Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Don't get me started on craftsman :( They used to be top notch, something arguably as good as snapon today. Snapon - way out of myleague. To be honest, I've been to more than 1 mechanics shop that were full of pittsburgh tools --- I think the logo is partly driven by bragging rights.

Have you looked at Tekton? I have been told that a good part of their product line is still USA made.

I had to make an emergency purchase at a Meijer, a regional chain based out of Grand Rapids. Famous for "Meijer Thifty Acres" or "Shifty Acres" as our family calls it. Anyway, they sold Tekton -- they were affordable and the tools I bought were actually not bad...frankly on parr or better than most of what is sold in the big-box shops today.

2. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

ahh..the things you learn at school..priceless!

Tour 931 and Warren Mary Ellen like this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Summer is definitely here. The temperatures and humidity have gotten to the point where its miserable. Ironically even though the air is humid the soil is parched....boy, do we need some rain.

The nothern half of the state got a nice drenching this morning if the RADAR images are to be believed....

Reminds me of an old joke....what do you call a day with sunny skies, and comfortable temperatures after two days of rain? Monday.

We got out last weekend, but will be home for a while now. Sitting right at 50 days on the camper I just picked up in November --- while most have been for family emergency type travel, I'm feeling well justified in buying the best camper on the market today :)

Anyone here from Houston? A friend is being ordained and has invited me to the sacrament -- I know houston is hotter and probably more humid than where I am --- but, is there a good campground close to the city Some place with trees and shade to escape the "living on the sun" syndrome?

4. Reward for camping in the hot Midwest for 3 weeks is cleaning up the camper & the tow vehicle in the even hotter & more humid South.

5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I don't mind that so much. The only thing I dislike is packing up to leave for a new spot, or to go home from the last location. Although, this is highly dependant on the camp spot. Dappled shade or more is much better than full sun, especially if you wait until later in the day to do it.

Monday we started our pack-out at about 11am. While not the heat of the day, it was close --- and the sun was direct. Unpacking is at least in the shade of our tree or out of the garage where Serenity is stored.

Washing -- depends how I do it. 'coin operated' carwashes are preferred --- mostly because they are shaded and they have all the soaps and rinse agents readily available. If I do it at home, as long as the camper is out of the direct sun is nice becuase its an excuse to play with the hose :)

A pressure washer and buckets of suds is kind of a summer tradition I don't mind. I REALLY don't mind it since I have a DI water filter --- although it is expensive to keep the resin fresh, its nice not having any mineral spots...just lightly rinse off, and let it air dry.

Tour 931 and Kevin like this.

6. We washed it twice on the road at spray off car washes. There is a great one in Bellevue, IA and in Prairie de Chein, WI we used a truck one which worked good. A lot of sap dropped on us at Perrrot State Park and at in Iowa we had to come and go via a dusty gravel road at Bellevue. Here at the house, we keep Jeremiah under an aluminum carport so it is always in the shade. With 3 straigh weeks of camping we just had to do a little bite more heavy cleaning this time. Should've gotten outside sooner knowing it was going to get up to 98 here today. Washing it really doesn't take long. We haven't had much rain here and when we have a dry summer, it gets really hot. My grass did not have to mowed the whole time I was gone because of the dry weather.

7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

A neighbor sold it to me. I’m also getting a 1949 Allis Chambers tractor and some vintage hand tools made in the USA.

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Never heard of Teton. I’ll look into them. Thanks for the info.

Kevin likes this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Those are getting hard to find! We have had 2 in our town just close in the last year as the large automated carwashes moved in. The closest coin-operated bay is now 40 minutes away, and it does not look like it has much life left in it. I used to use the one closer simply because they had a spot free rinse, and I'm too lazy to chamois the thing :)

I have to admit I find hand-washing Serenity to be a bit relaxing....

10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I had an exciting day of sipping tea on my front porch and watching the hay being harvested.
    D36810B5-E9C2-4152-9E6D-11FA1AEB1B44 by Tour 931 posted Jul 9, 2022 at 6:44 PM

campdude, dustinp and Betsey like this.
  11. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

My brother (in Ireland), posted this photo to FB today (July 9). This is from the 1st cut of one of the fields he hays.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    dustinp likes this.
  12. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Another day, another field!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  13. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Love the smell of fresh cut hay as well as bales...Unfortunately, hay does not love me!

upload_2022-7-10_11-31-35.png

campdude likes this.
  14. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I think that is a near universal...that green, sweet smell....Only smell I like better is the smell at a lake with 2 cycle oil :)

I have found 1 camp site where I can get that fix --- used to be called "pick a spot" or some sthing similar. Its right on a small lake where the no-wake zone is right by the campground. The sounds of boats idling through -- that gurgling sound -- just makes me happy....

Weird.

15. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

My all-time favorite (which you either grow up liking or have to acquire a liking) is the scent of a salt marsh. So many good memories growing up with the ocean. :)

16. dustinp

.......or like Robert Duvall liked to say :
    or personally the smell of 100LL avgas mmmm.
    LOL

Cary Winch likes this.
  17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Oh definately!!! My flying has been MOSTLY in C172s -- the smell that comess of the heater is also rather unique...One sniff if that, and I'm at 4500AGL

18. dustinp

If you are getting a smell off the heater, you've probably got an exhaust leak, since the heaters work on fresh air being blown through a heat muff around the exhaust pipes then into the cabin. Hope the plane had a CO monitor, or you could end up a lot higher than 4500 ft. (or lower as the case may be ;-) ).

19. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

No, its not exhaust leak --- every 172 I've flown (most of which were < 2 years old) have the same unique smell. Hot metal perhaps? A solvent used? I would expect it to burn off in the first 100 hours -- but I was closer to 800 and the plane still had the scent.

I'm not an A&P -- but I am a builder --- trust me --- exhaust leaks are first on my mind :)

dustinp likes this.
  20. campdude

campdude Ranger

What a nice view of the country side. Do you ever get over there?

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.