Speakers Indoor/outdoor Speaker System

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Evan, Apr 24, 2010.

1. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Matt: I don't currently plan to have speakers in the cabin, so I could put one speaker as "channel 2/B" and use that speaker when I want to use the P.A. system (to scare an intruder away)

but maybe the Jensen isn't as loud as Ron and Olga's PA systgem. I also like that Ron and Olga's system has a "siren" or something that goes along with it.

The P.A. isn't a major issue for me. I'll get the speakers and head unit installed and will do more later, perhaps.

I am leaning toward installing like you did, but with just two speakers (and without IR unit). My wife doesn't want to eat up room in the kitchen with the head unit. Can't say I disagree with her. So hanging the head unit from the "ceiling" of the cabin cabinet is a good approach. I plan for iPod to hang off the iPod connector that we'd surface in the kitchen, somewhere. And I'd control the volume from that....IF the volume CAN be controlled from that....which it probably can't, now that I think of it.

grrr......

Glad we are talking this through. I don't want to make a mistake...

2. Bunni

Bunni Novice

Linda,
    We bought a Cubby Wall-Mount Organizer at the container storehttp://www.containerstore.com/shop/hooks/wallMounted?productId=10023242&N=69019 works great for us. It fits great sitting on the ledge over the couch in our 560. It keeps us from hunting for the keys and phones. It is made to be mounted on the wall but, Meribeth will not allow me anywhere near the raindrop with a drill. :cry: Soon I will perform some minor cosmetic surgery. :D

Benn

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

When I connect iPhone to Jensen via the iPod cable, I cannot use any iPod or volume controls except for on Jensen. The more I hear about the PA function, the more I get freaked out about prowlers! I have never ever had anything like that happen over the course of 2 teardrops and many years of tent camping. But am now pondering installing giant strobe lights and a fog machine. That way if anything happens I can blind and disorient them as I sneak into tow vehicle and take off with raindrop in tow!

4. AlCat

makes sense that you could not "control" the ipod via the ipod once it is connected with the 32-pin connector. That is how it always works when I've used any such connector.

Glad I realized this today.

I don't know how necessary a P.A. system, etc. is, but it would be an easy add to your system. But when you yell into the microphone make sure you have the speakers IN the cabin turned off!! (heck, maybe it's pretty effective to have those speakers turned on, too!!) :)

5. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Matt - youu should also have a gigawatt generator hooked up to your door handle at night to surprise the prowlers. :)

Alcat - The iPod volume will only work when using the headphone output. Whenever you use the connection at the bottom the iPod volume will be bypassed, and you will need to use the external device to control volume.

6. AlCat

Evan: Yes, I knew that, but I wasn't thinking it through - too many other things going on to think about this clearly

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

It has a minijack aux on front and a set of RCA inputs on back. You could use those RCA inputs to add a minijack in kitchen. Advance auto sells a minijack mounted neatly on a small plate, it has RCA connection on a 4' cable. I believe it's sold as a Bell brand product. That would be nice in your kitchen 'pantry'.

8. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Shocking door handles. Great idea Evan, I m on it!

9. AlCat

it's really not the best approach to an iPod, because most devices have really lousy interfaces to the ipod menus. The only good way to control an iPod is via the wheel that tn iPod has. Otherwise it just takes too long (if you have as much music as I do on it, that is)

Not a big deal. Might need to also run a "headphone" cable from my planned iPod locale to the head unit front. That way I can control volume, etc. on iPod from the iPod.

or I can do the IR "magic eye" - which I was not planning

10. AlCat

perfect

good idea

better than running a cable to the front

11. AlCat

but maybe the iPod interface on the Jensen unit allows you to cruise through the alphabet quickly, so you can select "Rolling Stones" without going through each artist one-by-one-by-one-by-one....slowly......

argh! (that is how my Volvo interface works)

12. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Yes, my honda interface isn't that great, but I have a friend whose head has a great touch screen unit. Unless you are already commited to a particular head unit, you may want to look specifically for one with a user friendly iPod interface.

13. AlCat

I like the idea of installing a minijack in the kitchen, which runs back to the rear RCA cables

This one?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/w...al-Electronics_6050301-P_N3599_A|GRP2021_____

Also, did you need anything else for your install? i.e., power converter?

did the mounting bracket come with the head unit, or did you buy that?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  14. AlCat

sorry, I missed this re the flush mount kit

is this the "housing"? (what allows you to mount to the "ceiling" of the cabinet)

15. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Yes, that housing is what I m talking about. It's a universal mounting kit...I guess for really old cars tO mount standard stereo under dash. Didn't need anything else, except antenna, I pod adapter, remote control, and the mounting kit. The minijack will be awesome in your kitchen so you can control volume and iPod easy. Also, keep in mind Jensen has one on front of unit....so if you do put headunit in kitchen, you won't need the additional one.

16. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Very interesting thread. I've been toying with the idea of a Radio just for the back while put-zing around in the kitchen. Don't need one for the cabin, just the kitchen.

I currently use the little LL Bean Survivor/hand cranked/AA battery Am/FM/Wx which works ok, but thought it time to upgrade.

I like the idea of either speakers mounted through the cabinets facing out to the kitchen, but more like the smaller one mounted on the lid like Evan has. Out of the way,

The head? (main radio?) Jensen AM/FM/WX and USB plug? (I don't have an IPod) would be the ideal but use the FM radio the most.
    I was thinking dropping it from the roof of the little cabinet or on the side maybe,depending upon size Would like to have it open in the shelf area to adjust as needed but might take up too much room. Don't need much power, just enough for background in the kitchen area. Not the whole campsite... LOL..

I dunno, something to think about. Probably take some photos down to the local car auto installers to see what they come up with. but on the right track.. thanks for the ideas..

Sigh, back to the "Things I can't live without List"..heheh.. it's always something.

17. AlCat

Matt: Did you see my post concerning the AUX/minijack adaptor/mount? Is that the one you were thinking of? I acutally can't find another, though I am sure there are others.

I'm leaning heavily toward putting the head unit in the bedroom. Craig pointed out that one disadvantage of the kitchen mount is that eventually you will get into bed and not remember if you turned off the head unit....and then you have ot get dressed to go outside to check it. That is such a disadvantage that I can't see it being outweighed by disadvantages of locating the unit inside.

I can see putting it in the kitchen if you really are only using it as a radio. I believe it could be moonted in the rear kitchen wall, projecting into the bedroom cabinet, but "hanging" from the cabinet ceiling, so you don't lose shelf space in the cabin. Of course, that makes the radio very visible in the kitchen, which someone may or may not like. But the kitchen cabinet storage is important, which is another reason I decided to install inside the bedroom.

18. AlCat

yes, we've been referring to the main radio as the "head unit"

This is the stereo unit that you'd install in your car/boat/etc. which contains the amplifier, am /fm/weather band receiver, maybe a cd player, and powers the speakers.

19. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Those little adapters are hard to find anymore. Back in the late 90's and early '00 they were easier. But probably the invention of I pod interface put the ol mini jack out of popularity. You can always just get the cable without the mounting plate. I have seen that everywhere. But the one saw at advance auto was the one I was talking about.

20. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Good point on the Turning off & on but being able to use it while in the kitchen, adjusting as necessary without having to go into the cabin would be easier for me. I only intend to use it while outside in the kitchen area.

The mounting in the rear kitchen wall would work just fine and the speaker above/below it with the other speaker on the other side. Believe that set up would work for me, thanks as I was curious on how to put the head in for outside access..

I usually close it up and that would be a check off the closing list item. heheh... thanks...