Locks for trailer hitch

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Evan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Re: Locks for trailer hitch - Trimax wheel locks

Yah on the Insurance...
    and Mahogany would bee kewl...

I don't think I'd upgrade to the 560 though... Keeping it simple.. LOL, Yeah, like that ever happened.. funny..

Jenn?
    Feel better about the insurance or 'Better' sarcastically.. like Oh Yeah, seeing him cutting the locks in less than 90 sec... makes me feel better?
    I just bought, of course, the yellow one that he just Snipped and done.. in 3 sec..

I feel reasonably secure in a campsite/rv site.. than out in the wilds...

So I use the one, black one Timax?, and look to insurance.. I guess anyway...

I'll use the Wheel cover for the Buggy trailer... cause that was just TOO !! easy... sigh...

2. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

It seems everone who comments on this is really worried about the theft of their trailer. Do you tie your car down at night?

Give it a rest. Insurance is there for a reason.

I have never seen any reports of stolen trailers and a camp in would be easy to recoginize.

Dave

3. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Unfortunately, a Camp Inn owner had her brand new 550 stolen from her driveway so it does happen. I can only imagine the disappointment of having waited so long and with such anticipation for something to only have it taken a matter of weeks after you got it.

As Cary has said in the past, if someone really wants to take your trailer, they will and yes there is always insurance. I don't think it hurts to make it as difficult as possible. I personally have a hitch lock, wheel lock and I lock the chains to the wheel.

Maybe I am too attached to my trailer...

4. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Jim says, "And the ankle chain doesn't hurt, either...accept during those midnight runs to the restroom. Slows you down a bit."

Nut case, that boy.

I say you've more than got it covered, considering you also have a ferocious guard dog (or is that lap dog) Bailey. So scary..not.

Miss you guys.

Sue and Jim says

5. jfocallag

Oh, Sue, I forgot. Thanks for reminding me. Bailey, my last line of defense:

[​IMG]

6. jfocallag

Tell Jim that is why I have the PETT commode in the side tent. The chain is just long enough to reach.

Hope to see you guys at the Northwest Roundup.

7. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

You have such a cute little dog. Every once in a while I think I want to get a dog but always talk myself out of it. Maybe when I get used to traveling in my teardrop I will get one. maybe I should get a doggie cover for the couch just in case.

8. Jim and Sue L.

Joan,

When's the roundup again? We're kinda tied down with the little ones it's hard to get out. Torn between two loves.

Sue

9. slumry

slumry Novice

Memorial Day weekend; you know you want to be there. Otherwise, we will just talk about you like we did last time. Bring the kiddo, Uncle Frank can babysit.

10. Jim and Sue L.

Oooo! Don't tempt me. I miss you all so much.

But Jim says we can't make it this year. "Sob"

Sue

11. Pick

Pick Novice

I know that nothing stops a determined thief but time is important so I'm putting up all the road blocks I can. I saw the video where most of the locks disscused on the forum were defeated in 90 seconds or less. Does anybody use the Steal Shield ? Seems to me to be the one to take the most time to beat. I will use a wheel lock and lug nut locks and every one Bear uses but as he has said if you see a flat bed tow truck in the camp ground get back to your Camp Inn!
    Mike & Denita
    MDP

12. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Not much is going to stop a thief if they really want something. But most thieves are opportunistic and if they have to work at something too hard,they may just look else where.

13. Lee49

Lee49 Novice

I Protect my stuff with S & W
    or G L O C K

14. Looking at buying this lock on Amazon and there are two types - one is the Tire Claw XL Lock #491KA and the other is Tire Claw XL lock "491 - does anyone know the difference? The second one is slightly cheaper and eligible for Prime. Also has anyone purchased the lug nut protector or will it not work on our trailer?

15. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  16. Mark_inMA

Mark_inMA Novice

The KA means "keyed alike" for most locks which is useful if you are getting two (even padlocks).
    I have a keyed alike pair (TCL265) of another type wheel lock TCL65.
    1) :) Most KA pairs are cheaper than two randoms,
    2) :grin: but it is also nicer to have just one key on the ring.
    3) :D :cool: The biggest factor is bent over not figuring out WHICH of two nearly identical keys fits THIS lock.
    ........ I just have ONE key that looks like that...

In your case

#491 ...... one random keyed lock - if you will only want one
    #491KA-2 . a keyed alike pair for both wheels (single pattern keys fit both)
    #491KA ... Bought in conjunction with #491KA-2 pairs to get an odd number of KA locks.
    Is this for Harley trikes?

17. OK That makes sense. No this is for the Teardrop. If I use Lug nuts I probably only need one?

18. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

I know the topic of theft protection has seen a lot of air time, but I stumbled on this video. The Krok lock seems to be beneficial when the trailer is disconnected at the campground, and the same system can be used to offer some security when connected to the tow vehicle during an hour stop somewhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmV_T-uMB-s

I would value the thoughts of others with more experience than I.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  19. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

I didn't mean to imply that a secure hitch would be the only precaution necessary. However, much like a person locks his car and house, I want to add features of security to my future trailer. After all locking up property (cars, houses, etc.) are really nothing more than a deterrent to someone intent on breaking in or out-and-out theft.

This topic seemed to be the proper place to ask about theft prevention devices, and I didn't see this one discussed. Maybe it has in another thread.

20. Jim and Sue L.

I always found a hungry 500 pound gorilla to be a great deterrent.

Or a troupe of cranky Cub Scouts...

Sue