Speakers Indoor/outdoor Speaker System

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Evan, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Yeah, camp inn did a good job installing my speakers too. Pretty clever install in the galley and didnt loose any space. then I completed the job by installing the head unit in the cabinet, ripping out the TV/DVD speakers and connecting theTV/DVD to the new stereo. No wires showing, great sound inside and out, and built in weather radio. Also, I asked camp inn to install an IR repeater I sent them in the galley. In the silverware drawer is the remote, you can operate volume, skip songs etc without going into cabin. Usually set up a playlist, hook up to iPod dock and its good. Or you can hear the tv from inside which is nice if you don't want to miss a show to grab a drink or snack. Evan put my pics up in this thread somewhere.

2. Jim49

Jim49 Novice

Rick
    To answer your questions, we had extra 12 volt and 120 volt outlets installed in the lower right storage bin, which has a door which hides everything. The only wire pluging we have to do is the headphone output from the source in question to the Sony Bluetooth transmitter.

3. I keep going back and forth between the permanent install (ala Evan and Matt) and the portable systems (ala JimH and others.) You both have done a great job of figuring out a solution that works for you. Matt - if I go with a permanent installation, I might PM you for some specifics regarding brands, parts, etc. (I've already gleaned some from your previous comments.)

4. Jim49

Jim49 Novice

Rick

One of the reasons we went with the configuration we did was so we could use the XM radio or the IPod in our tow vehicle when on a long haul trip. With the little Sony Bluetooth transmitter older legacy devices are still supported, in particular the XM radio. Anything you buy today will most likely already have Bluetooth built in. The Bose unit supports up to 8 devices in its bonded device table but will only work with one at a time. Good luck with what ever you go with, bottom line have fun camping.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Rick, i would be glad to give you specs and maybe some more pics. I also have satallite radio, but due to tree cover, I never use. Mostly use TV sound, iPod, or FM and weather band.

6. JimH - I would also want those same flexibilities of switching the XM module and iPhone from tow vehicle to Tear. If I'm not mistaken, the head unit that Matt is using does allow that capability with both an iPod input cord AND the ability to plug in a satellite radio module that can also go elsewhere.

No matter what I do, I really want to minimize clutter.

Matt: I appreciate your willingness to share more details about your system. I'll PM you if I go that route.

Jim: You wisely sum it up with your saying "...bottom line, have fun camping." !!

7. jimmymack

jimmymack Newbie

I figure I'll just use an Ipod with a Jawbone Jambox. Doesn't all that equipment use up a lot of battery power Evan? It sure does look nice though.

8. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

With 5 batteries and a solar panel I don't really have to worry about power anymore. I agree though, there are much simpler ways to do it now than there were three years ago...

9. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

That's already been 3 years.....?!

10. Dahava

Dahava Novice

We bought the Bose SoundLink Mini for $199 on Amazon and we are literally "blown away" by the huge sound coming from this tiny little Bluetooth speaker! It's aluminum to compliment the CampInn, very small, connects via Bluetooth to our iPhones, iPads and laptops, has a Lithium rechargeable battery that lasts for hours...and we can also connect our pico projector to it via 1/8" jack for outdoor movie night. No other Bluetooth speaker we found has even compared when it comes to fullness of sound...and especially bass.

So, it's another option to consider!

11. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We've had our old turntable hooked up to an iHome tabletop iPod/radio 'system' for about a year or so, and have not been happy with the quality of sound it produces. I was poking around the Bose website looking at the Soundlink Mini you mentioned, when a chat box popped up. When I told them I had their Sounddock she gave me an 800 number to call.
    Well, the guy I reached was intrigued by my wanting to incorporate a turntable, and suggested the SoundLink Bluetooth Mobile speaker II . He offered a swap: send Bose my old Sounddock and they'd send me the SoundLink, with leather cover, for $179 (normally $349).
    It arrived today, and it sounds fantastic! Quality blows away the iHome, and it can be cranked! If there's a downside, it is having to use a cable to connect the iPod (no Bluetooth), but that's a small price to pay for the improved quality and portability of the SoundLink. And we'll probably be using my Samsung Galaxy S3 anyways, which has my iTunes library loaded and includes Bluetooth.
    Thanks for the link guys!
    Ken

12. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Wow! That was a great deal! Yeah, those folks at Bose know what they're doing when they build those Soundlink speakers, don't they? Those things ROCK!!!

13. drjenk

drjenk Newbie

Hi Matt,
    Could you please post details of what infrared repeater you used? I think we're planning on ordering a 560 later this year and trying to get my head around all the wired and wireless remote/speaker options.

thanks
    David J