Solar: issues to consider?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by AlCat, Oct 11, 2011.

1. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

for those of you who are going this route (charging via the tow vehicle), PLEASE only do this if you have a newer model tow vehicle. I've camped next to some very old vehicles, and I'd hate to be next to one of those idling for two hours.

I hate being next to a NEW tow vehicle that is idling, but new vehicles emit pure oxygen compared to the old ones.

Fortunately, the old vehicles are more and more rare. I love looking at them, and I appreciate the effort and care required to keep them on the road, but I don't want to camp next to one that is idling. I don't see why anyone should have to breathe air pollutants so someone can keep their butter cold or run their stereo longer.

-Al

2. slumry

slumry Novice

Ed, all you have to do is get the optional Camp-Inn Zombie Deterrent System. It is in the secret options section, kind of like In-N-Out. It is a little pricey, but worth every penny.

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Jenn,

There is a series of Quirk Classics, written by a current author and the original author, that take the classic and add some horror to it. It is pretty funny in parts, and a little scary, with a bit of old school. There are tons of them now. Some are better than others. I read PPZ not even realizing it was a trilogy. Might need to grab the other two books!

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejud...ltraviolent/dp/1594743347/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. AlCat

I dunno. I hate generators, but I understand that folks need them. Ask me how I felt about the family using a generator all freakin day while they watched TELEVISION on a huge flat screen they had dragged along on the trip. :) (I was not laughing at the time, ans I was THRILLED when they were gone the next morning.) At least they turned it off when quiet time started.

In real life, I am a much nicer guy.

I am guessing the car has much better emissions controls than the generator, so I would prefer the car to the generator. The car would also be much quieter.

5. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Exactly why we are getting the solar wiring option. We have a 95 watt panel. So hopefully we can avoid some of those generators.
    Idling a vehicle to charge back the battery sounds like a real pain. Hard on the vehicle, a waste of gas, and expensive.
    The solar is quiet, pollution free and easy. I just feel it is money well spent.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Jenn, generators at campgrounds are selfish!
    It can really ruin the trip for your neighbors while you are making snow cones in your giant class A.

The brunton solar panels have worked well for us under most circumstances. I had to make an extension cord so I can place the panels in the sun while the trailer is in the shade.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

I use 3 daisy chained together, usually placed on the provided picnick table or ground. They all fit easily in one of the under bed storage bins along with other stuff. I will set them up labor day weekend and take some pictures. There are lots of pics I need to post of other projects etc.

8. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Jenn,
    I saw the same concept by a generic brand for half the price, but I cannot remember where I saw them...if I do, I will post it. These are pricey, but very nice and versatile. You can just use one to charge your cell phone etc if you want. Honestly, I don't leave them out at night, or if everyone has left our site. They would be really easy to steal. We used them on a rural private property, I staked them to the ground where no one/thing would step on them and left them hooked up for a week. It kept up with my demand very well. It was winter and the Dometic was left at home. But I used the furnace, lights, radio, tv etc with no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Watt-Foldable-Solar-Array/dp/B000GEFFBO

http://store.bruntonoutdoor.com/portable-power/panels-and-chargers/solaris-26-12v/

9. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

10. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

11. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Matt,
    Since Hurricane Sandy hit and with Obamanomics headed our way, we're rethinking everything and have decided to go solar. I'm re-reading everything here and will start researching again. Gotta get ready for the Apocalypse! Seriously, living on the Gulf Coast in Hurricane Ally, if we loose power we have the CI in the garage and I can put the solar panel in the drive and hook up to the CI and have power if it's a "small" hurricane not headed our way. If it's a biggy headed our way, we're outta here and solar will be good to have!

12. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I am looking at solar panels again but I am confused as to what type of plug I need for the CampInn set up that uses the Marinco 12 V port. Is it just an MC4 plug referred to in one of the earlier posts?

I found this website. I like the foldable panels like Matt's Bruntons. This is another option:

http://www.portablesolarpower.biz/collections/portable-solar-panels

13. slumry

slumry Novice

Joan,

Solar panels either come with their own controller or they don’t. In both cases, in order to use them with a Camp-Inn trailer you will need nothing more than a standard 12 volt cigar lighter type plug. If you got the solar option for your trailer, you should have a built in controller and an external outlet that connects to the built in controller. With the solar option, Camp-Inn normally provides a plug; however, you will have to wire it to a panel without a controller. The jack they provide I believe has some weather sealing. If you have a panel that has a controller, they frequently have a cable with a jack that will work out of the box. Just be sure to plug it into any DC port on the trailer except the solar panel outlet. No special jack should be needed in either case, certainly not the MC4.

Stephen

14. jfocallag

Thanks Stephen. I don't recall getting a plug for the solar port as part of the solar option that CI installed. I will have to look for it. I am looking at panels without a built in controller.

15. jfocallag

Found it. Now how to wire it...

16. David Olson

David Olson Novice

The plug is easy to wire. Just take your time and get the polarity right. It is pretty nice to jsut plug it into the side of the CI.

17. jfocallag

Thanks Oly. I did take it apart over the weekend and found a youtube video on how to wire it. First step is to decide on the panel then worry about wiring it. I agree, it will be nice just to plug it into the side of the CI.

18. AlCat

19. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

After reading this thread, I found a Goal Zero 30M for $200. I spliced in a 30 foot extension and wired it to the original Marinco plug. Everything is working fine. 30 watts is way enough to keep the battery trickle charged. That little briefcase is amazing. It is grabbing solar power even when it's raining. Since I got it we've had just about zero sunshine. I'm really impressed, especially since it's also weatherproof and it folds up real small and nice.

Shine on!

20. David Olson

David Olson Novice

After our summer on the road, I am reconsidering the rigid panel thing. It became a pain in the A-- moving it around all summer, keeping it wrapped when not in use so it didn't get scratched. Short trips no problem.
    I am looking at the Powerfilm 60W foldable panel. This is an Iowa made item. We stopped at the factory in Ames on our way home and saw one.
    They don't normally sell factory direct but they did show us the panel. They said they sell MSRP. CaliforniaPC.com has the best online price. Since they had some items with the Brunton name on them I am sure they make the panels for Brunton.
    www.powerfilmsolar.com
    Not cheap but the reduced weight, space and ease of handling amy make it something to consider.