Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

T-minus 30 minutes to liftoff. All systems are go. Currently 39F and misting. Forecast is for rain most of the way for two days and then sunshine and 70’s on Sunday when we arrive in Ephrata, WA.

It’s going to be great to see my car and trailer again.

campdude and Kevin like this.
  2. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Watching the skies and hoping for VFR (Very Fine Roads) conditions myself...

If the weather cooperates and my time participates - I'll put up a 25 night badge :D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  4. campdude

campdude Ranger

Best of luck on the weather, drive safe and get back home to Wisconsin.

5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Arrived in Moses Lake just 20 miles short of my car and trailer. Will see it again for the first time in five and a half months.

Will need to buy a new battery for the Outback. I was going to get a new one for the winter and then decided to hold off till I picked it up.

Kevin likes this.
  6. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

44F headed to 68 and sunny skies in Moses Lake. Still at the motel waiting for the continental breakfast to open. Then it’s off to the storage lot in Ephrata just 20 miles away.

dustinp likes this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Sounds like a busy day -- Seems to me "Dead batteries aren't much fun" has been discussed :( Were you able to find one? The battery rack at my local retail store was shockingly empty last time I strolled through the auto-department....

This weekend I camping at Quakertown SRA here in Indiana with a very good friend from Church. Enjoyed a camp fire on Friday, a sampler of Makers Mark, a slightly overcooked piece of cod, and some of the best conversation I had in several years. We made it into Brookeville Indiana and spent a couple hours walking around the town enjoying a scoop of icecream, and visiting a DVD rental store there. Yah --- some places don't have ability to stream yet hollywood....

Today started with going to Mass, then heading to the "hobo hut" in Batesville Indiana for breakfast.

I have to say this was the best weekend I have had in many, many months --- possibly even the last couple years.

Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  8. Temps in the upper 80s today & most of the week. Not ready for this yet, need a few more weeks in the 70s.

9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Mother nature is off her meds in my part of the woods this week. Lows in the mid 40's ending with highs at 80 degrees by this time next week. At least there isn't snow in the forecast.

This is going to be a busy week. I've had the camper out for a few non-fun trips (Although this past weekend was amazingly relaxing)

I got to play with a new canopy --- since Pahaque turned their backs on all but mega-mini campers. I just can't call a t@b a tearddrop --- too big, and too small to be a standee. I hate marketing people.

Regardless, this is a good candidate for one of the best canopies I've seen. I had to import it from europe sadly, and they aren't inexpesnive --- but gives a wind and rain resistant cover that stood up to 20 mph guests and kept me dry several small rain events passed overhead.

Full review coming.

Apparently I attached the wrong image prior...

View attachment upload_2022-5-3_13-1-18.png

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    dustinp likes this.
  10. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Hard to tell from your picture. Does your new canopy have screens / wind walls on the scalloped openings, or are they open? It looks like it has a covered vented ceiling peak, which is nice for venting built up heat while keeping out the rain. Looking forward to your review!

11. dustinp

Here ya go Sweeney:)
    [​IMG]

12. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I drove 1683 miles in just under 32 hours. This is the only picture I took along the way.
    D708095C-6F39-4332-8FAF-DD4386130943 by Tour 931 posted May 2, 2022 at 5:36 PM

campdude, M&L, Kevin and 1 other person like this.
  13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

At least it’s parked in my driveway.
    5D3B69D2-A8BB-4268-89CA-F891D2391918 by Tour 931 posted May 2, 2022 at 5:36 PM

14. dustinp

Wow, that booking!
    Haven't done one like that since the mid 70's when I drove solo straight through from Minneapolis to Seattle in 34 hours to see my girlfriend (soon to be wife) Kris on a Thursday, then turned around and drove home again on Sunday in 32 hours so I could go to work on Monday afternoon. I ran out of gas in the middle of the night on the way out there, about 1/2 mile short of the crest that would have taken me all the way down the mountain 10 miles into Butte, MT, so that's why it took an extra two hours on the way out (hard to get truckers to stop at night for a hitchhiker while struggling to make it to the crest). I was in my early 20's then. Not a chance that I would do anything like that at this point, especially with camper in tow. :)

Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Sadly no, its just a domed cover. The roof does have a vent a vented roof (see an updated photo in another post)

I'll review it after a second expedition with it.

16. M&L

M&L Ranger

Very cool! My record is 3,175 miles in 60 hours. I had a conference at Brookhaven National Lab in NY (east end of Long Island), and the wife couldn't go. So I decided to see how fast I could reasonably get across the continent and back.

Our main camping trailer was a Jumping Jack tent trailer, but I opted to leave that at home and instead took the Mustang and a tent cot so I could solo camp along the way. The trip from Napa, CA to my hotel in Riverhead, NY took me 4 days on the way back east, and I stopped overnight in Utah, Nebraska, and Indiana. On the way back to California I knew I could do better, and was able to do it in 60 hours with only two overnight camping stops, one in Missouri and one in Utah.

I don't have any interest in doing that again unless it's an emergency...it was grueling. I much prefer to see some amazing sights and have some great experiences along the way at a much slower pace!.

Kevin, Tour 931 and Cary Winch like this.
  17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I would have taken longer but didn’t because the trailer was full of stuff. I couldn’t even use the bed. Since I drove back to fetch it with a friend I didn’t bring camping things.

Today I’ll be resting and slowly unpacking so I can put the camper in the garage. The setup of my driveway and patio means I can use the galley while grilling outside.

M&L and Kevin like this.
  18. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Wow! Impressive driving stamina!
    Looks like it belongs right there in its new habitat.

19. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Ironbutt riders unite! 1000 miles in 24 hours is my personal best, then probably a couple hundred the next day....around 400 on day #2. In hindsight I would have actually documented it, and added another 100 on day #2....just to get my Iron Butt & SaddleSore 1500

it just wasn't something I wanted to mess with at the time.

Long days on a Suzuki GS1100 Super G...I miss that bike :D And the Kawasaki KZ750GPz my 2 absolute favorites. The BMWK1200LT wasn't bad either, but it was no where near as much fun

Tour 931 likes this.
  20. M&L

M&L Ranger

Nice! The best I've done on a motorcycle is from Napa, California to Cheyenne, Wyoming AND back in 4 days (camping the whole way, too!). Reason: decided to go grab a bison burger and a beer.

Kevin and Cary Winch like this.