Single cup coffee makers

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Tom Ruggles, Aug 10, 2011.

1. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

...alas I can only stand back, and listen to all the intricacies of the roasting & brewing processes used by you coffee connoisseurs. I had to give up brewed coffee about 25yrs ago after being diagnosed with GERD, which responded well to stopping all coffee for about 6 months. It didn't respond well to subsequent attempts to reintroduce it. For some odd reason however, when I tried instant coffee, I was able to tolerate a couple cups of that a day without exacerbation of the GERD. Never tried checking the pH of them both, but my guess is that fresh brewed has a significantly lower one.
    So I am relegated to using instant for my daily caffeine fix, and can only listen in envy of your perfectly made cups of the heavenly brew. Still enjoy hearing about it however. ;)

SethB, Jenn and Kevin like this.
  2. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Maybe look into taking Protonix. It did wonders in helping me with acid reflex, and GERD. I’m not a doctor, and it’s been many years since I slept at a Holiday Inn Express!

dustinp, Kevin and Jenn like this.
  3. SethB

SethB Ranger

It may be that the low acidity of cold brew aka cold drip would work for you.

With an aeropress you have a lot of control over extraction temp (acidity) and brew time (acidity). With a light to light-medium roast I can get strong and tasty coffee with lots of flavor but lower acidity… your mileage may vary!

dustinp and Jenn like this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

I used to drink Starbux Pike just black, for the kick, with caution for wayyy over burnt taste that gets old after a couple vente's.

Then I learned a correctly measured light blend fresh ground and at right temp in the french press delivers that morning wakeup needed to jumpstart my brain, heart and lower colon, with less burnt butt hurt.

DOES LIGHT ROAST CONTAIN MORE CAFFEINE THAN A DARK ROAST? – Blackout Coffee Co

PS: these guys above got stuff to my son in the 10th Mtn overseas when no one else could,...so I'm kinda fanboi on them.

dustinp and Jenn like this.
  5. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

My sweet spot when roasting is just a few snaps into second crack.

Starbucks has THE worst drip coffee. I call it “Charbucks”. Coffee Bean actually has very good, single origin light roasted drip coffee.

Kevin, Jenn and SethB like this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

That would be BAD in my house. Coffee is the overlooked "love language" in the 5 languages theory. I'm a snob about it, my bride is even worse. Ever since we bough her a "super automatic" maker (Miele) several years ago, I'm starting to consider buying an IV pole for her birthday....

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  7. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Miele! Nice!