Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It’s up and functional although the electricity still needs to be hooked up.
    7CAA7459-B806-49C5-B157-A4104803F6E5 by Tour 931 posted Jul 26, 2024 at 2:03 PM
    5615F2DE-DC42-4FCC-9800-A466CA519CC9 by Tour 931 posted Jul 26, 2024 at 2:03 PM
    400F4746-B3AC-4093-BBAF-755F287E0B12 by Tour 931 posted Jul 26, 2024 at 2:03 PM

2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

This coyote was chasing mice for breakfast in my hayfield.
    29A8F96E-1A35-43C2-AC50-004A9FC02095 by Tour 931 posted Jul 27, 2024 at 5:50 AM

Randy, dustinp and Kevin like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

When one door closes, another one opens...
    Getting the paperwork over is a relief, too.
    On to the next adventure, big guy!

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Doing my best "Dr Nick" -- "Hi Everbody"! Its been an interesting week, starting my plan "C" job, I'm a bit overwhelmed. For 24 years, I had been an "old timer" who knew everybody, and could get things done becoming the "new guy" in a very diverse rural coop. Involved in Telephone, Electricity, Internet, Water, Saw, and MSP. MSP's are "IT for companies too small to have their own IT" --- yikes, lots go learn!

My boss has told me she expects at least 90 days of feeling like the chair I am sitting in just fell over backwards.

Oh wow! If I had the space, I'd love something like that -- My brother inlaw did this at his homestead, adding a 4 post lift, spray foam and a heat pump, winter maintenance got a lot easier. I'm envious!

Seeing the note above is been a difficult two weeks - My only 'regret' is that there is no vacation to speak of. I get 6.67 hours of PTO per month, or 2 weeks, that is sick time, vacation, for any purpose. That is a little "stingy" but so far that is the only major bummer.

We'll see how this all works.

Kevin and Warren Mary Ellen like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

The Dr Nick reference is funny!
    Sweeney I imagine you will be knocking it out of the park once you get past the "chair falling over backwards" stage.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
    Tour 931 likes this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

We're into the wildfire season-
    Bad one up north.
    Reading about it, I found this online mapping tool; enabled in by ESRI for national area burn locations. Handy when traveling:

genasys Protect

Not as detailed as Gaia, but free and easy to use

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2024
    SethB, Van_and_Terri and Tour 931 like this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Me too. There's always an adjustment period. My only concern is that I need focus to do things I need to do, and time to learn products that we support and sell...and I have a manager whos attention span is equivalent to a spider monkey on crack. New "top priority" every day, on things she know will take longer than a week. He also gives instructions in choppy incomplete sentences --- my colleague get frustrated with both of these facts, it not just me.

Regarless, after 20+ years at my old job, I'm not a quitter....so 6 months seems like a reasonable trial period....we'll see how I can form this...

Dr. Nick has always been one of my favorites...."Hello Everybody!"

So glad we don't have to worry about that much here in the midwest --- especially after we got about an hour of "gully washer" yesterday...rained hard enough the gutters on commercial buildings with 6 inch downspouts were overflowing.

California has always been a mad-made paradise, Los Angeles would be a desert if hadn't created the water system they did back at the founding of the state...

There is an interesting radio program that was made way back in the glory days of radio called "Romance of the Rancos" -- while it does take some liberty, from what the host of the network had to say, it was reasonably accurate enough -- one of the two channels I miss from my "Free trial" of XM/Serious radio....love old radio, and 40's music...

Romance of the Ranchos | Old Time Radio

Kevin likes this.
  8. SethB

SethB Ranger

Did we talk about Watch Duty (app) on this forum? Somebody recommended it to me - it’s excellent in many ways.

I’ve been using EPA AirNow, OregonAir, and tried Firesource.

I think Watch Duty is much easier to navigate, the specific fire info is the stuff joe/jane public needs, it has all the AQI stations, evac zones. It does not have a current smoke overlay, but does have all those AQI stations and wind direction. The map is so easy to navigate compared to the others. I’ve become a fanboy!

We have always enjoyed late season camping in the Fall. This may be our last year - shifting more to spring because of smoke and related closures. Hello mosquitos!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
    Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  9. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Taking a few days and visiting parts of Michigan we have never made it to, Mackinaw Island being one of those places. Spent the day walking the town, and spent the big $$ on brunch at the Grand Hotel. Lovely place. Now we've been there.

Van_and_Terri, Sweeney, Kevin and 3 others like this.
  10. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

Nice pictures did you take the ferry out of Mackinaw city or Saint Ignace to Mackinac Island? Here are a few of our pictures….

Attached Files:

Ken & Peggy, Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  11. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I own a 550 and a 560 and around the homestead I get the keys mixed up. After grabbing the wrong set too many times I finally solved the problem by ordering a key tag.
    F7C1A1AE-297F-4B4E-90E6-6CD7FF87DAA9 by Tour 931 posted Aug 3, 2024 at 9:25 AM

I know the month and year don’t match but it does solve the problem.
    63A0509A-26DC-47CE-88D6-CA154BA6630F by Tour 931 posted Aug 3, 2024 at 9:25 AM

When I’m on the road I only carry the set for the one I’m towing. Those keys are on a shoelace I loop through my belt loop and it’s long enough to reach the galley and side doors.
    I generally take both sets and leave the extra trailer key in the tow vehicle and keep the extra tow vehicle key in the teardrop.

Van_and_Terri and Kevin like this.
  12. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Seth, no I dont think we have- thanks for the tip.
    I'll check it out.
    UPDATE: oh yeah, this app is VERY handy- only the west US but inuititive and easy to drill down to local areas, key info like EVAC orders...seems faster than InciWeb based data, too via Gaia.

Here is another more RT resource from NASA on overhead detection of fires, I stumbled on reading news this AM:
    NASA-FIRMS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
    dustinp likes this.
  13. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Great pics! Awww, who's a good dog!

14. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Wow! Pro pix!

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Beautiful island -- though the initial step off the ferry has a certain "je ne sais quoi" too it :) We have been there multiple times. Mrs Sweeney's nephew, back in his college years, used to be the head coachman for the hotel. Unfortunately, we never got to see any of behind the scenes magic.

We used to stay at a private campground near by, Mackinac Mill Creek --- right on the lake, with a view of the bridge. It was a very nice plus, but like so many private campgrounds they've gotten very proud of what they have to offer...

Where are you staying?

Kevin and Ken & Peggy like this.
  16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Good idea...where/who/how did you get the license plate tag? I look at the pile of keyrings on my desk sometimes and think of opening a used car lot...

dustinp and Kevin like this.
  17. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

The good dog is Khazbar

Attached Files:

Kevin likes this.
  18. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

The falls in the background are Potato Falls up in Tours area near Copper Falls St Park

Potato

Attached Files:

19. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

Copper

Attached Files:

20. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Great pics! We took the ferry from St Ignace - camped at Straits SP.