Speakers Indoor/outdoor Speaker System

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Evan, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Yes! That's the one. The front aux is mini jack type, perfect for your laptop. The iPod connector is on back, but just leave cable attached.

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Matt - can you post some pictures of your setup. I'd really like to see it. Since Camp-Inn won't replicate mine (I guess I got lucky) it would be nice for people to be able to see what option is available.

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Sure, I will 'study up' on posting here. Them get those pics uP.

4. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Evan,
    Is the remote control holder you purchased at Camping World wide enough to hold an Iphone? It appears from the pictures that it's about the same size as your Ipod. I'd like to get one to hold my new Iphone on the wall. Last time out I lost my Iphone and had to purchase a new one. We tore MiniMc up looking for it to no avail.

5. Evan

Yes, it would hold an iPhone.

6. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I’m thinking the speakers can sit in the kitchen, on the shelf. I realize the space is very tight. I may install/mount them on the “wall” of the kitchen (protruding into the cabin cabinets above the feet), but that is not my preference. Not sure which is the smartest. My wife believes the kitchen space is more important than the space in the cabin cabinets, and she is probably right. But I don’t really want to see the back of a speaker and wiring every time I put something in there.

[I wish I had exact specs for the kitchen, so I knew how much space I have to work with.)

I'm going to visit a local audio place tomorrow, and get some ideas on high-quality, small speakers.

What do you think about the radio antenna? Do you know if it needs to be mounted outside, or can it work if we “bury” it inside the wall? (forgive the stupidity, if this is stupid)

7. AlCat

OK, so sitting on the shelf is not good, so I'll be looking at surface mounting elsewhere in the galley, or even flush mounting so the back is in the cabin cabinets

and the radio needs to be outside. Any thoughts on that?? (I think I will barely use the radio)

8. Evan

What about an iPod mini? I've heard that they have AM/FM built in.
    I suppose if your head unit has radio already you are just looking for a place for the antenna... can you just run the wires to the bumper? (I'm not sure how antennas work).

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

I buried the antenna Inside and it doesnt work well. The speakers in my kitchen are flush mount and backs protrude into upper cabinet completely outta the way. I would really like to share pictures with you because it may be perfect for you. However I do everything with my IPhone and it seems impossible.

10. Evan

Matt, can you email the picutres to me and I'll post them?

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Evan, yes, I will gladly email them to you. Thanks!

12. Evan

Here are Matt's photos. (Very slick install by the way - nice and simple). Matt - feel free to jump in and explain what we are looking at...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. AlCat

I plan to flush mount the speakers just like Matt did.

Not sure where the head unit will go. I think I want it visible from the kitchen, but perhaps in the cabinet on the right (though I am reluctant to take cabinet space.

I am looking at head units that have Weather Channel on them, which is very rare, apparently. Jensen has a couiple. Not sure what to do re antenna. Cary thinks we should mount a "port" on the outside of the camper....but I don't want to mar the exterior perfection!!

Here is the head unit I am thinking of. I've seen it for about $100 less.
    http://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jen...ellite-radio-ready-stereo.html#questions-list

There's a similar model which doesn't have a CD player.

Both models should be more than adequate for handling any "bumping" in the trailer as it rolls along.

Not as simple of an install as the "surface mount" Jensen head units - looks to be the same as Matt's.

(also, I don't plan to put speakers in the cabin. If I decide to do it later, that should be very easy since the "back" the head unit will be in the cabin's cabinet - above your feet- most likely)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  14. AlCat

Matt: Do you by any chance use the P.A. function of this head unit? (I think that may be a useful security measure - that you could yell through the P.A. and scare someone away from your camper...but maybe not)

Am wondering if it's possible to use the P.A. functionality through a speaker mounted under the trailer, for example, rather than through speakers that are closed up when the rear is closed.

I like your insall, especially that it is "up" off the shelf, but I think I want to put my head unit in the kitchen. Either way is a compromise, of course.

15. AlCat

ps Even - thanks very much for posting the pics!!

16. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Nice job we might do something like that. :)

17. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Thanks Evan for posting the pics! The headunit you picked is the same one I have. I used a powered antenna inside camper hidden behind cabinet. It doesn't work great, but does get the weather channels, but FM is weak. That is the only thing I am going to address in the future. The headunit is in a flush mount kit that crutchfield will give you for free, with purchase of headunit. Otherwise it works flawlessly with minimal power drain. The IR sensor is below pump switch. There is a spare remote in utensil drawer, it does all functions thru the IR repeater. Camp inn installed an extra cut off switch under tv cut off in cabin. They also installed speakers and terminated it all in the cabinet I installed headunit in. I like to just set I phone in there and it stays charged off the Jensen. I am not sure about a PA function but it may, you could host campground karaoke!

18. Evan

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  19. AlCat

yes, that's the P.A. system that gave me the idea

the head unit I am thinking of buying (which is the one Matt has) has that capability built in. If the head unit is off, it turns on if you turn the microphone on.

I don't think Matt would find it useful, as Matt already has 4 speakers connected to it. I am guessing you can't add another speaker to it.

20. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

I use the fader a lot. I have kitchen on back and cabin on front. If I am out at kitchen I just fade to back, so if someone is in cabin watching tv, they are undisturbed. You could add another amp and power your PA from that?