Leveling Jacks

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by jfocallag, May 20, 2012.

1. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Ken,

You have a older style jack. The newer ones have a big nut on them so they can be run by a socket.

If wanting to use a cordless drill on the style jack you have it is actually even easier. Take a piece of metal rod the same diameter as your jack handle and bend the end over a bit to match the bent end on your jack handle. Then just chuck the rod in your cordless drill and you are all set.

Or you can by one of the "surplus" handles we have in stock for that vintage of jacks from our online store. Just cut the handle off right before the speed wrench bend. Then chuck that up on the gun. That is how we did it when we used those jacks in production.

Cary

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Ah, it all makes sense now... Thanks Cary, I may just order one of those jack handles.

3. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

You folks that don't own a cordless drill may want to check out your local Costco. In Salem, Or where we live they have a heavy duty drill with lith/ion batteries for under $100.00. Don't know how long they will last but this is cheaper than buying two batteries alone for an older unit.

4. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Camco 57363 Leveling Scissor Jack Socket - AMAZON $6.53, I'd give you the link but it attaches my account info... sorry

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Ken & Peggy

Bosch 2 Tool Kit

I just found the Bosch 18V 2-Tool Kit (Compact Tough DD & ID w/ (2) SlimPack HC Batteries) for $206 at Ohio Power Tools , which is quite a bit better than the Amazon price of $243 and TONS better than locally @ $299. PLUS, by entering the promo code Bosch40 at checkout you get an additional $40 off. So, for $165 + $15 s&h = $180, you get both drills, 2 HC slim batteries, the charger and the case. But that's not all folks - Bosch is giving you 2 ADDITIONAL Lion batteries FREE via a mail in rebate kind of deal. Those batts are valued at $100.

I could not pass up that deal. They will be getting a workout real soon as I'll be replacing our deck this summer. And one of our lucky offspring will get the old DeWalt 14.4 volt drill/driver.

6. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Re: Bosch 2 Tool Kit

I have found a much better buy at Costco. Craftsman 20V, 599lbs torque, led work light, 2 batteries, bag. for $99.00

If I can figure out how to post a picture of it I took with my phone I will.

7. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

I have found a much better buy at Costco. Craftsman 20V, 599lbs torque, led work light, 2 batteries, bag. for $99.00

If I can figure out how to post a picture of it I took with my phone I will.

8. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Good luck with the Craftsman, they make great hand tools but their power tools are crap... and their drill bits are really crap!

But that's just my opinion.

9. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

This may be so, however you are only using it to run a jack up and down and if it fails you still have the rod that comes with the jack and an extra 200 dollars to buy another.

10. Ken & Peggy

Dave, that's true. Actually, you'd only have an extra $80 to put towards another, though. But if you're only using it to operate the jack on the teardrop, that's a good deal. I'm planning on using it for it's intended purpose, and probably won't use it on the teardrop until I get much older. ;)

11. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

If it is a Craftsman, lifetime guarantee

12. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

It is a Craftsman. Please note I was not commenting on which brand is best. I was just letting people know of a good deal. If indeed it has a two year waranty that is a bonus plus Costco stands behind everything it sells. For under $100. with two batteries, light you could use to find the bathroom in the middle of the high and a rapid charger I challenge anyone to find a better buy.

And a disclamer I do not work for Costco. LOL Dave

13. JB

JB Novice

Ken, Thanks for the Ohio Power Tools tip, even with the $20 shipping to N.H. It seems like a good deal. Have had good luck w/Bosch tools in the past, spark plugs too, the only plugs where the ceramic doesn't break after being shot from a signal cannon.

J&B

14. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Noticed that Harbor Freight has 18 Volt Cordelss 3/8 drill for 16.99. Good price if anyone wants this to raise and lower the jacks. Dave

15. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

That's scary cheap, does it double as a flame thrower?

16. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

No but it might make a good paper weight if it doesn't work.

Dave

17. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Flame thrower?

Jim

18. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

You could jack up your camper and start the campfire with one easy tool....put a bottle opener on it and it's a steal for that price!

19. Jim and Sue L.

Jenn...

What do you intend to do with a flame thrower?

Wait - don't answer that. It's too scary.

Sue

20. Jim and Sue L.

That'll larn 'em!

Ouch.

Sue