech-chops refreshed and maybe I can springboard to another position in the same company, or, save enough money that I can do what I want to do.

It's hard to believe that it has been 75 days since my former full-time employer sent me home. Since I was a work-from-home employee, it may be better to say, "stopped paying me"

It's time for a cup of rich Columbian coffee and to get ready for a trip to my attorney is trying to open the probate for my parents...Not difficult, just trying.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2024
  18. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Enough of the rain already. We had over an inch two days ago and another half inch yesterday. All while I’m trying to get my garage built.
    815E038C-7E88-4F5A-BF6A-E9A3CAB41A24 by Tour 931 posted Jul 23, 2024 at 5:54 AM

It should be 95% complete now but it’s barely even framed.
    540881F7-1A2B-4EEE-81BB-4F63AF70FA1E by Tour 931 posted Jul 23, 2024 at 5:54 AM

Kevin and Randy like this.
  19. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Looks like a nice size garage! My brother in law just finished one about that size, I've got to say I'm filled with jealously :) Especially if he puts in the 2 post lift he was thinking about ;)

Kevin likes this.
  20. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

I'm really enjoying these progress reports!