Inquiry First Annual Nw Camp-inn Round Up - Ideas...

Discussion in 'Gatherings' started by Evan, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Re: First Annual NW Camp-Inn Round Up!

Update on the NW Round Up:

First, Beacon Rock is out because they are booked solid. In fact almost all group sites in State Parks are booked through the sweet spot of the summer.

The National Forest Campgrounds have a few openings. They will probably all have pit toilets and be a bit more primitive than State Parks, but also less crowded. I'm trying to find something close to the Portland area - that seems to be the most central location for our NW owners.

Here are two options:

Atkisson, WA - Weekend of August 6th
    Near Trout Lake, WA
    $75/night, 50 people, 20 vehicles
    1.75 hrs from Portland
    2.5 hrs from Yakima
    4.5 hrs from Seattle
    6.5 hrs from Medford
    5.5 hrs from Spokane

South Shore Group Site - Weekend of July 30th
    Near Redmond, OR
    $100/night, 50 people, unlimited vehicles
    3 hrs from Portland
    4 hrs from Yakima
    5.75 hrs from Seattle
    4 hrs from Medford
    7 hrs from Spokane

NW people, please let us know your thoughts on either of these locations. Hopefully we can get a reservation happening before the days disappear.

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I think when it says it has a comfort station, that it is a flush toilet vs. a pit toilet and is handicapped accessible.

Upon further research, it is hard to tell which type of facilities Atkisson has. Will just have to find out if we go there.

3. jfocallag

I voted.

4. Evan

Oops - so you did. I forgot to click the right button. :)

5. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Thanks Evan for getting this going!

6. Evan

OK - we've got an even split, so I'm thinking I'll break the tie in favor of Atkisson. It is significantly closer to everybody from the NW except the poor southern Oregon folks.

But first, I'll wait a day in case anybody has any serious objections... Remember, Atkisson will be on the 6th through the 9th of August. If you can't make Atkisson, but could make South Shore a week earlier now is the time to shout out.

If you think you will be able to come, please RSVP here so we get an idea of how many to expect.

Thank you!

7. jfocallag

I can make Atkisson but would be iffy on South Shore. South Shore is the weekend after we get back from our trip to pick up the 560 and I am not sure that my Mom would be up for another excursion that soon.

8. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Evan,
    Is this $75 and $100 per night? If so, I'm having sticker shock...I just spent $20 and $10 per night in Texas...

OOPS! Just re-read the post - yep - per night! OUCH!

9. jfocallag

Linda,

That is for the group site per night. You divide the amount by attendees and it is more reasonable provided you get enough people. If all 7 show up it will be 10.71 or 14.58 per night. I think the sites can handle from 20 to 50.

10. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

We've done the group site before & it works out pretty well - you get sites together, are in your own little "world" and splitting the cost makes it very reasonable.

:cool:

11. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

The times. Mardi Gras - $82/night with a min. of 5 nights at KOA. Near Key West - KOA is $110 per night. The Florida State parks in the Keys are $43/night if you reserve 11 months in advance, otherwise they are full. Our East coast travels have probably averaged $35 to $40 a night - always with a hot shower. Cheap. We still save over $100 a day with the tear which will have paid for itself after our upcoming trip to the Keys. It's nice going first class without a Class A mobile motel room.

Hilditch

12. Evan

So, one more reason to do Atkisson. Now's the time for any other opinions...

13. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Camping fees & rates vary widely, depending on location & what type of site you choose.

People choose to camp wherever fits their needs/wants the best. We generally don't choose the private campgrounds unless that is the only choice, partly due to the cost, crowds & commercial nature. Most of the time we camp in state or national parks/forests, Army Corp of Engineers parks, or county parks.

Army Corp of Engineers Parks are anywhere from $12-$20/night. No other fees/sticker required

Wisconsin State Parks require vehicle stickers (Daily $7; season $25/resident; $10/$35 non-res). Camping fees vary from $12-$15/res; $14-$17/non-res; $5 additional fee for electricity; $10 fee for advance reservation.

County parks range from $10-$20/day. Some require vehicle stickers, some don't.

:cool:

14. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Makes sense!

15. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

we are pretty sure we'll be able to make either weekend. We'll be tenting it (assume there will be grassy spots)unless our TD is done in time for us to go from WA state to Necedah and back = wouldn't that be fine!

16. Evan

Kathy & Bob, I'm glad to hear you may be there - even sans teardrop. You can learn alot about how you want to set things up by having a dozen setups all in a row to look at.

17. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I need to double check our sailing schedule. I know there is loads of stuff in July and there is something late August. I know I said either, but I had forgotten about that. We will be home late Thursday night, and I can get back to you Friday. If you need a decision before that, go ahead and we'll try to make it! Thanks again!

18. Evan

We'll be fine until then. I'll make the reservation on Saturday. Anybody else, shout out before then if you got something that need said. :)

19. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Well - WE MIGHT! Depends on a possible wedding in the family...

20. martha

martha Newbie

Evan,
    Can I be a maybe? I'm toying w the idea of visting friends in Idaho & Montana. Thinking of making a big loop trip.