Single cup coffee makers

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Tom Ruggles, Aug 10, 2011.

1. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Cound't agree more. After the third one that was pleanty. The convenience of the single cup was nice. But the bother of taking it back time after time not so much.

Dave

2. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Yep! We had a Keurig that gave up the ghost WAY too early. That's why we switched to the AeroPress. I had no idea what I was missing...

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I love my Bialetti when I am on the road and my Nespresso when I am home. No problems with it, and while it might be expensive compared to the Kuerig, if you are buying 3-4 of them, you have more than paid for a Nespresso. :)

Never have tried an aero press, and you all have me curious!

4. 1Door

1Door Novice

Well...this is our first Kuerig...we bought it for our wonderful, all electric Camp Inn 500 Special!! I work in a hair salon and the one we had there made approximately 20 single servings daily...6 days a week for 2 years (that's 120 cups a week) AND just now "gave up the ghost". We have used Bodum French presses (Brazil and Chambord) while camping but the hassle of spending 2 1/2 minutes on boiling the water (we are lazy) and then waiting 4 more minutes to brew was just too long of a wait when you can make a whole pot in that amount of time with a Cuisinart or Mr. Coffee etc. Alan likes 4 cups in the am and I like 3...so the little Aeropress' and French press' are too much work ...PLUS you gotta grind the beans and not wake your neighbors (unless you are polite enough to think ahead and do it the afternoon before) AND THEN...you gotta rinse out all the grinds. But, believe me...I WILL BE SURE TO LET EVERYONE KNOW WHEN OURS QUITS!! On that morning or afternoon I will pull out a coffee filter...open up a K Cup and pour hot water over it into the cup...then buy another one before the next camping trip!

5. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

I have the same Black and Decker Brew n' Go since 1984. It's a great little coffee maker and obviously made to last.

6. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  7. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

My opinion (and it's just an opinion, feel free to reject it out of hand)... I didn't start out a coffee-a-holic, but now I like a good cup.

IMO, it doesn't matter too much what you use to actually brew when brewing with hot water (there's a cold brew philosophy too; but let's skip that for this opinion). The keys to a good hot brewed cup are 1) beans, the kind you like, freshly ground. 2) water just off the boil--but NOT boiling. 3) 4 minutes max... and remove those grounds.

8. Sherry, I think you are correct! I tried my first cup this morning and oh my! not what I expected. I think I have to adjust the brew time. I'm hoping this works but if not will chalk it up to experience and use it for tea only.

the coffee was very weak and watery. Just not the same as it is in my French press.

9. Pick

Pick Novice

J&T, I am a fan of french press coffee too. Fresh ground bean make a big difference. I found a really good stainless steel double walled coffee mug/french press on Liquid Planet. Double screen works well also comes with regular top if you just getting a cup to go. No filters to deal with as in the Areo Press
    MDP

10. Yup, that is the one I mainly use. Just thought I could have something smaller and easier to carry to use but it does not have the same taste as the liquid planet press. Think I'll stick with that, I know it works and I like the coffee it makes.
    Maybe just get a new one. Mine the color is flaking off and the screws on the handle keep coming loose.

11. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

I'm a coffee addict, and so have tried almost every possible alternative for making camp coffee. For me nothing beats the convenience and taste of a pour-over system. I can make one cup, or a whole thermos full just by adjusting the amount of coffee and water. For ease of use, minimum weight, and compactness, I have not been able to find anything better than the GSI outdoors collapsible coffee funnel, which uses No. 4 coffee filters.http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-...393253572&sr=8-1&keywords=GSI+outdoors+coffee

Of course, you have to grind your beans fresh. But that's a different gadget search.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
    dirty6 likes this.
  12. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

I'll throw my 2ยข in on the Keurig for camping. We have a single cup machine that we store on the bed during transport. I like the convenience...

BUT it won't brew when it's cold outside, like in the high 30's. In those cases, I warmed up the water on the stove a bit and used that. Crazy, I know. And not very convenient.

13. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

I would not buy a Keurig for any use. Tried three of them and had to take them all back. They easily clog up and won't work properly. Yes they have good customer support but give me a break should I not expect it work reliable for at least a few month before needing service or replacement.

Do not buy this for camping. It will take up a lot of room and you will still need ac to run it, then when you get home you can send it back for repair or replacement. I have never had a more unreliable product.

Dave

dirty6 likes this.
  14. birder526

birder526 Novice

Just went on Liquid Planet's site...has anyone used their stove top percolator? We need our coffee too and had been thinking of a percolator. But the french press individual mugs are looking good too. Decisions...decisions...

Diane

15. Lee49

Lee49 Novice

I use COOL BREW
    easy to make and taste great

16. djkline

djkline Novice

I tried a Keurig for a while, my opinion is it's a glorified instant coffee machine. Tastes the same as those maxwell house instant coffees at a much higher price. Freshly ground beans in your preferred brewed method is the way to go.

17. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

My weapons of choice for camping include a Porlex Mini ceramic burr grinder, #2 Melitta brown cone filters, and beans from Peet's. It doesn't stand up to the Rancilio Rocky and Miss Sylvia on the counter in the kitchen at home, but it is much more portable. If space is really at a premium, a folding cone is good, but I use the current Melitta cone because it has windows in the bottom so you can see how much is in the cup and avoid overflows. For beans, I really like Aged Sumatra from Peet's, but the roast is too dark for my wife; I recently did a test with Major Dickenson's blend and that is a good compromise for us.

18. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Hot water and Instant coffee laced with your spirit of choice I guess being British I don't have the North American coffee addiction yet

19. Pick

Pick Novice

What time do you do tea?? :)
    MDP

20. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Afternoon or High Tea? there is a difference.