Itinerary 2011 Nw Camp-inn Round Up - It's Official!

Discussion in 'Gatherings' started by Evan, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

fpoole, nice phew alot of em pictures.

thanks for sharing

2. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Thanks for all the pics - now I can not wait to return to the north west - great area.

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Looks like it was a huge success! A great looking campground and quite a few different setups. Great pics fpoole!

4. Oysterpot

Did ya notice the jackets, and sweatshirts, and folded arms, like it was cool or cold? Me thinks the NW is where I want to be in the summer.

5. Oysterpot

Evan, were you and Lena the only ones doin the cookin for the group?

6. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

You Betcha!

7. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Great pictures looks like all had a good time.Steve :)

8. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

It was cool in the shade and there was a slight breeze. Once you stepped into the sunny areas, it felt like you had completely changed locations. It was hot! But then, it was 68 today, and I have been wearing a tank top and sweating, so I think we might have different standards when it comes to heat than most of the folks in the US. The bright side...it was a dry-cool through the weekend, at least. My favorite kind of cool...no complaints! :)

9. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

George,

We did most of the Dutch oven cooking, but Alan from CA also has his DO out for a pineapple upsidown cake. We also reheated one of Martha's pies in our DO - in between downing Frank's margaritas and mud slides.

10. Oysterpot

Sweets and Margaritas????? Why would ya ruin a good Rita :crazy:

11. Evan

Not all at the same time :)

12. AllanFran

AllanFran Newbie

We also want to thank Evan and Lena for the arrangements, and all the other folks for good company and great ideas. We are looking forward to the next one!

Fran and Allan arrived home last night, with Julia just behind to visit with us for a few days and to shop for some of the new idea items.

We had a night up some mountain west of Crater Lake after looking for USFS's Huckleberry Camp for a couple of hours -- supposedly 20 sites somewhere but the signs petered out after a couple of miles and there were many junctions at which to get lost. We were not the only ones -- trailers, cars full of tent campers, running up and down the roads everywhere, all looking for the campground. We stayed at the end of a road, which was very nice and totally isolated, but had cell phone coverage so we could tell friends where we were in case we couldn't find out way out in the AM.

BTW, the next morning we did find Huckleberry CG. It is virtually abandoned, only found sites 16 through 19 (18 and 19 full of range cows looking bemused by our visit), and our hilltop was better. Obviously NO ONE had found Huckleberry Campground for at least a couple of years.

The road out was a heck of a lot better than when going in. Same road, different state of mind.

Tues and Wed AM at Crater Lake were lovely. CG at Mazama is really very pleasant, and $13.50 with the poppy card. Came back through Klamath Falls to I-5 at Weed. Long drive home with lots of road work going on in OR and CA.

13. Mick'nSarah

What is the poppy card? I have never heard of that.

I want to get down to Crater Lake soon. I haven't been in 25 years and I would love to spend some time there. It is so gorgeous and I have been seeing some different stories about it recently on The Oregon Experience (PBS) that piqued my interest in getting back there. Maybe in Sept...we'll see! Our next trip is to Silver Falls State Park, outside of Salem. I love the hiking trails there!

14. jfocallag

Sarah,

The 'poppy card' is the senior pass to the National Parks:

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

The pass includes 50% off camping fees as well as free access to National Parks I believe.

My Mom has the handicapped version. We didn't pay to enter either The Grand Tetons or Yellowstone and camping was 50% off.

I think you have a ways to go before you can get a 'poppy card.' :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  15. jfocallag

Uh oh, Mom and I going camping in Mt. Hood national forest over Labor Day weekend. I hope we don't have trouble finding Lost Creek Campground!

16. Mick'nSarah

Yep, I do. Explains why I have never heard about it. I was guessing that is what it was. I knew they had special senior cards, but had never heard them called the poppy cards. Thanks Joan!

17. jdfreeland

jdfreeland Newbie

NW Gathering Wrap Up

Evan (and Lena and Katlyn) -- I don't know if this is the right place for this post, but Jim and I (and Trina the cat) want to thank you for such a great introduction into the Camp Inn community. We had so much fun meeting our fellow TD and RD owners and checking out the rigs and the set ups. Plus the great food you all prepared -- it was well beyond anything we could have expected.
    Also thanks to Frank and to Martha who individually managed to introduce us to new and unusual ways to consume alcohol. Jim and I thought that sailors knew all there was to know about drinking "on the hook" (AKA away from shore power), but we were sooo wrong.
    All together a great weekend and a great introduction to the new addition to our retirement

Diana and Jim
    Clementine
    TD 384

18. Evan

Re: NW Gathering Wrap Up

Diana, we really enjoyed hanging out with you guys. Thanks for driving so far to make it. :) And, yes those mudslides and shooters were GREAT. We hope to see you next time!

19. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Fun Diana & Jim,
    Enjoyed "Sitt'n 'n a Sipp'n" with you both.. and the cat.
    Those Jello cups were a great Idea, just like carrying Jelly packets... fun... thanks Mar... those were a kick....
    Sadly, we seem to have too much time enjoying the libations "On the Hook"... and there is always some new way to meet the goal.

Fun for all, see you on the road... and don't forget?????
    The 'Mentos & Coke' for the nightly entertainment.

20. martha

martha Newbie

LOL!! You're very welcome.