Locks for trailer hitch

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Evan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Thanks for the link Lyle - looks like that would be a good choice then.
    Ken

2. mick719

mick719 Newbie

great. thanks for posting that.

3. Ron Hutchison

Ron Hutchison Novice

Obviously, from reading posts throughout this thread, not all wheel locks fit all applications due to fender type and wheel/hub cap type. However, I believe the most important aspect in selecting a wheel lock is that it covers the lug nuts. This should prevent a would be thief from simply removing the wheel and putting on another one and pulling off with your trailer.

Once you determine that the wheel lock will fit your application, make sure that when installed it covers the lug nuts.

Hutch

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Jenn,

One like the lock that Lyle posted is the correct one. That style is the only style that works on the trailer. That brand is the one I see used most commonly.

Hutch,

There is no way to cover the lug nuts on the trailer, doesn't work that way on the Camp-Inn. For that level of security my recommendation is always a long length of chain and two padlocks. One padlock to connect the chain to one of the trailer's safety chains and the other to padlock the chain to a big tree. Actually works pretty good. One customer had to leave his chained to a tree up on a mountain after having knocked the tire off the bead on his trailer Jeeping in the mud and forgot his tire iron back home. Had to come back a few days later for it.

But of course this too is not fail proof. Chains can be cut. Wheel locks and coupler locks don't help if the thief has a tilt bed trailer or truck and winch, just drag it on. Or even just a flat bed trailer with ramps and winch. Do we really know the level of preparation on the part of a trailer thief? No, we don't. I own a tilt bed trailer with a winch on it so personally I know it wouldn't take much for me to grab and go with one. You should see the stuff I have dragged onto that thing.

The two best security measures are the fact it is a teardrop and the brochures that are issued with it. First off most people do not know what one is so wouldn't know why they would want to steal it, other than if they are drawn to pretty shiny things. Second is always keep some of the brochures in the tow vehicle. For those of you traveling with yours you already know the advantage of being able to slide one out the car's window to someone without having to get out and open it up. But the other advantage is if it were to ever be stolen you can simply approach the first law enforcement officer you come across and hand him or her a brochure. Tell them "if you see one of these, it's mine". Kind of the lojack of campers. They won't get far if they steal it because it is hard to hide and it stands out a wee bit.

Cary

5. Ron Hutchison

Ron Hutchison Novice

Cary,

Thanks for clearing up some of my concerns about wheel locks and the ability to cover the lug nuts. Obviously, the wheel lock I saw on the internet doesn't work for all trailers. The flat bed trailer and winch defeats any and all wheel locks anyway.

Points well taken.

Thanks,

Hutch

6. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

While you're watching out for flat beds, keep an eye out for blimps too:

[​IMG]
    It looks like this one made off with a Camp-Inn...

7. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Better watch out! Those things are getting stolen & turning up in the most unlikely places...

[​IMG]

Hmm...I see it now "101 Uses for a Camp-Inn" or how about "Camp-Inn...it's the only way to travel!"

:cool:

8. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Here's what I currently use and have available depending upon the situation.

Locks:
    Trimax UMAX100 Universal 'Die-Cast' Dual Purpose Coupler Lock

[​IMG]

with a lock pin bar that goes through the latch lever

Also, I have, but don't use much but will when I move it to outside storage (due to new buggy).. and fits just fine.
    Trimax TWL100 Ultra-Max Adjustable Wheel Lock

[​IMG]

and finally, when I did have to store outside in my, then, apartment lot parking with CampInn cover, I used what I call "Land Anchors", from the idea of a sea anchor.

Five huge, apx 40lbs each?, cinder blocks, the ones with the 2 holes in it, usually for walls.

[​IMG]

With 4 heavy chains and locks. I then would put 2 blocks next to front latch, one on each side under the trailer and one in the back center under trailer.

I'd chain up the front around the frame, through the holes in the blocks and back to 'Grandmas House". hehh and lock with good round storage padlocks.

The two side blocks, I chain the axle with the heavy chains and then coated cable locks wrapped around the door latches so it can slide off and back underneath to the frame.

Back, again chained to the axle or frame, fergit, and a coated cable lock wrapped around the back hatch.

It worked. Took about 5 min to lock it all up, kept the blocks under the trailer so I didn't have to move them and could back right in over them.

I'll be using the same type of senario when i move it to the Storage place just to be sure.

Hope that helps.

Knowing fully well, if they want it bad enough they'll get it, but not without a fight.. heheh, Krap, just moving those heavy blocks is a PITA, but once moved and set, done... I just relocked the chains around the blocks when gone...

HTH...

9. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

My first thought was to take a sledge hammer & smash the blocks... :eek:

10. fpoole

Yep, but the noise and four blocks later and dangling chains I would hope would attract some attention..
    I didn't say it couldn't be done, just making it harder and time consuming...

11. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Oh, I know that...the image of it in my mind just struck my slightly twisted perspective as a bit humorous. ;)

12. Mark_inMA

Mark_inMA Novice

Re: Locks for trailer hitch - Trimax wheel locks

Just a quick note during hibernation / gear-buying season.

If you are thinking of getting two TRIMAX™ TCL65 as some suggest (especially for outdoor storage with a cover)
    consider looking for TCL265. That is a "keyed alike" pair of 65s . You get the same # of keys as two TCL65s but all same.
    Advantages:
    > You only need one of this thick key on your ring.
    > Don't have to figure out which key is which lock each time. :D
    > You now have plenty of spare keys!
    > Also it comes with a single soft bag with partition to hold both vs two.

And the bottom line, it usually costs less than two TCL65. :)

Only disadvantage is I haven't seen them in brick and mortar stores. Advantages plus <$ are worth ordering online.

13. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

I like Frank's idea (they're always hysterically creative). Now, I prefer to use two cranky Siberian Brown Bears on a ten foot lead, but the Department of Fish and Games is notorious for having even less of a sense of humor than the FBI, so a combo of hitch and wheel locks has to suffice.

Pity.

Camp On.

Sue

14. fpoole

Heheh, My motto is simply:
    I can only do -
    What I can,
    When I can,
    With what I have.....

and so far so good, well, could always be better, but no guilt...

I also have the 4 wheel nuts (2 for each) but figured if they got past the above... Locked wheel nuts aren't going to stop'em...
    Plus the real reason?? PITA and you can bet I'd have a flat and leave the keys at home... a bigger PITA....

and default back to Insurance...
    heheh, it's always something... I guess you could just lock it up in a safe, never use it and lock up your memories/life experiences too, cause they ain't going anywhere either...

fun...

It's what it's all about...

cheers...

15. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Where's the fun in that? Always someone (usually the government - case in point) ruining a good thing... ;)

16. Jim and Sue L.

Darleks would work, too....

Sue

17. David Olson

David Olson Novice

I just took a ball hitch and cut the threaded end off and lock it in the coupler.

18. Jim and Sue L.

...and a sonic screwdriver would work just dandy, too.

Sue

19. fpoole

Sigh...
    Here's a video of a demo on how effective hitch locks are...
    Max time was like 90 sec to remove it...
    Video link here
    As Bear mentioned, it's just keeping Honest People Honest... if they want it, they'll get it..

I'm not pushing that square box lock thinging but interesting in that it's a "Looser Fit" and that makes it harder...

Of course my Nellie trailer has the bolt on hitch.. I think it took him 30sec max to take it off... Having seen all this AFTER I purchased all new locks for it... I'll probably use that wheel cover lock. It's a PITA to work with as it's clumsy and bulky, but looks a little more secure in that they can't take the tire off... heheh, so they just pick it up and put on a wheel dolly..
    and another one
    Gawd, I'm staying home... heheh, Until the next trip planned that is...

20. Jim and Sue L.

Fun video. However, we noticed he rarely engaged the hitch coupler and never locked it. That makes a big difference. It may just add a minute or two, but time is the enemy to thieves. Any way you look at it, the more obstacles you place, the more likely they'll move on.

Of course, all this is moot when the thieves man handle the whole kit and kaboodle on to a flat bed and blithely drive into the sunset. So do what you think is necessary and hope for the best.

And if it does get snatched, your insurance can help you get a fancier model!

I want mahogany and inlay.

Camp On,

Sue and Jim says