Inquiry 20th Dam Gathering Of The Tears

Discussion in 'Gatherings' started by nwhiker, Dec 24, 2012.

1. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Didn't The guy that hosted that event retire?

3. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

I don't know just what I read on their web site. I was considering going but there are only so many places one can go before you run out of money or time.

Dave

4. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I have thought about going in past years. Sounds like a lot of fun. If folks are planning on it, speak up!

5. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I went last year. I went for the whole week. There were about 90 attendees with all different kinds of teardrops and trailers.

The park is older so the bathrooms need a bit of updating. I used the water in my fresh water tank or store bought. The water from the spouts at the sites occasionally came out rusty probably due to us being the first campers of the season. Other than that, the RV park is nice. There is wifi at the office and 11 channels if you park in one of the electric sites.

The RV park extends the gathering rate if you want to go early or stay late. There are a mix of electric and tent sites. The tent site area isn't opened up until Thursday.

The grounds are nice and it is right next to Lake Shasta. The marina is a separate business from the RV park. If you have a kayak it would be really easy to put in but don't know what the rules are so you would have to check with the marina. The access to the water is down a steep hill. A number of people were able to fish from the docks.

The are a number of planned activities including a DO cook off and pot lucks. They have a raffle and this year will be having a derby. You are within driving distance of Shasta Dam and other attractions. I enjoyed just sitting and reading my book, taking Bailey for walks and socializing.

The weather last year was beautiful except for Thursday when it rained. I was dry and warm in my 560 or the Northern Breeze.

This will be the last year that it will be a formal planned gathering. They will continue to have the gathering every year but it will be more of an informal gathering, i.e. no t-shirts or registration.

I am going again this year for the whole week.

6. Mick'nSarah

Joan, I might look at going. I will have the half-pint, but not sure Mick will be with us. Maybe we can hook up down there. Would be nice to know some people!

7. jfocallag

8. Mick'nSarah

That sounds like a good one too. I need to wait for my registration to go through for Tearjerkers (could have sworn I joined a while ago). I am wondering if I can work out the timing. I am gong to Plymouth, CA (just outside Sacramento) the weekend before, for my dear friend's wedding. If I can hang at her house a bit (not sure what things will look like yet), I might be ale to hit that one on the way home. Hmmmmm. Are you doing that one too? I would love to explore a bit more of Southern Oregon. Haven't spent much time there at all.

9. jfocallag

Yes, I am planning on going to that one too. I hope to arrive on Wednesday.

10. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

OK talked myself into it we will definately go. How early do you need to arrive to get the better camp sites ie electricity. Is Monday or Tuesday April 29th 30th or is that necessary.

Look forward to meeting some of you. This will be our first outsing of any length.

Dave & Dixie

11. jfocallag

Dave & Dixie,

Last year, I arrived on Sunday. People trickled in on Monday and Tuesday. More came on Wednesday. I think if you are set on an electrical site, I would plan on arriving no later than Tuesday. Not sure what it is going to be like this year since it is the 20th and the last formal one.

Below is a link to Antlers RV Park if you haven't already found it:

http://www.antlersrvpark.com/

12. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Not really...lol...

Grant Whipp, the host & All Time Guru of All Things Teardrop, is a great guy & a good friend of ours with whom we have had the pleasure of camping a few times & talking with many.

With his business, Lil Bear Tagalongs, started in 1984 & still going strong in Redding, CA, he is the longest running builder of the "modern" teardrop. Today, he mostly sells parts for home builders. He is a wealth of knowledge, a great promoter of teardrops (being one of the main reasons they have gained such a large following over the past nearly 30 years) & is very generous with both his time & donations at teardrop gatherings.

Some of you may be familiar with his website Teardrops.net teardrop forum "Teardrop Talk," & Destinations page with a very extensive list of teardrop gatherings all across the U.S.

Any of you who attend the IRG or any of the Jefferson State Tearjerker gatherings will have had a chance to meet Grant. :)

:cool:

13. jfocallag

Since I have no camping stories to tell and I probably won't be camping until the end of April, I thought I would mention that it is 26 days until I leave for the DAM gathering.

14. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

See you there Jenn. Dave & Dixie

15. Mick'nSarah

Oh Jenn, wish you were coming! Hopefully we will cross paths in September though. Hope you are well, and I have anew chicken story for you. We had to install a special door on the new compost bin for them. Ack! Stupid foul! :)

Back to shoveling mulch. I'd rather be camping.

16. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

I ment to say hope to see you there Joan I got my J's mixed up. PS I hope to meet many of you. This is our first official outing since picking our trailer up in late Oct. Dave

17. jfocallag

Dave,

I am sure that I will see you there. It will be a good time. Only three weeks now.

18. Mick'nSarah

We have a big compost heap that we had to put walls around to keep the compost in and not all over the yard. The chickens, in their attempt to scratch, toss it everywhere. We put up a little fence (walls that stand about a foot and a half tall), but the chickens wouldn't go in (and we love them in there). Mick took a couple of panels off for them to walk through. It took a couple of days to figure it out. They get in there now, and only one of them is strong enough to throw things over the walls. They are crazy!

19. Bechtle

Bechtle Novice

Preview
    Sarah

I'm planning to attend. I have some schedule conflicts to resolve. I'll bring the Tear if I can, if I cant, I'll expect to be there for a few hours Saturday afternoon. Antlers is about an hours drive for me.

20. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Wish we could make it, especially as two of our teardrop friends, Dean & Joanie, are getting hitched at the gathering!

:cool: