Solar: issues to consider?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by AlCat, Oct 11, 2011.

1. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

The powerfilm looks nice but it has to be DRY to work. My panel is collecting even when it's raining.

The Goal Zero also has the built-in handles that you can wrap a chain or cable around for at least a little security.

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Since you are mentioning them Oly I do have to get a plug out there. CaliforniaPC is a excellent source. One of the owners is a long time Camp-Inn customer and he has been our main source of technical info on solar technology. Here is their website:
    http://www.californiapc.com/

Cary

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Zamp solar is the way to go. Portable with a nice protective case to carry it in. zampsolar.com
    Dave

4. just received our Zamp 40 watt portable panel today. We didn't have CI install the external solar connector (our oversight) but Zamp includes the battery quick disconnect kit with the purchase. Steve at Zamp threw in a cigarette adapter plug with unit. I disconnected the battery post cable clamps and plugged in the cig. adapter and the unit is ready to operate after selecting the battery type (lead/acid) on the converter. If things work accordingly, we won't have to drill and wire the quick disconnect. The unit cost $299 (no tax or shipping) through Solardealz. I know from previous posts that 40 watts may not serve alot of other campers but we run a minimum of elecrical appliances (no AC, refrigerator, etc.). We just run galley lights, cabin lights, the faucet pump and the fan.
    The entire folding unit fit snugly in the "hard" soft case and they've simplified the support legs (just lift the leg and extend it to the angle needed). No wingnuts to fasten or connect. They haven't updated their video yet because this improvement was just made with the new shipment they received. We hope to keep our battery topped off when docked for 4-5 days in the southwest and felt the 40 watt was sufficient.
    Happy tears to y'all.

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Thanks for the info on the Zamp. Be sure to post your experience with it once you've put it into service.

6. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

This should work well for you. If a person was to get a portable refrigerator you would need a larger one. In any case you are better off without the refrigerator. They will only keep food cool to 40 deg below ambient. Enjoy your new toys.

Dave

7. Cary Winch

Dave,

The 40 degree below ambient thing is for a thermoelectric cooler. That is very different from the portable fridges like we sell. Not only is the 40 degrees below ambient just not effective in a teardrop environment but the power draw is substantially higher and solar would likely not be a solution because the consumption is too much for these portable solar options.

Actual powered fridges like the two models we offer do indeed get very cold. They will freeze in a 120 degree ambient.

You are right, the larger panel is needed for one of these powered fridges. Where as the smaller panel Duane got will work fine for his simple basic trailer load.

Cary

8. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

I was refering to the Dometic CF-35 which I purchased from Camping World about a year ago. It does not keep food in a safe range. Camping World informed me that a 40 diff from the bottom to center of refigerator was normal. So I guess if you set if for 10 degrees F. you would be ok. My complaint is with Camping World. They would not even check the temperature without charging me $75.00 to check it.

My point was exactly as you described if you want to power a refigerator you need a larger panel.

I have to assume that the units you sell work much better than what I have.

Dave

9. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I actually met a domestic rep this summer and talked to him about this (he has a boat and was at one of the outstations with us). Boaters are big fans of these fridges, and my dad has recently bought one based on our experience. He mainly uses it as a back up freezer for meats and such, but it is a back up fridge. The fridge on their boat has not been very reliable and it is piece of mind. That is a long story!

There is a temperature difference in the fridge, but it shouldn't be that extreme. A lot of it has to do with what and how you are packing. I keep all meats and things that need to stay really cold on the bottom, I pack things there tight because most of it goes in frozen and it stays frozen longer when t is together. It is just like a freezer at home. You are more efficient with your freezing when the freezer is full. Fruits, veg, cheese, etc I layer on top, but don't pack quite as tight, using the fridge philosophy that you want more space for circulation. The fridge and freezer work in opposite ways. Plus the frozen foods below are helping keep the temp down. Everything goes in to the fridge cold, and I pre-cool the fridge as well.

I also have my fridge set lower than most on the form. I think many people set their fridges for 32*F. I have mine set for 27*F, and find things stay plenty cold. I found 32*F wasn't cold enough for me. When the milk starts getting low, it might freeze a little at 27*F (ice crystals, but I don't have that problem when I use the milk in glass bottles...better insulation I think). It has worked beautifully for us. No problems.

Just the 2 cents there. Don't have much to add for the solar bit though.

Good luck!

10. Cary Winch

Dave,

You should call Dometic's tech support line in your owner's manual. They should be able to help you out. It sounds like your fridge is defective. The CF-35 is one of the two brands we do sell. Our experience with this model says that your result is no where near what it should be doing. We have seen units have failures when new so this does seem possible something is wrong with yours.

Cary

11. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I also pack the CF-35 as outlined by Mick. Set the temp at 35 though, lower the milk freezes in plastic jugs. Usually set milk in a corner. Not interested in carrying a glass bottle.

Don't know what the templ difference between bottom and top, but nothing like you described. Top food items have always been cold as expected. Have frozen lettuce a few times. Now I don't bring it.