Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Palm Sunday --- cold, 32 degrees, but promises to be a sunny day. I'll get to try out my new folding solar panel - see if it puts out the power it is rated for, or at least close, in anticipation of more out-of-mainstream campground camping this summer. Get farther away from those people we all just love to have as neighbors.

Sadly, one of our state parks was a direct hit by a likely tornado or at least very strong winds. Most of the campers were moved to the Inn/hotel but two people for some reason did not evacuate and sadly perished in their camper.

There have been photos, but I haven't seen any good views of what the damage really is. Likely in the big main loop. While tragic for those who suffered losses....maybe the park will get a little facelift and pruning which is needed. Maybe too some of the widow makers in the parks will be addressed. This is the second time in 4 years that I've seen trees toppled in a campground in Indiana.

Remember the discussion about needing a weather radio? Time to reopen that thread...it would be tragic to find these people had no idea what was coming...

EDIT:

I'm very weather alert, even fixated, and I missed this one. Partially because the NWS has started making a big deal out of every slightest threat. The alerts happen for too many things, and this is a real danger get lost in the noise....I'm sorry not every wether event needs to be hyped up and publicized. We live in the midwest --- Tornado Alley --- Don't want me about heavy rain, I can see that by opening my eyes.

I got to remembering family stories. I was born in 1967, but the Palm Sunday 1965 outbreak is/was a regular topic of discussion in my home growing up.

I also grew up with a Federal Signal manufactured civil defense siren in my back yard...literally. The moan it made starting, and the growl as it stopped still gets an adrenaline spike started for me. From 50 years ago -- the sound still haunts me.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
    Kevin likes this.
  2. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I’m sitting in Alamogordo NM. I was planning to go up to a remote campground in Guadalupe National Park tomorrow but a wind storm of 60 mph with gust to a 100 is forecast. Time to hunker down for a few days. The locals say the wind should have ended weeks ago. Strange weather.

Kevin likes this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Yikes. 60 mph gusts are bad enough! Got to admin though, those temperatures look pretty good :)

We're sitting at highs around 60 which isn't bad -- definitely improving. can't wait to get out and start enjoying it. I have my first trip planned the weekend after Easter. A "guys" weekend with a couple of friends. Hopefully the winds allow for a solid test of my solostove pellet adapter... :D

Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Not sure C. Crane is better or worse today than cheap Chinese. Back in the day they absolutely were the gold standard.

The MK1 Eyeball is fine during the day but at night it's a little harder, or for that matter when you're deep ina forested rea. You don't have the distance and perspective necessary until its right on top of you.

At night, on top of that you can't see the sky above you. Its just windy and rainy with possible hail. If you do have perspective, you look for burning off transformers and electric problems as the funnel and winds tear up infrastructure --- Night time is difficult.

A ham radio license is your best news. Its the fastest to be sure. >IF< you are situationally aware, sober, and awake. Situational awareness is most important. If you're at big lake campground and barely know the crossroads are, reports of quarter-sized hail at 600 north, 1 mile south of Gillespie isn't going to mean much to you unless you know the area. That could be 10 miles away or 1...you just don't know the landmarks.

Of course NWS isn't going to improve that either...unless you've got maps and video overlays...

Kevin likes this.
  5. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Got my Ranger Model and pellet adapter packed for Blackwater State Park for Sunday. Bought the heat deflector for it too, but don’t think I’ll need it this trip.

dustinp, JohnC and Kevin like this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

That sounds like a "sweet spot" solution --- throwing head sideways and having a long burn without having to refuel with larger logs...

Kevin likes this.
  7. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Still a couple feet of snow on the ground, and 22 degrees, but someone out there is trying to remind me that Spring is just around the corner.

Attached Files:

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  8. Coaching High School Track again is keeping us from getting in our normal spring camping trips, but I’m actually enjoying being able to do work with kids again like this. Weather is pretty bad this weekend anyway, cold & rainy.

Kevin likes this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Today..it offically became spring. I had to cut the grass. Nice problem :D

Figure I'll have to cut Thursday again, need it or not because it won't make it 'til a week from Monday.

I have 2 friends that are going camping this weekend, with a couple bones of rib roast dry aging, and a bottle of Santori Toki (Japanese take on Irish whiskey --- really good!)

I'm ready....ever, so ready!!!

Kevin and Warren Mary Ellen like this.
  10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I still have two feet on the level and five foot drifts. Next week it’s going to be in the 70’s and I bet it will disappear fast.

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  11. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Yes, it's remarkable what some warmer temps and a little wind will do to that snow in fairly short order, but it may be difficult for it to actually hit 70 until the ground starts appearing from under that snow. Keep us posted.;)
    Happy Easter everyone!

Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

He is risen :)

Kevin, Tour 931 and dougbee like this.
  13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I got away with three neighbors and we are staying in a cabin in Wisconsin Dells. Not a flake of snow here and it hit 72 yesterday. Today it might get to the 80’s.

dustinp, Kevin, Sweeney and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

It's too bad the Ishnala Supper Club on Mirror Lake isn't open, it's a great place for lunch or dinner.

Tour 931 likes this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I love visiting places like the dells. I just don't enjoy how pricy everything has become. Has it always been that way? In the 1970's was it just as "pricy"? Or, have the attractions just become bigger and correspondingly more expensive?

I''m always curious how much, things like this, have always been that way --- but our perception has changed from young carefree kids to curmudgeonly adults.

I really don't mind people getting rich, even rich at my expense...just not all at once!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  16. Ken & Peggy

It's always been a huge tourist trap, that's for sure. And along with that goes the 'pricey' tag, but like you say, as kids we didn't know that. A neighbor here in Chicago grew up there and her family owned/owns several shops and resorts in the Dells. She even worked the Dell Ducks boats as a teen.
    But, it's a beautiful area to camp and hike and just explore, now that we can avoid the developed areas entirely since we're 'kidless'...

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

We almost always avoid population. Its expensive ('Resorts' can easily be $70 a night -- a KOA with a 10 foot separation), noisy, though hopefully those who rushed to buy a camper in 2021 are staying home....and frankly unenjoyable since loud music and endless games for cornhole and its annoying fwap--fwap---fwap---yeaaah!!!!

As a former carnie (I am missing the requisite 3 teeth, though I kept mine mostly invisible) it isn't as "easy money" as it looks. There are lots of days in a year, and you've got roughly 100 of them to make a 365 day salary...and thanks to year round schools, that's even less profitable today.

I need to investigate the camping up there. It appears that around Gatlinburg, state parks have been made illegal. There is a HUGE lack in places other than commercial resorts there...

Kevin likes this.
  18. Ken & Peggy

There are several excellent state parks near the Dells. Mirror Lake, Devil's Lake, and Rocky Arbor come to mind.

Kevin likes this.
  19. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

In the state's defense, there is a huge national park right there around Gatlinburg...

Kevin likes this.
  20. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

OH man, I can't believe I missed it! Its Dyngus day!!!!

I can say this, I am one -- at least 50% anyway, polish. The other half is German. We have awesome family reunions.

For those who didn't grow up in polish ghettos of the midwest as I did, you have no idea what you are missing! Its too late to hop in the car and head to Michiana, or certain suburbs of Chicago. I fondly remember entire neighborhoods with polka music (Songs like "In Heaven there ain't no beer" and "Too fat polka") along with beer flowing in the streets, sausages, and chicken, potatoes and noodles. Always reminding me a bit of the Wedding party in the beginning of "The Godfather" only not as classy :D Hey Pulie, let me have some wine!

Lest I digress!

We'll see how this summer unfolds. I have no big plans, this sounds like it might not be too bad of a choice. Cooler than here (by august, we're looking for a break in temperatures) and it sounds like a combination of nice park combined with tourist trap. I just have got to make it to the house on the rock. We've been trying tog et there for the better part of a decade now.

Kevin, Tour 931 and dustinp like this.