Stove Under Counter Trays Wind

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by AlCat, Apr 17, 2023.

Tags:
  1. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Has anyone developed a way to flip up the storage hatch covers to block wind to stove while also having a counter surface where the hatch covers had been?

I envision a two part hatch cover - one part flips up while the other stays down as a counter….but too all are more clever than I.
    -Al
    Camping in breezy Arizona for three weeks

Kevin S likes this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Not yet, but good idea. The "Side Covers" help a lot too!!!

I'm wondering if a rod held in place with a snap or magnet with a fire retarant "drape" could be used instead of a complex hinge. I know when I'm cooking, I seem to spend a lot of time moving the inner trays, counter tops, all the while looking for the towel I use to wipe up as I go :)

Kevin S likes this.
  3. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

If you want something a little easier to make, I made a folding wind guard that plugs into the holes on either side of the stove area that the pegs on the kitchen table plug into when stored. It works pretty good. One that flips up & down horizontally would be nice too, but this one fits on top of the stove for storage when folded, where one that splits horizontally would be too long for the storage area without extending into the cooking area where the cooler sits during travel.

Attached Files:

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Great idea....Looks like a job for some 6061 aluminum :)

What is the story on the stove? That one is completely different from any other I've ever seen...

5. dustinp

Good eye.. I had a left over wing skin from the plane building project (I always wondered why one wing had more lift than the other:D), and some extruded milspec piano hinge, so decided this would be a good use for them.

The original stove worked great except when you wanted to let something simmer on a very low flame, and then it seemed like it would inevitably go out after a few minutes. I know some folks would keep the flame higher, and use a flame diffuser to keep the heat down on the pan, but I decided to try a different stove.
    The Camp-Chef had pretty much the same dimensions as the OEM stove, so with a little modification I was able to mount it on the same slide-out as the original. In addition to having better flame adjust-ability, my wife likes the fact that it has a piezo electric start rather than having to use a lighter or matches and getting the big poof when it lights. We've liked it so far, but kept the OEM in case we wanted to go back.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    rmbrowder, Kevin S and Ken & Peggy like this.
  6. Bruce O

Bruce O Novice

I had the same issue and bought a camp folding stove windscreen on Amazon. Just search "Stove Windscreen". Mine works great!

Sweeney likes this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Definately more convenient than making one ;) I think if I look around my kingdom of filth I actually have one of these :)

Actually bad eye --- I just lost my medical just a few days ago. So, now have a small supply of 6061 that I will probably repurpose to do something like this -- I think I even have the hinges...

The stove is a nice looking mod. The burners look remarkably similar, I"m surprised there's any difference. I have to admit the piezo start would be nice. The number of times I've had to run around looking for the starter is high enough to be annoying, and a zippo (which I always carry) you've got to get your fingers just a little too close to the flames.

The trick to avoiding the 'woof' start is to light the match, then turn on the gas. Not the other way around.

I'm reminded of a video that went viral a few years ago, but I can't find it...mushroom cloud over a house as they were lighting the grill...that would be me ;)

Kevin S likes this.
  8. Bruce O

Bruce O Novice

Here's my handy little modification for the Bic lighter.

Attached Files:

9. dustinp

Sorry to hear about losing your medical. Did you consider going with a basic med vs a 1st-3rd class? a lot easier to get and maintain unless you are doing commercial flying. I know several people who have lost their medical, jumped through the hoops required to get it back, then shifted to basic med the next time they were due.

I think the difference in the stoves may be mainly in the valves adjustability.

If you have a complete, but unfinished flying project, you may do better to sell it as a complete project rather than use the components for other purposes. Kits seem to have suffered from inflationary pressures to even a greater extent than some other segments.

The concept you describe for avoiding the woof is sound, but understood by some more than others...nuff said. ;)

Kevin S likes this.
  10. We are prepping for a 30 day trip and haven’t had to cook in terribly windy conditions yet…

We don’t have the CI Wind blockers that go in the door jam. Are these very important/effective?

Trying to strike a balance between “be prepared for everything” and “don’t bring stuff you don’t/won’t need”

Kevin S likes this.
  11. dustinp

I built the wind blocker panel above when we were still using an EZ-up style canopy that didn't have sides on it, and it was effective for that situation. Since we started using the Clam Pavilion enclosure with it's wind walls, it really hasn't been needed. We haven't had the galley side curtains ourselves, so can't attest to their effectiveness, but suspect that it would somewhat depend on the wind direction. The other option in the meantime would be to open the storage doors to use as a wind block as described above.

12. Bruce O

Bruce O Novice

The Galley Windscreens are nice if it's really blowing or raining. They are easy to deploy when needed with just a couple snaps and rollup out of the way when not needed. Like everything on the CI - they are well engineered and designed.

dustinp likes this.
  13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Yah, I have. I've never been denied a medical, so I could still use basic med, so technically "haven't lost" -- but functionally...I'm grounded. I can't self-certify, nor would I feel safe flying as PIC solo. Perhaps with a safety pilot. The condition could correct, and I will reassess. Medically there isn't much that can be done except steroids....which I really don't want to take. I can live with the condition, and it won't stop me from doing other things I love.

I definitely won't be scrapping anything --- I just have some sheets that are the right size do make the wind guard. Trust me, I'm not going to throw away good money --- I've done enough of that is other ways!

dustinp likes this.
  14. Steve & Betsy

Steve & Betsy Novice

We found a windscreen on Amazon that worked good. It has a clip at the right height that the cabinet door latch can be used to hold it upright.

It’s a Redcamp 8 plate camping stove windscreen, with carrying case. It was $11. Set up size is 26”x9.5”.

Amazon says item is currently unavailable and they don’t know when or if it will be back in stock. We feel lucky as we just bought it 3 weeks ago.

Perhaps there is other sources it can be found at.

Attached Files:

Sweeney, Kevin S and dustinp like this.
  15. SethB

SethB Ranger

possibly the 10-plate version for $16 could be McGuyvered into an 8-plate.
    https://www.amazon.com/REDCAMP-Windscreen-Aluminum-Windshield-Lightweight/dp/B074556T6D

Andrew Cushingham and Kevin S like this.
  16. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Kevin S likes this.
  17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I like it.

18. SLO Camper

SLO Camper Junior Ranger

Amazon has it in red

dustinp likes this.
  19. dustinp

Pretty flashy!

20. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Shiny. What is it about anodized aluminum? That is very nice!!!!