Locks for trailer hitch

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Evan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Nothing is completely secure. A determined thief will find a way. However, with each lock, there is an added deterrent. Why pick one with locks when there are easier targets. I also encourage getting to know your camp neighbors because it is always fun to meet new people and as Jenn mentions, people tend to look out for one another.

So, here is one I am looking at...

http://youtu.be/iSW2jJEHQIY

It's called the California Immobilizer. It is solid steel construction and looks pretty good. I suppose you could try to drill out the lock but drilling through steel will take time and make noise. This combined with a wheel lock and GPS tracking system should go a long way to slow down and/or stop someone.

However, I have full coverage replacement insurance as well.

In the end, you can only discourage them or slow them down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

I totally agree that you can only discourage theft or slow them down. I think the Camp Inns are the Air Streams of the tear-drop world and hence, a target.

Interesting that jsi mentioned a troupe of cranky cub scouts. Several years ago I went to purchase a car and took my wife and 3 kids. The kids were in their "wound up" mode and running around. The dealer knew I was interested in a particular vehicle, but appeared nervous/anxious about the kids. Anyway the price dickering went very much to my favor and the car was purchased in record time.

Kids can be a hand full, but they do have the benefits.

3. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

That looks like the same lock mechanism as this:
    Unlock

4. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I've seen a similar video on those bike locks.

It may be a barrel lock, but not all barrel locks are the same.

5. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

y

Researching earlier threads on security. Those of you that use the Claw, is it the 12" ?

6. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have a hitch lock and a tire claw like lock for when we leave the trailer parked somewhere. But I suspect those probably only keep the honest people honest as they say. If someone really wanted to take something, they would find a way. So we also have insurance on the TD.