Single cup coffee makers

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Tom Ruggles, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

It isn't a single serve coffee, but I am wondering if anyone has used a Bialetti? I wasn't sure how it works with the cooktops we have and how sensitive it is to temperatures (I sometimes have a hard time adjusting the fire to the perfect bit of heat...need more practice!). Here is the one I was thinking of getting:

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Exp...C9JW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1330148304&sr=8-4

Just thought this would be a nice espresso option when I do not have shore-power. Thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Sarah,we've used a similar maker a few times, and it worked fine on the stove, but we both prefer a regular cup of coffee for the most part and no longer bring it along.

3. mesarluiss

mesarluiss Newbie

I have Keurig B60! I would say that it is the best choice for those who wants to have a perfect cup of coffee every morning. Its really easy to use and clean. The coffee is always delicious. We can have full control over the process, by choosing temperature, the brewing time for every drink and the cup size.

4. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

hmm, now that you mention it.....

:)

I don't drink the double shots very often, though they probably aren't any stronger than my daily cappucino. They do have more sugar than I like, however.

5. Monica

Monica Novice

Not quite in answer to the original question, but since I'm a coffee snob I thought I'd put in my 2 cents.
    Similar to Bear, I use a Melita cone but a 6 cup one.
    Mine is made for #6 filters and it seats snugly in my Nissan stainless steel thermos (that's been preheated). Pour in hot water. Quickly makes excellent coffee that stays hot all morning. Easy cleanup. No need for electricity. I used to use a french press but hated the cleanup and found my coffee to be a bit bitter. Link to the $9.95 cone on amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BUDDTY/ref=oh_o04_s00_i02_details
    But - just about any coffee is good coffee when camping!
    Monica

6. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Do the single cup coffee makers sit on any thermos, or specific brands?

7. jimmymack

jimmymack Newbie

Wow, that sure is elegant looking. Where do you get the coffee though? Don't you have to buy it from them?

8. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

So how come everyone is using separate stove instead of two burner cast iron one in the slot???
    Wandering minds wanna know....

I've seen several people that have little side propane stove... is it space? I don't get it...

thanks...
    ps. I use the French Press, insulated.. 2 cups, works fine, just rinse out and ready to go again...

9. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Frank, I LOVE using the propane stove in the galley - it's so much more fun than my electric stove at home. We have added a simple (cheap) electric hot-pot to our gear. It makes our breakfast - quick cook oatmeal and instant coffee much easier, since we don't have to move the cooler out of the way to get to the stove. Kathy

10. fpoole

Jenn:
    Coffee grounds... eat'em.. heheh, dump in drainage or fire pit.

Kathy:
    Yes, I love my stove too... I guess you could call me a "Stove Addict" as at one time, I had about 13+ stoves... ranging from the backpacking whisper lite to and old antique 1930? 24? gas stove... but don't have gas at home so in storage... not sure why I keep it but hard to let go... it's all mechanical, heheh love it too, but can't use it...

So it looks like it's just a matter of moving the Refrig from the slot in the camper or not on whether to use the stove or not...
    Mystery solve, thanks...

11. Snudley

Snudley Novice

I got turned on to this product by Dan and Vanessa when they came to check out my new camper:

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK

The reviews are through the roof for this thing, and it makes for a perfect camping coffee gadget. I can make one or two cups in seconds, and the clean up is a heck of a lot easier than my old french press.

12. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

This is the "new"/"hot" coffeemaker which you can find in the trendy little coffee places. I have one, which I bought after seeing the setup of a camping gourmand. If this is the maker he uses, it must be the best one. (depending on your needs, of course)

It does make a good cup of coffee. And it seems to be sturdy enough. I think the "best" way to use it is to make a coffee "concentrate" with water that is not yet boiling, and then to pour boiling water into your cup, to make a cup that is as strong as you like. Less acid in the coffee if you use cooler water through the grounds, I believe. I usually bring the water to a near-boil and pour it all through the grounds, so I am not using it to its potential, really.

-Al

13. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

Another +1 for the AeroPress.

We use this and grind beans with the manual Hario Mini Grinder. The AeroPress is much easier to clean than our stainless French press. Combined with our Jetboil (love that thing--water for tea in less than 2 minutes!), it's a pretty good setup.

14. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Vanessa and I LOVE our AeroPress and we've been "evangelists" for it since the day we bought it. We use it primarily to make coffee "Americano" style...double espresso with water added. We use it at home and on the road.

I am a bit particular about my coffee. Not necessarily what coffee, but how it's made. I like my coffee between 180-185 degrees. Not hotter, not cooler. I took a stainless steel camping coffee pot and drilled a hole at the bottom for a washerless probe thermometer so I can get the perfect prep temp. With the stove on the CampInn, my water was ready in about 4 minutes for 32 oz of water...enough for 2 16oz travel mugs full of joe.

Candidly, my favorite coffee has become Cafe Bustelo, those yellow 10oz cans (yes, cans) of espresso coffee you've seen all these years in the coffee section but never tried. I have no problem spending money on what I love, but this coffee is cheap at $3.88 a can where I shop. Actually, I can get 24 bricks of Cafe Bustelo on Amazon for $85! That's a deal and the bricks travel well (just bring along an empty can t pour it into!

OK...I'll stop my droning on about my AeroPress. Now back to my coffee...

15. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Oh, yeah...the AeroPress! I told ya, didn't I?

16. StanTurbyfill

StanTurbyfill Newbie

My first cup from my aero press was nothing short of spectacular. Hands down this is the best way to brew a cup of coffee. It is not only in my camping kit but has a permanent place in my kitchen.

Stan

17. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

18. fpoole

D&V,
    Just FYI, I just order a small packet of the "Cafe Bustelo" to give it a whirl... looking for a decent cup of coffee at home and tripp'n...
    and No, heheh, not ready to give up the French Press... just have to get the measurements right, believe that's the real culprit.

thanks for the info on the coffee...

19. fpoole

Would that be a website??
    I tried to seach for something like this and didn't find anything that looked decent... or is just someone you know?

Wandering Minds Wanna Know...
    heheheh, thanks..
    frank

20. Bechtle

Bechtle Novice

Hi Frank....

I use the CI propane stove and am pleased with the unit. The only "problem" is not being able to turn the burner low enough for "simmer" even with using heat defusers. The high temps of the CI stove is helpful at high altitudes and low temps.

I also carry a Camco 58031 "Little Red Campfire" Propane Camp Fire with optional cooking grate. Good for a small camp fire, roasting marshmallows, Hot Dogs, coffee, and just plain socializing. (Can you turn up the propane a notch on the Barbie.)

I also carry a 10" Dutch Oven, two burner Grill/Grille, and a 10" fry pan with glass cover.