Itinerary 2014 Nw Camp-inn Round Up

Discussion in 'Gatherings' started by JoeB-NW, Nov 11, 2013.

1. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

I would like a set of the leg extensions. Will be at Mossy Rock on the 23rd. Thanks Dave

2. slumry

slumry Novice

It is coming, the most important camping event of the year, the fourth annual Northwest Roundup!

The fine print:

Dates: Memorial Day weekend, Friday May 23 through Monday May 26th. Official check-in is 2:00 PM; however, if you arrive early on Friday you are likely to be able to get access to the campground, but I do not guarantee it. If you wish to camp in the park before Friday or after Monday, you will need to arrange for an individual site elsewhere in the park.

Map: Directions from I5-- NWRU#4

Venue: Mossyrock Park, primitive group campsite. When you get to the entrance booth, identify yourself as being part of the group that has reserved the primitive campsite. They will give you a vehicle tag. This is the important part; once you get the tag, immediately take a hard left just past the entrance booth. Take our own private causeway to the campsite and pick a spot anywhere you wish. They do not seem to care about us driving on the grass. There is water, pit toilets and trash pickup. However there is no power. Showers and flush toilets maybe found elsewhere in the park.

Registration: None required, just show up with a positive attitude.

Cost: figure the cost per unit will be the total cost divided by the total number of parties attending. Last year it was around $50 a party for the weekend. The more participants the cheaper it will be. The site is booked based on 10 parties and can hold 20, if not more.

Who should attend: Anyone interested in tiny trailers, including Camp-Inn-owners, wannabee Camp-Inn owners, and owners of other tiny trailers; tenters are also welcome.

Food and Events: As in past years, there will be no organized meals or events. However, there will be “green box” gatherings in the evening, a tradition borrowed from boating. Green boxes are essentially where the group meets around the firepit for hors d’oeuvres, drinks, and fellowship. These events frequently get out of hand and become dinner even though they are not officially a potluck.

What to do? Fishing, Biking, boating, hiking and field trips to Mount Saint Helens, Mount Rainer and Mount Adams. Rumor has it that Uncle Frank will be doing guided tours to the famous Ape Caves. If you prefer, hang out at the beautiful campsite, enjoy the good company and the inevitable trailer tours; read, nap, play board games—there is something for everyone!

What to bring? Wood and food to share (wood is usually found for sale along the road near the park). The event will be held rain or shine so bring something warm and something to protect you from the rain. Dogs are OK as long as they are on a leash. If you have any questions please private message me or respond to this thread.

We hope to see you all at Mossyrock this year.

Stephen

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

See ya there...

I'll probably come down a little early, Wed/Thurs.

If there is a desire to see the Ape caves would be more than happy to go... once there, pretty hard to get lost...

Just enter the hole in the ground and 'head for the light, whoops, scratch that.. head for the dark.

[​IMG]

It is, obviously, underground which means two things.

1- No light so bring 2 flashlights min
    2- It's c-c-chilly down there so dress warmly regardless of how it is on the outside. Being too warm is better than not. Small day pack is great.

Here are my photos from last time(about half way down the gallery) , you really should do it just to check it off the list. I mean seriously, how many times do you get to stroll through lava tubes where molten rock used to cruise along...

Please let me know if you're interested or I'll plan something else for me to do, even if it's just doing Big Bubbles..heheh
    or??? heheh,
    Cheese tasting...
    [​IMG]

and don't forget the old Steam engine train ride ...

[​IMG]

you can pay a little more apx $75 and ride up with the engineer... and that's kewl..

[​IMG]

It's all fun and games....
    Until you have to leave and it's over...

Fun....

4. Tom Ruggles

Tom Ruggles Novice

Frank - I would like to do the Ape Caves if you get enough folks to partake. Looking forward to seeing you again, plus everyone else, that is.

Tom

5. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I think they actually like us driving on the grass to stomp down all of the mole hills!

I have a new puzzle for this year. It isn't as hard as the one last year was, but it will be our contribution for that part of the entertainment. We also have some fun new games. The lad will likely bring his violin again, to practice/torture/serenade folks. If others play instruments, bring 'em along! I am pretty terrible on my uke, so I will spare you all.

I know Laddy and I would be up for some Ape Cave action. Bet Mick will too. Just need to judge his jet lag. Big surprise, he will be flying home from across the world just for this (no joke, he is flying home early for the event...do you think he will win furthest traveled, or does it only count how far the trailer goes? I kid!).

Looking forward to seeing folks and getting out! This is the best way to start the season!

6. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Your posts are making me jealous! Wish we could join you all and meet in person! Hope you all have a fantastic weekend and be sure to post a lot!

7. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

If you start now, you could make it.

8. Mick'nSarah

Joan, we have a little something special for you too. A little "payback" for Mick getting into your whiskey last year! :)

9. fpoole

Gawd, I remember that, well, not with Mick, but the Whiskey.. Yikes.. that stuff is deadly...
    I'm feeling daring, I might even try 2 shots... then, just roll me down the hill to my location... hmmm... or kick me up, since I usually end up blocking the road..

and the Pepsi fountain will be there in all it's glory... not sure what else...

10. jfocallag

Uh oh

11. Mick'nSarah

When I say payback, I just mean we are giving you something special in payment for the Whiskey Mick got into. Not that we are trying to get back at you. You can do what you like with it! It is home made (coming out of our secret stash), especially good over ice cream, but excellent sipped. You will find out more on the weekend. :)

12. jfocallag

Sarah,

I was just teasing. I appreciate the thought and look forward to my surprise.

13. Mick'nSarah

I just didn't want you to be scared of us! :)

14. Mick'nSarah

Just checked (in)Accuweather, and they are reporting pretty good weather for next weekend! Woohoo! Fingers crossed it holds!

15. Tionico

Tionico Newbie

Looking forward to joining you all out at the Mossy Rock.... Evan and Lena (long time good friends) have told me I should not miss it. I'll be there for the full weekend.... no teardrop in which to camp, but I believe my Crackerbox will suffice. Lena has asked that I demonstrate how to roast coffee on Snugglebug's built in stove..... which should be fun and rewarding. Anyone interested in learning how (its easy, jst a few things to watch out for). Then we'll brew up some of our handiwork... minimalist style. Likely the best "camp coffee" ever served at Mossyrock...... thinking of bringing my little ten foot rowing/sailing boat, too. I guess directions will be posted here pretty soon, now..... I sort of know the area, but not this place specifically.

Looking forward to meeting you all.... oh, one more question: are any of this group the sort who play traditional accoustic music? I always have my mandolin in the car.... and would welcome the opportunity to play some.

Nick

16. fpoole

Ape Caves - need head count and date to go? Saturday? guessing that's probably the best....

[​IMG]

Ok, so I'm going to start prepping the "Ape Cave Adventure".... but would like to know How many or who is coming.

PM me so we don't clutter up the thread and I'll post your name as coming by editing this post.

If you don't see your name, I didn't get the PM... thanks.

Confirmed going:
    1. Frank Poole
    2. Evan, Katie, Charlie & Lynne.
    3. Michael & Susan
    4. Stephen & Shirley
    5. Sarah, Finn (and possible Mick)
    6. Dave & Dixie
    7. Nick
    8. Tom (Gayle can't make the weekend)
    9. Peggy & Norm
    10. (and you're next, you KNOW you just HAVE to search for "Sassy" aka Sasquatch... you just never know eh?)

Total so far: 18 and counting...

To Bring:

2 Flashlights minimum, one more as back up.
    1 Warm Jacket or something as it's about 50F or so inside.
    1 Hiking boots, while fairly smooth, is it hard rock.
    1 Water or more, I'm guessing we won't go to the end, apx

Ape Cave Webpage
    Google photos here

Fun, Looking forward to it.
    This can replace the "Science Experiments" other than the original "Mentos & Pepsi" volcano eruptions and balloonies...

Ok, OK... full disclosure here: WARNING (jk)
    Watch out for the Wild Apes !
    Mount St. Helens has long been famous as an
    area of frequent Bigfoot, Sasquatch or “Hairy Ape” sightings.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  17. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

All,

Unfortunately - Linda and I will be out of state on a non-camping trip... really sorry to miss this.

I can confirm Frank's side trip will be a good one... the Ape Caves are amazing - enjoy.

Also -work has been crazy - so I didn't see Joe's posting about the table extension... and will contact Cary directly as I missed Joe's pickup date.

Looking forward to seeing you somewhere else on the road or at the 5th Annual NWCIRU

18. Peggy Baker

Peggy Baker Newbie

Hi Frank,
    Please count Norm and I in for the "Ape Cave Adventure"
    We plan to arrive on Thursday afternoon, hope we can stay at the weekend location. looking forward to a fun time.

Peggy Baker

19. Tom Ruggles

Tom Ruggles Novice

Hey, Peggy -- is Norm bringing his Hobie Mirage?

Tom

20. slumry

slumry Novice

Final comments about the 4th Annual NWRU--

> The current weather report seems to indicate that there will be some rain on Sunday night; also a small chance throughout the weekend. Temperatures will be from the mid 40’s to high 60’s. There was no word on bugs or the lack of bugs. I assume there will be kids and possibly traffic; sorry Frank.

> Friday is usually low key, with more serious festivities on Saturday and Sunday.

> A reminder that the Packwood flea market takes place this weekend; this is not your normal flea market.

> For those who might not have figured this out, there is a little store in the park that sells really great ice cream, for cheap. I am just saying.

> If anyone has issues with the camping arrangements, please call me at 425.301.4719. Everything is already paid for and the park rangers are likely to have issues only if our group is larger than 20 vehicles. If you are just going to show up for the day, let them know that at the booth and they may advise you to get a day pass.

> The Ape Caves are a long drive to the south of St. Helens, if you are interested in visiting Windy Ridge; it would make sense to do this when doing the Ape Cave. I am not sure if you need a Forest or Discovery pass for either venue.