Solar: issues to consider?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by AlCat, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

My research showed the average run for a Dometic to be 2.5 - 3 amps averaged at 25 degrees C for a daily high. Compressor time was over 5 amps. I wondered if the 45 watts was an average figure, although it should be closer to 33 watts.

Babble - I found the smaller storage compartment in the 550 under the mattress will hold 8 1/3 gallons of water unless you put something in it.

Hilditch

2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

like tequila

:)

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Yes, I have 3 brunton panels, a homemade extention cord for them, and a 'Fantastic' 12v box fan in one of the larger under bed storage bins. It takes a few minutes to set up the panels, connect all the cords, but it's worth it for free power (and no ice. Hehe). Get some of those mini bungee cords, they are best to hold Panels to table, ground, car, whatever.

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

now you're talk'n

5. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  6. jfocallag

I have been doing some more research on solar panels. I found these through the Little Guy website. Not as flexible as the Brunton but also not as expensive.

http://www.zampsolar.com/

There is a dealer close by so I will check them out.

7. slumry

slumry Novice

I have looking at the Zampsolar line as well; they are more expensive than the ULSolar line but they fold and are easier to store. They already have a controller and the jacks they use look like they are different than the CI standard so I think the panels might take some work before they will work for a CI.

8. jfocallag

I am hoping that there is an adapter that would connect to their panel and plug into my solar outlet. I like that they fold and have a protective case. I also like that they have the built in stand for angling to the sun.

9. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

I saw the ZampSolar also when I was looking at other trailers. Thought that if I ever got the urge for solar after I get my CI next year I would give them a call and see if they would sell the 80 watt kit without the solar regulator, just the folding panels and carrying case. Local solar dealer here in Denver sells the 80 watt for $508, the 120 for $708 on their website.

10. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Jenn Matt Rogers posted earlier in this thread about his use of the Brunton, 26 watt panels. Sounded like he had 3 daisy chained together for just over 75 watts. But they are expensive. Amazon has them for $341.20 EACH. On the other hand UL Solar sells a traditional panel, like the one Evan has, at 80 watts for about $199. The Brunton weighs an amazing 28 oz. per panel so just over 5.25 lbs for 3 of them vs 16 lbs for 85 watt from ULSolar. Maybe Matt and Evan can give an update on their experiences on each?

11. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Not a whole lot to report on mine. It stays on the roof where I mounted it and so the weight isn't really an issue - neither is the portability. As far as function, it works great. Where there is decent sunlight we can run anything we want including the stereo all day long and never run out of power. When winter camping, however, the shorter days don't allow for enought sunlight to keep everything going. So we had to prioritize - furnace before TV.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

They are indeed a bit pricy, but after buying one and using it. It wasn't hard to buy the other two. Just being able to store easily under bed and hidden when not used is almost worth it. Also you can use them at home to charge things like cell phones. There are tons of adapters included.

13. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Matt, do you have any concerns about leaving them out recharging if you aren't at the campsite? They look great but I don't know if I would be comfortable leaving them unattended. Regular solar panel sitting on the ground probably less of a target.

14. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

I prefer not to leave them out. I rarely leave my site anyways but when I do, they are put away.

15. Jim 2011

Jim 2011 Novice

Based upon this thread I just looked at the Zampsolar website and wrote to ask if they will sell their folding panels without the controller, and if so, how much? I have the CI solar option but no panels as of yet. As others have said, I liked the storage and "portability" factors as well as the tilt legs. They also sell a connection kit with a trailer side connector. Rather than try and rig up a connector to connector adaptor perhaps the CI sidewall connector can be replaced without too much effort. Anyway, as I get more information I will post it here.
    Jim

16. AlCat

Hi, Jim. Any update?

17. AlCat

18. AlCat

but if you are camping next to me, that will only work one time

because the next time you try to start your car, it will not start, I promise.

I HATE it when people let their cars run at a campsite. Why should I have to sit/sleep/etc. next to your stinky car exhaust?

I completely understand the cost concern, as well as the hassle, etc. aspects. But if you turn on your car engine and let it run, I am turning on some Deep Purple and turning it up. LOUD.

I am, of course, kidding. But I hate generators in campgrounds, mostly because someone is always violating the quiet rules. So I have to suffer because that guy wants his milk colder (or wants to watch TV!!)?

I probably wouldn't let my engine idle unless there was no one around me.

I promise, I am not this cranky in real life.

-Al

19. slumry

slumry Novice

I am also in the market for a solar solution, however, because of my power requirements I am looking at 120 watt solution. A few more options to consider--

My favorite one, except for price, is this technology:

http://www.globalsolar.com/products/military/p3-124

It was suggested by Cary.

This is a cheap version of the Zampsolar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120W-folding-solar-panels-cell-monocrystallline-solar-panel-CE-/330720886073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d00803d39

It is monocrystallline which provides a bit better performance.

This one is pretty cheap and an option if storage is a real issue. It may be more difficult to deploy, but I figure I can just put them on the roof when camping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-60W-Semi-Flexible-solar-panels-panel-car-boat-varavan-CE-total-120w-/330711511205?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item4cfff130a5

I don’t think these panels would be difficult to rewire, add or remove a controller or customize. Adding two panels in parallel is simple.

Last time I checked ebay there were not a lot of options, now there are a lot more foldable and flexible panel options.

20. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

[​IMG]

This is what Jenn is talking about. Couldn't open the door to tell the guy to shut off his exhaust.