Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

The best time to get a hot shower is during the afternoon airshow too!

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I havn't looked at teardrop friendly/tenting campspots, we tried to grab a spot in the 2013 time frame on a bit of short notice and it was a solid "Do you want to reserve for next year?" event ---it was just full.

I'm expecting this year will be less busy, with skyrocketing fuel prices and the current state of the world -- no longer covid but inflation. It doesn't matter much, I have (yet again) a schedule conflict and can't go :(

It looks like the same for CICO -- I've been saying "next year" to that one for a long time too. Just life is not cooperating....

3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I plan on doing some traveling this year. Not a lot just a few overnighters and I can stay anywhere like parking lots, rest areas and truck stops.

Notice I said traveling and not camping.

4. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Yeah, if that was when you had a class A, and were looking for a spot with hookups, or in the 24 hr/day generator area, you probably were SOL on a short notice type inquiry, since those sites are a small segment of the campground, and they are by reservation only for the most part.

By far and away the vast majority of campsites available are OK for tents, campers, or motor-homes of any size, all mixed together, but do not have hookups of any kind, and restrict generator use to daytime only.
    These"sites" are normally just open fields the rest of the year where there aren't really defined sites. There are defined aisles, so you drive up / down them, and wherever there is a spot wide enough for your camping unit is where you park it, and someone else will most likely be within just a few feet at some point. There are gangs of portable toilets that are placed usually within a relatively short walk of most sites, and are serviced daily. In addition, the EAA campground has shower houses that may be a bit more of a walk depending on your site. For the most part it's a stretch to call staying there "camping" in the sense that any of us would traditionally consider it. It would more accurately be called "attending an event continuously for more than a day while utilizing your camping equipment";)

M&L likes this.
  5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

62F was the low last night and 88 will be the high today. It seems Wisconsin has winter and summer but no spring.

I pushed a berm up behind my targets with my new tractor but after last nights .75” of rain I’ll have to wait a day for it to dry out to continue.
    DDDFDD90-F78F-448C-ACBF-55F24D4CC72E by Tour 931 posted May 12, 2022 at 4:41 AM

Sweeney and M&L like this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Camping no --- passing out --- yes. Both from exhaustion and probably from what I imagine are rather interesting after event parties. We used to have a concession business, and once the shows are over the real shows begin :D

I see myself as a glorified tent camper --- just my tent is aluminum. The lack of AC in july would be what kills me --- Although screens and doors open might make it OK. I havn't tried sleep sans-doors, I suspect I would be awake all night just becuase of lack of perceived security. EAA is probably one of the safest places, but I've woken up with a sharpie message on my forehead before :)

Maybe next year -- this year my schedule just is not going to cooperate. :(

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Same here in Indiana --- we're kissing the 90's this week. I had to "blip" the furnace last week to knock the chill out of the air.

Nice image -- how many yards?

8. dustinp

...well that was the case this year, but fortunately that's not the case very year. If you stay long enough you should experience a little shorter winter, and a nice long spring too. Just hang in there :)

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  9. M&L

M&L Ranger

We have a rule in our house that if you fall asleep with your SHOES ON (whether at home, camping, etc.), it is fair game for someone to either paint or Sharpie your fingernails. We've never written on anyone's forehead, though!

In the Navy, we had some random dude show up drunk and passed out in our barracks building lounge...no idea who he was, he wasn't from our building. So, we did the only responsible adult thing we could think of and shaved one of his eyebrows. Shipmates helping shipmates! I always wonder how that conversation with his Chief went at muster the following morning!

10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Not sure of the yards but lots of trips from the bottom of the property to the top. If I had to guess I would say 8 yards with another 8 to go.

11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Seems fair to me. You pass out and aren't in your designated rack... you're on your own :)

Kevin and M&L like this.
  12. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Rule One of liberty: Never Ever Leave Your Wingman...

M&L likes this.
  13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

52F heading to 75 and dry. Wisconsin is having a fire alert.

14. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'd take dry -- we've had quite a bit of rain. And, as per usual, my pland to travel next week will be taking me into the rain-zone again. I have to transport a table saw, generator and shelving this week a couple hundred miles - I was hoping to at least keep the saw dry....have to put down a boeshield layer before I move it...
    '

dustinp and Tour 931 like this.
  15. dustinp

I'd take it dry for a bit too. We've had a little over 7 inches of rain this month already, and the lake we live on is 5ft out of it's banks. No one fishing on opening fishing weekend on our lake this year, since it's a no wake zone, and the public access is under water, as is the road around the lake in a couple of places. Fortunately our place is still about 6ft above the water, so staying high & dry.

Tour 931 likes this.
  16. SLO Camper

SLO Camper Junior Ranger

Dang, that's crazy. We would certainly take some of that off of your hands out here in parched California.

dustinp likes this.
  17. Pretty dry here lately in my corner of SC. Although, it is raining at the moment but in 20 minutes it will be done. Looks we're headed for the 90s this week.

Tour 931 likes this.
  18. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I love the sound of thunderstorms as long as I am reasonably certain the winds won't become cyclonic or "extreme" and that there aren't window makers above.

The rain hitting the roof is almost ASMR.

Here we've gotten a new air-mass around us --- temperatures dropped to more seasonable, got my grass cut yesterday, Not so much the grass needed it --- just to mulch in the maple "helicopters" that were looking like a snowfall...

This year has been strange --- more seeds coming off my maples that I have ever had in the past.

19. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Sounds like it’s dry in a lot of places.

I leave for Seattle later today. This should be my last trip west. I love it here in Wisconsin and especially Timms Hill.

I bought a Kowa TSN-99A spotting scope and zoomed in on the tower on Timms Hill and took this picture with my handheld cellphone. The tower is about 3,200 feet away so that gives you some idea of the 70 power zoom. Looking through the scope viewfinder the image is much clearer. The picture was taken at dusk.
    9BB68107-13D4-4E35-A9F1-022D96071CD1 by Tour 931 posted May 16, 2022 at 6:00 AM

I also stayed up to see the blood moon last night. It was amazing. I’ll be ordering a camera adapter so I can take better pictures. The ones I took of the moon weren’t worth posting.

dustinp likes this.
  20. I'm in the brief lull in grass cutting season, but it won't last long. Plant rye grass in the winter to keep the dogs from tracking mud into the house. Stuff goes crazy in March & April. I can sometimes cut it every other day. Once it consistently over 80, it dies off. The Bermuda grass has not quite taken off yet, but once it does I'll be busy all summer especially if it is rainy. And then there are the hedges which seem to grow as I trim them. Looking forward to our 3 week trip, but not what I face when I get back there.

Tour 931 likes this.