Lots of opinions on Canopies

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Evan, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The 'bar' arragnment you have on the galley --- nice looking solution. Care to elaborate on that?

2. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

I think you are referring to the clamp down device for holding the screen door edges against the CI wall to keep bugs out.
    They were made with a set of suction cup https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N13T8X2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 from which I removed the strap clips. A short piece of 3/4 in pvc pipe with a hole drilled thru it will fit into space where the strap was, and be held in place using the same bolt. That piece of pvc should be long enough to extend past the suction cup enough to fully engage in a pvc elbow. I made these about a year ago to use on the Clam, so I don't remember exact measurements, and they are out at the hangar right now, so not handy to measure, but once you get the two ends made, you can just measure the distance on the side of the CI that you intend to have them in place, and cut a piece of the 3/4" pvc to that length, plus the depth it inserts into the elbows. That length will depend somewhat on how far into the enclosure you put the CI's galley, but mine is in to where the enclosure opening is above the galley hatch hinge point.

Some foam pipe wrap around the pvc gives them a little more traction on the material you're clamping down on, and some compress-ability. The bolts holding the short pvc piece into the clamp need to be fairly tight to keep the bar where you set it when installing. The suction cups come with a sticky silicone face that is protected with a thin cellophane like disc when you get them new. Save those discs to keep the sticky face from being contaminated when not being used. They also come with a hard plastic cover for that purpose, but I found that those don't stay on very well, so I keep some small rubber bands on the units to help keep those in place during storage as well. The sticky silicone is supposed to be washable to remove contaminates and re-freshen the stickiness, but haven't tried that yet. I just make sure to wipe any road grime off the CI before sticking them on to both make sure they hold on to the CI well, and to keep them clean and sticking well. So far they have held on to both the CI, and the enclosure screen flaps pretty well.

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

This is a great idea. I know when I did my March experiment with the clam & the heater I was able to get the clam up to 60's but there was a tremendous amount of air leaking from around the camper, and underneath. I could have gotten it warmer still which would have been nice. I was trying to come up with a way that looked decent without drilling holes --- this look like a great solution.

I have those same cups, they do work well, though I would never trust them for a critical need. This looks like a great use.

dustinp and Kevin like this.