Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Back in Washington I would sleep in the CI that had a/c for the four nights in the summer it got too hot in the house. I suspect I’ll do the same thing here.

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

We've thought about doing that...a 5000 BTU window shaker that pulls 4 amps running...a heck of a lot less than the big whole house...AC is a NECESSITY in the midwest starting just about any time now until September.

Today is cloudier and with rain moving in this evening....I need to start thinking about painting projects. Built a shed in 2020 I need to pain the trim on, and a little around the windows. which will likely spill out into re-trimming the whole house. Its rock fronted with T1-11 around back.

Next yera the T1-11 is getting replaced with something much better...that stuff is junk Of course when I do that, it means new windows to get more air in the bedroom --- and likely spray in foam insulation, since I'll have the cavities open...maybe some rewiring too....when I"m at that....

While completely unrelated and discussed elsewhere, the honda eu2200 handles the AC perfectly...4amp running, spike to 16 amp on compressor start --- just enough to get a burp....

Tour 931 likes this.
  3. When I started teaching in SC in 1990, the school had no AC. I was cooler outside at football practice than in the building during the day. Not sure how we used live here without AC. Last day with kids today, so school is out tomorrow for me. Mary Ellen has to go until Monday in her district.

Tour 931 likes this.
  4. campdude

campdude Ranger

In Wisconsin it gets a bit humid in August but, until then the AC isn't really a necessity for us. And being that I complain in January & February that it's so darn cold ...I will gladly take these sunny days.

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.
  5. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Never had AC in NC in school until I got in High School in the early 70s.

6. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Did you ever get that capacitive start unit installed to slowly start the AC, and cut down on the startup amperage draw to eliminate that burp/bark??

7. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

I read the other day (can't find the link right now for the life of me) that we just have more 95-100+ degree days now than we did in the 90s (at least here in Chicago). It really was easier to go without AC a couple of decades ago.

8. Never had AC in school until I went to college in ‘86. Then in the early ‘90s I taught in school in SC a without AC Ffor 2 years.

9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Not yet....starts fine without it, with the exception of the burp, so it is still in the "nice to have" not the "Gotstahave" categroy.

The stopper is space. There isn't enough room inside one of the 5000 BTU units to fit the capacitor inside, and I don't want to drill sideways into a bin, additionally my bins are both full. So, I'd have to remote mount it. Which can be done technically, just have to splice wires. Maybe remote mount the start under neath? Its in a heavy duty case...possible....how do I get wires to it -- the only path outside is through the drain tube.

Down the train tube might be technically possible...but this would greatly increase the risk of a clog and leak situation....

Kind of out of ideas on this

dustinp likes this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

We had AC in high school in the 80s. However it was a private school and it was far cheaper to open the windows --- which is what they did. I remember a fan on really warm days....but those were not common, and usually not needed since school didn't start until Labor day --- and by then you are generally past the intense heat of July

11. campdude

campdude Ranger

Man-o-man...do we sound like a bunch of old folks on here...."Back in our day we had to..." But on the bright side we are still here to be able to chat about it.

12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'm giving up the fight --- I'm pulling my pants higher every couple days and practicing "Get off my lawn! Darned kids!"

I should have it mastered by August.

dustinp, M&L, Tour 931 and 2 others like this.
  13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

The low last night was 36F. Silly me thought it was summer.

dustinp likes this.
  14. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I finally dug my motor home out of the mud. When I parked it here three plus months ago it was frozen solid. Then the spring thaw came and it sank down to the axles. After using the leveling jacks to raise it I threw dirt under the tires and lowered it Then I threw dirt under the Jack stands and repeated this process six times.
    74253059-4FF8-440A-98F1-0733A0EC6EFA by Tour 931 posted Jun 7, 2022 at 4:41 AM

The Class A looked so out of place in the driveway. Now I can widen it by digging out the left side and putting the earth to the right and covering it with gravel. It will give me a turn around area so I don’t have to back up the 300 yards.
    The CI is more my style and I use the sink almost every day instead of going inside.

Kevin and M&L like this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

yuck - That made for an interesting couple hours work...I can't say I envy you :D

For the record, the stabilizer/leveling jacks on a camp-inn can be used for tire changes as well using

16. Long Truong

Question do you guys use a cordless drill for the leveling jacks in lieu of doing it by hand? I tried using my home drill and but it's insufficiently powerful

Kevin likes this.
  17. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Yes. I use a drill on high speed to run the jacks down, then switch to low to raise any significant weight. The sound of the drill tells me when it is becoming unhappy.
    Tire change? I used the drill first, then it became VERY unhappy and did it by hand. I will tell you that using the hand crank that comes with the teardrop is the wrong tool for tire changing. It will do it, but it is very slow and difficult. I now carry a dedicated rachet socket wrench in the tire compartment in case I need to change the tire. Works great, worth the $13 or so I spent on it.

Kevin likes this.
  18. Long Truong

Maybe I need a more powerful drill?

19. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I use a 3/8 drive craftsman and a socket...1 less thing to carry, and it gets the job done very easily...

A drill motor won't produce enough torque and the rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat of an impact driver just echos through the campground...and I don't want to distrub anyone elses calm.

Kevin likes this.
  20. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Great tip Sweeney.

Sweeney likes this.