Lots of opinions on Canopies

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Evan, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

My lightspeeds are several years old --- actually, only used once. I doubt it.

The top collapses to make for easy folding of the fabric into the collapsing legs. REALLY easy to set up, but not weight-bearing. Kind of like a clam shelter...

Has anyone tried to cut out the screens on a CLAM? They are awesome for set up and breaking down, but they are HOT in the summer. The screens hold in a lot of air....

I keep looking for one in the camp trash bin -- from some one who didn't read the instructions and folding :D Once you tangle it, the only reasonable way to fix it is to get out a 10mm socket and start taking it apart :D Don't ask how I know that ;)

Kevin likes this.
  2. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

While I love a real shower, I find a simple sponge bath is more than adequate when camping. I used to do that in my tent prior to the 560. The lightspeed is a cheap, simple way to do the same thing while standing up. Plus, when/if necessary, you can set up a little port-a-potty inside. For the money, being lightweight, and ease of setup and tear down, I find it a nice option.

Kevin likes this.
  3. Dmitry

Dmitry Novice

They sell black and green; I'm thinking black would be the less transparent choice, when one is doing their business at night, while browsing the Camp-Inn Forum on the phone.

4. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Technically they call it grey. But I agree with you. I ordered the grey one.

5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I feel the same way...add a little vinegar to you water and it does a great job of deodorizing. If you have hair to contend with, dry shampoo works well to keep the hair under control.

I like the "Throwable" tents --- they are held up by coiled wire. They fold up like a band saw and collapse down into a 2 to 2 1/2 foot diameter disk that lays flat. They are also very light.

Setup is easy too...toss it, unfold it, 4 stakes plus guy lines if its windy. When I am in the state parks surrounded by trees, I don't bother.

Re-folding? Not hard --- have to learn how to do it. First time it feels like something bad is about to happen :D

Kevin, JohnC and dustinp like this.
  6. SethB

SethB Ranger

Just wrapped up our Lightspeed this morning, it’s still the one that goes up at every campsite! Been using it to good effect for 6-7 years.

They also now make a rainfly, it went on for the first time on this trip.

We toss the food in there when we’re away from camp, use it for changing, portapotty, and maybe shower some day. Really great design!

Kevin and JohnC like this.
  7. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I saw the rainfly but decided against it based on my intended use.

Amazingly I ordered this late Wednesday night and it arrived today in the big brown truck. I really wanted to try setting it up here at home, but the current heat wave is beyond my desire to do anything outside. lol

SethB likes this.
  8. Dmitry

Dmitry Novice

Kevin and JohnC like this.
  9. SethB

SethB Ranger

Kevin likes this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Isn't that the truth! I've got a collection at this point...

CI's side tent,
    ARB side room kit
    Light speeds
    "throwable" shower
    Gally cover (Kamp King)
    Coleman Event Shelter (nice tent!!! But, heavy)

I'm forgetting a couple...

Kevin likes this.
  11. Dmitry

Dmitry Novice

Would like to thank you for the link. Received the Lightspeed privacy tent in good order. Also ordered two inflatable pillows from them, all on sale. Pillow is very good, packs in a tiny-sized blob, with a washable pillow case.
    Opened the pop-up inside our house yesterday, and was surprised how big it was. Opening it was a breeze, will see how it packs. There is more than enough room for the porta-potty (i.e. a 5-gallon bucket with a Camco toilet seat), and I will try to make the solar shower bag work. The tropical print is definitely a winner...wife-approved.
    Thanks again, saved me a few dollars!

12. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

You're welcome. :)

13. André

André Newbie

Like so many here I am considering adding a Eureka Northern Breeze to our set-up. I am not sure whether folks here who have them are all using the 12’x12’ one or if anyone is using the 10’x10’ version?

I’m curious to know if anyone has tried using the 10’x10’ and has managed to fit the open tailgate inside and still been able to open at least one side door?

(Ours is a 550 SUV height.)

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  14. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Hi Andre, I have the 12x12 and the CI open galley hatch does not hit the inside of roof of the NB.
    I have the Ultra560 at SUV height.

From my experience fitting the NB over the CI I'd estimate the galley hatch may touch the roof, but since the NB is external frame its likely where the hatch corners may youch will be on fabric, and probably ok but will wear over time.

For sure I can say, no you wint have enough room to slide down the side under the NB, but you do in the 12x12.
    The CI fenders get in the way.

Remember the openings on NB centerzip form triangles when held open and to fit either the 12x12 or 10x10 with a good fit will require some square panels custom cut into one end of the CI. There'd discussion and pics in these threads somewhere away back- couple pro level fitments, done by handy owners or subcontracted seamstresses.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    André likes this.
  15. Tom Sutor

Tom Sutor Novice

Kevin likes this.
  16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Pool noodles? Just cut a slot in the side and slip it over the galley -- might increase the overall pressure slightly, but you will be distributing it over a larger area. It amazes me how "flexible" those silly things are --- hundreds of uses far beyond their design intention

I'm curious if they started as pipe insulation first or a child toy?

Jenn and Kevin like this.
  17. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

I bought a new Deluxe G6 Gazelle on their Black Friday sale last fall just before we headed south for the winter, and just got a chance to use it for the first time this past week.
    I made the assumption that the G6 was essentially a Clam with another name with some nice added features, like the second entrance I had added to our Clam myself several years ago. I was wrong. Here are some of the likes and dislikes we found after using it for a few days.
    1) Nicer carry bag, with a padded shoulder strap as well as smaller grab handles near each end, and seems heavier built.
    2) It seems to be generally a better quality heavier construction than our Clam.
    3) The zippered window at the top of each side for increased ventilation.
    4) Higher quality stakes than I've seen with any tent including Clam.
    5) The G6 inside its storage bag is about 6+ inches shorter than the Clam, making it an easier fit inside the CI cabin on the diagonal. Which brings me some of the dislikes.
    Dislikes
    1) It is not as big as the Clam. We initially thought our normal placement of the chairs and tables as we usually setup in the Clam didn't work as well in the G6 due to the secondary door being in a different place, interfering with the larger table placement. We made it work, but it just seemed a little tighter quarters with the new layout.
    2) The smaller mesh screen used on the G6 seems to cut airflow through them even more than with the Clam, so it did seem to get warmer inside than what we've been accustomed to. But this is where the zippered window panels at the top of each side saved the day. As soon as we opened them we noticed an immediate breeze making it through that we hadn't felt up until then. During the day when the sun was heating the tent, and there was a breeze, that helped cool the interior down enough to be comfortable, but as dusk came, along with the mosquitoes, we were able to zip them up without a noticeable increase in temp., and we set up our new propane fire pit just outside the G6 so we could watch it
    bug free from inside, and still enjoy it.
    We came home last night, so this morning I went to each company's website to check the specs, and sure enough, the Clam is about 8 inches taller, has about 18 sq.ft. more area inside, and is 7 lbs lighter than the G6.

Here are each of their spec pages: Gazelle Tents G6 Deluxe 6-Sided Portable Gazebo, Easy Pop-Up Hub Screen Tent, Waterproof, UV Resistant, Attached Wind Panels, 8-Person & Table, Badlands Brown, 86" x 124" x 124", GG610BR
    Clam Pavilion Screen Tent

So, all in all, I like them both, but I like G6 a little better than the Clam for the likes mentioned above, even though it is not as roomy. But if you can tackle adding a second door yourself, and are willing trade not having open-able windows for added ventilation, and really need the extra space inside, then the Clam may be the better choice for you.

I've included a few pic here that show how we used a tarp to seal off the underside of the CI from mosquitoes, bugs, and critters from entering the enclosed galley area once the G6 or Clam is set up. I also made some devices that lightly hold the edges of the screen panels against the walls of the CI for better exclusion of flying vampires.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 7:53 AM
    Kevin and Jenn like this.
  18. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

oops, forgot the tarp pics!

Attached Files:

Kevin, Van_and_Terri and Jenn like this.
  19. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We bought the G5 about 8 months ago after owning two Clams. I agree that the Gazelle seems to be slightly higher quality. The stakes are impressive. I do see that Gazelle came out with Tri-Mesh screening material which supposedly allows for improved air flow. We did spring for the floor; but it seems to move a bit with foot traffic. The Gazelle did exceed my expectations.

Jenn, dustinp and Kevin like this.
  20. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

dustinp likes this.