Your favorite Paper Towel holder

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Mick'nSarah, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Hi all-

I was looking on here to see if folks had talked much about paper towel holders and there wasn't much (a bit, but I am looking for more). So I thought I would start a thread about them and see what response we get.

I am looking for a good paper towel holder for Dottie...I am so tired of the paper towels taking up space in the cupboard or on the shelf!

What kind/style do you have in your tear?
    Do you remember where you bought it and what it cost (ballpark)?
    Where exactly did you mount it on the hatch so it didn't affect closure?
    Do you have a picture you can share with the rest of us (preferably with the towel roll off so it is easier to see)?
    Any other advice for us?

I just bought one I think I am going to return (not sure if it will work), but I wanted to see what experience others have had so far.

Thanks so much for your insight!

2. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

You don't want much Sarah. Install it for you too?

1950's Scott metal spring loaded towel holder with a biker vest chain hanging in front to stop wind unwind. Cost, $15 (+/- $10) on eBay. Sides fold in but never do because a full roll fits fine with the galley hatch closed when mounted in the right place. Screwed onto 1/2" plywood, held by 3M double stick tape (grey). Holds roll snugly for easy one handed, one sheet tears. Toro red.

[​IMG]

Hilditch

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

4. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have the one in Evans first link.

5. Mick'nSarah

Thanks Evan, I remembered that link, but couldn't find it. Found the one that LadyMc recommended. Thanks for the help.

Thanks Hilditch too. I am handy enough to do my own install, but like to get recommendations from folks before I buy certain things and I always have a lot of questions (but I tend to learn a lot in the process...just the way I was raised...would rather look foolish asking questions, than looking foolish doing something wrong). There is a lot of junk out there and was most interested in seeing where folks installed for best support and so I could leave it where it was.

Do I remember someone installing the towel holder on the underside of the table? Can't remember. How is that working out, of it is you? Are things staying out of the way enough? Still easy to pack and unpack the table? I don't have the cooler stand, so I was also thinking about installing on the underside of the table, but wanted to double check with folks.

6. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

I forget whoes picture I saw this on but someone had a paper towel holder on the top of their cooler. I figured it was magnetic. I thought that looked like a great idea for us but I have not looked into one yet.

7. Evan

I think Hilditch has a bungy or something under his table that holds a dish towel.

8. Mick'nSarah

Ooh! I have seen some magnetic ones, but disregarded them thinking I had nothing to really stick them to. The cooler is a great idea too, since it is steel. Maybe I will look into that too. Thanks for the idea!

9. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Observation and what I do with my dishtowels: There's a small metal rod that runs the width of the hatch when opened and I just slip my dishtowels under that, starting with a corner. I don't know why people don't just use that!

As to my paper towel holder- I got the one Betsey recommended but it's still not installed. I'm afraid to put screw holes in the wrong place. I cNt tell exactly where to put it so the hatch closes. Help!

10. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I put mine on the cooler... Little suction disks with the holder just sliding in so you can take it off. Suctions stay on, but be advised... heheheh.. you have to remover them if you put your cooler in the stove area for traveling... lessons learned, tight fit and the table resting on the cooler (w/ disks still on it) wont close.
    Just use a rubber back to keep the towels from unraveling during the wind, and if under the canopy well enough for the rain, stays relatively dry...
    Look closely you can see the two rubber banks tied together. One for the holder and one for the towel roll.

[​IMG][/URL]

The two little notches that hold the holder to the suction disks are pointing up, so when you open the lid, it won't fall off... works well and haven't found a reason to change it..
    good luck..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  11. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

fpoole I think yours was the one I saw in a pic and thought it was magnetic. hmm.

12. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Nah, just little suctions disks that came with the unit, nothing fancy. Velcro would probably work better and putting on the front side or side would work too. It seems to work fine, it's out of the way of the kitchen. Just need the rubber bands or something to keep the wind from unraveling it... not a big deal.

13. AllanFran

AllanFran Newbie

I think I like the Perfect Tear paper towel holder, but I naturally thought to install it on the right (non-sink) side of the kitchen. That's where I had the the plastic one that broke the second trip out. I am tallish and wear a hat most of the time so the sink side would just mean knocking my hat off all the time.

But pictures and my recollection of the NW camp show perhaps a majority of people put the towel holder on the sink side.

Before I drill any holes I have to check with the forum to see if there is a compelling argument either way. I thought my hat was compelling but cooler heads advise caution. I will start with that double sided tape -- or a wad of duct tape -- in any event to avoid holes, but what does anyone else think?

14. Mick'nSarah

I ended up getting a magnetic one that I keep hooked either to the top or side of my cooler (depends on if it is on a table or not). I can still open and close the cooler with it hooked on, and I can close the hatch with it in either place. One other added advantage...no holes.

If we get the refrigerator cooler, I am going to have to rethink this though, because they ate plastic.

15. AllanFran

AllanFran Newbie

And my cooler is one of those nice stainless steel Coleman coolers -- non magnetic. In fact there is almost nothing magnetic on a CI -- SS kitchen and fenders, alu skin, wood everywhere. I could put the holder on my truck but I would forget and drive off... Talk about the wind unrolling your towels!

16. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

I bought the paper towel holder that Betsey has and we're too chicken to drill holes and install it, so I just put my paper towels on the shelf on the right. When we get to the Camp Outt I plan on asking someone there to install it - bring a drill Cary!

17. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Ours is mounted near the sink as well, since when the hatch is closed there is the sink opening to be sure nothing is hitting the paper towels. Unlike the other side of the trailer, where we sometimes leave coffee, cups, etc. I'm sure either side would work out, and by not making a permanent choice right away, you'll be happy with your ultimate decision ;)

18. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Did I post the one I bought this past winter? :confused: I don't remember that...oh well, wouldn't be the first time I didn't remember something. :D

Mine just got attached to the hatch about a month ago. It is mounted on the side opposite the sink. Wouldn't work for me over the sink.

:cool:

19. Evan

Allan - start with tape, and if you like the placement then get out the drill. (Ours is on the right side.)

Lipster likes this.
  20. Mick'nSarah

I have the green metal Coleman cooler, and they stick to those...