Misc Which Options

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Lindamortensen, Nov 10, 2016.

1. We are in the process of ordering a 550. We plan to utilize primarily camp sites with power hookup. The AGM battery option is a given. Those with and with out TV battery charge/ isolation please share your experience and opinion. Is the extra lift off road that raises it 3 inches needed? What do you regret not having on your teardrop that if you ordered one today, you would change or add?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  2. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

I have every option except the grab bars and furnace and no regrets about any of them. You are more likely to regret what you did not get! I have used the AC several times and was happy to have it. I would add the grab bars for sure, regret not getting them. Also have used the screen doors quite a few times. On the fence about the furnace. Trying out a double sleeping bag next weekend and will know better. Love Fall/Winter camping in So Cal. So many more sites available and less crowded.

Don't assume you will always have shore power, it really limits the availability of sites you can camp in and you will end up sandwiched between large RVs a lot. My experience in So Cal is that I end up without shore power the majority of the time. I would recommend the solar hookup without the controller as most panels come with their own controller. I also recommend picking out your panel first so they can install the matching plug type.

Some TVs have a battery isolator and some don't. I got one for the camper so that I never have to worry about it.

My 2 pennies, hope that helps! Congrats!

Randy

3. thank you !!

4. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I would agree with Randy on most points. As for the furnace, keep in mind that it will crank out a lot of heat by your head, and less of that heat will get to your feet. And it will burn through the propane in the standard tiny tank fairly quickly (the tank lasts us for three months while cooking twice per day, but I doubt it would last much more than a week running the furnace [I'm probably way off base with this guess, but there are owners who could give you a realistic estimate of fuel use]). There are other options for staying warm. The furnace also limits the room in the pass thru, and ours is jammed with stuff that we really wouldn't want to have to store elsewhere.

Solar is a good option when not on shore power. But AC or a heated mattress pad will require a generator. And I'm not yet convinced that a 100 watt solar panel is sufficient to keep the Dometic from running the battery down when camping in high heat. But it does help a lot.

As for the SUV height option, ground clearance isn't the only consideration. At 6'0", the extra height is usually enough to keep me from banging my head on the galley hatch when it is open (this varies, because campsites aren't all level). And the bed is at a better sitting height when the door is open. The counterpoint to that thought is that we have a low ground clearance tow vehicle with a boxy back end. It seems the combination of the low tow vehicle and high trailer creates an issue with the tow vehicles' vortex forcing rain water up into the window condensation drains. This latter issue has been partly resolved by a combination of fixes, but still occurs when several factors are present. A tow vehicle with a clearance similar to the trailer's is probably the ideal, but so is not banging your head a lot. But tow vehicles tend to change frequently, and you will have the camper for a long time.

The other consideration for SUV height, if you aren't as tall as I am, is whether it might make the galley hatch too tall to open it easily. It would be a pain to have to carry a step stool to open and close the hatch.

As for options we bought but could have lived without, the trailer hitch is the main one, and after seeing how much a Yakima rack with bicycles on the trailer decreased fuel economy for our tow vehicles I'd say we could have skipped that also. Camping with the doors open and screen doors in place is our preferred option, when privacy and temperature are good enough.

Evan likes this.
  5. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

I bought used and it has most features. Love the side screens...have slept with screens only and great to air it out during the day. The 3" lift would be nice...I'm using 6" drop receiver on both my mid size suv's. I'm not tall, but would be nice with the counters up too. I'm not a fan of building technology into the trailer...it changes too often and upgrades will be challenging to retrofit. I'd pass on a tv install for that reason...use an iPod, a mobile tv or DVD player like kids use in cars, your computer, etc. Red Box is everywhere, the mobile hotspots are great for streaming, etc. looks better too IMO. A/C is a must, as are brakes. Heat depending on where you live...I don't miss it. Good luck!

6. Randy

Great points about the furnace I hadn't considered. I have a 120 watt panel and it keeps the Dometic running just fine for days. One feature I can' t recommend highly enough is the parking brake. A must have in my opinion.

7. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

We didn't get the parking brake and in four plus years and 50,000+ miles we have not found a situation where we wished we had it. It would probably be good to hear from others who have the parking brake, to see how often it gets used and in what situations it is indispensable. To me, it's just one more item that needs occasional maintenance.

What sort of temps have you been running the Dometic in? When it gets into the 90s and we are only able to run the panel in the afternoons the battery looses ground. (especially now, with the sun much lower on the horizon - the light is probably being filtered though layers of pollution). Keep in mind that we change campsites nearly every day, and often don't drive far enough for the car's alternator to fully charge the camper battery (not an issue if we were on shore power the night before, but it is with extended use of the solar panel). So we are a very unique set of circumstances. Someone driving hundreds of miles to a favorite campsite and staying there for days will have a completely different experience than ours. And this year in particular we have camped in a LOT of 90 degree+ weather (our Goldilocks zone is highs in the mid-70s to low 80s).

8. Randy

Anytime there is a sloped surface, e.g., my driveway, it's great to be able to slap on the brake. I has a couple of occasions that without the brake there was potential for the trailer to get away from me. No maintenance has been required.

9. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I'm curious as to whether you all got the electric brakes with your trailer. I want to keep it as simple as possible and it seems that if the trailer is stripped down (ex. no sink/water) that it would be light enough for the tow vehicle to adequately brake. The less maintenance required the better from my perspective.

10. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Handben,

About a year ago my husband, Kyle, and I had a scary experience on the interstate traveling home from camping. Traffic was heavy, and people were driving way too close at a high speed. Without warning, the car ahead of us crashed hard into the rear of the car ahead of them.
    Kyle hit the brakes, and I could FEEL the electric breaks on the 550 teardrop! I promise you the electric brakes on the 550 teardrop kept our car from plowing into the wreckage. Miraculously, the other two vehicles spun across another lane of high speed traffic and onto the grass without being hit. It happened so fast!
    God was with us and everyone else that day. I am very thankful.
    Because of safety, the decision of whether or not to pay the extra $900+ for the electric brakes is a no brainer. We were on a flat interstate road, and we are both careful drivers. I realize people need to make choices about options that fit their budgets and utility, but the electric brake option is one you shouldn't forgo if you don't have to.

We did get the furnace, and I love it! Warming the foot area is not an issue. The cabin is small enough that it heats up rather quickly. No cold feet! You do need to be cognizant of your pillows blocking the heat vent, but standard size pillows leave plenty of room in between for the warm air to blow. We have queen size pillows with no problems. Situated as such, the heat does not blow directly on your head. We've been able to camp in icy conditions (that's another story) that we would not have been able to otherwise. Anyhoo, that's a plus or minus decision you'll have to wrestle with.

Happy decision making!
    Debbie

Ben likes this.
  11. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

We did get electric brakes, because Idaho is a mountainous state. They aren't required by law (provided that Camp Inn modifies the load capacity on the VIN plate). But the likelihood that your car brakes and the trailer brakes would both be worn too thin at the same time is very remote. Coming down a steep hill with worn car brakes and no trailer brakes is a different issue. You could probably get by with downshifting and going very slow, but that assumes that you'll be aware that a problem is developing before it gets out of hand. And we came down one exceptionally steep road into the Mohawk Valley in New York that with even having both sets of brakes in good repair was a bit dicey. If you aren't likely to know when your car brakes are getting worn until it is a little too late, or if you want the ability to go anywhere with your camper, electric brakes are probably a good investment. But like nearly all the options, you could live without them.

Regarding foregoing the sink & water, I would suggest digging a bit through the forum. Some folks that have gone that route REALLY appreciate those conveniences when circumstances force them to return to civilization. And has been said over and over, there is next to no space gained by going that route. With that, I'll shut up on the subject. As Jenn says, there are no wrong answers. And I'll add, ...because the questions are never the same.

Ben likes this.
  12. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

I think you will find that the choice of options is deeply personal, and people tend to like a broad range of options. My thoughts follow, but others will differ:

1. Solar pays for itself within a few weeks. Campsites that are non-electric are about $10 less per night. There are so many more options for nice campspots with solar, and then you don't have to be in a massive RV ghetto with loud generators... Our solar panel was about $200 and Campinn wired it for about $50.

2. We enjoy the mahogany interior.

3. I recommend you get the furnace, even if you are in the south. Different people have differing storage needs. We can't possibly fill up the storage. When going on a long drive, we throw in extra paper towels, TP, and cloth towels just to fill up space. Thus, for us the furnace is not a sacrifice of space and is very nice for comfort. We don't have any problems keeping our feet warm, and the LP lasts for much longer than one would expect.

4. The electric brakes are safer as described by another poster, and give you more flexibility with a tow vehicle. No downside.

5. We don't miss the AC, but it seems important to many people. Our fantastic fan is great with the screen doors.

6. The 3 inches in extra height make the cooking height more comfortable. Cary said that almost everyone orders it. I can't think of a downside.

7. I don't miss the refrigerator, and like you, I find simplicity to be of great value. We think the Yeti is fantastic. Without the refrigerator, you don't need the shore power.

8. I haven't missed a parking brake either. I might consider it if my garage or driveway was slanted significantly. I don't think you would need it on an ongoing basis for camping, but if you are storing it in a tight garage space it might be handy (for pushing it around by hand and steadying it on a slanted driveway.) Another person who might like a parking brake is someone who might do a lot of camping alone. If you are manuevering the unit alone and there is a slant, the parking brake might be helpful.

Hoping this is helpful.

Randy likes this.
  13. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

In reply to lorieandkeith, just as a counterpoint to a couple of your/their thoughts, not to be critical:

5. Where were you this summer? We broke down and bought a fan after suffering through the heat and humidity in the midwest (best $40 we ever spent, but we couldn't conceive why anyone would want a fan if camping out west). It helped, but I wouldn't still be married if I didn't have AC (or worse, we wouldn't still be on the road). But when the heat/humidity isn't excessive, I agree that the screen doors and fan are the way to go (turning on the AC for a while can extend that range where that is comfortable). But keep in mind, we lived in an arid climate for quite a while, so the humidity had a major impact on us. I guess if you've gotten used to it (hard for me/us to imagine), it probably isn't much of an issue. In the past, when we would pick and choose when and where to travel (mainly off season, when the kiddies are in school), we probably could have gotten by without AC. But it gives us the flexibility to be in places that common sense would dictate you wouldn't want to be at certain times of year (common sense is sometimes over-rated).

6. The optimal galley height will vary based upon the owner's height. For couples with a good height disparity, you will need to figure out whose input is more important on this issue (guys: listen to her - if she isn't happy you won't be happy). Taller isn't necessarily better. But it sure works for us.

7. The refrigerator is a tough call. We've saved enough on ice that it paid for itself long ago (as compared to feeding the Coleman steel belt). And the Yeti wasn't in stores when we bought ours. If we had one we might be thinking differently. But that $5 bag of ice we bought in Glamis, Ca could change that equation pretty quickly. We've paid as little as 80 cents for ten pounds of ice, as much as $5 (I suspect we'd pay less than 50 cents in Mexico if we were brave enough to buy some). The average nationwide (outside of southern California) seem to be around $2 - $2.50. How much you save/spend depends a LOT upon where and when you travel.

Lots of additional good food for thought!

14. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

We have an older CI - when it gets cold - I think it would have been nice to have the furnace for the quick heat- don't need shore power to run the furnace - our little heater takes SP and doesn't heat the cabin up all that fast - but we are in Northern MI where nights have cold since late August at times

15. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

When it is cold enough to start thinking about firing up the little ceramic heater, it can just about too cold for it to fully warm the cabin, especially the footwell. A heated mattress pad is a better primary source of heat, and you can warm that up on generator power before turning in, then shut off the generator. In most cases you will remain comfortable until dawn (remembering that these campers are designed for three season use). But there are a couple of times that it has been cold enough that we used both heat sources for a short period of time. The mattress pad keeps your body warm, and the ceramic heater takes the chill out of the cabin air.

Propane can make sense in many situations. For a short time we tried using a propane infrared heater to stay warm outside at night, in order to extend the time we spend outside without starting a campfire. It would burn through a 1 pound propane canister in an evening, so we came to the conclusion it is better to go with a campfire (when that is an option). I suspect the onboard heater is a lot more efficient, since it is heating a very small space. And in an instance where you aren't carrying onboard water, the space that the heater eliminates in the pass thru wouldn't be an issue, since you probably wouldn't be carrying a water hose.

16. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

re the AC: We have not wished we had it, yet, but all of our nights have been in the arid west. It's cool at night even when it's 95 during the day. If you planned to spend time IN your teardrop during daylight hours, then I would have needed it while in Utah this summer. But we spend zero hours inside when not sleeping, and the sleeping hours are always just fine out west.

Too, I have not wished I had the heater. We have not yet had a night where we couldn't warm the camper up very quikcly with two bodies under the covers. Sleeping solo might be tougher, of course.

I don't know how important those items are to resale value.

SUV height - Get the taller height.

TV: I would not install one. The portable approach is better, though you do need to manage this as many campgrounds have no wifi (and even no cell signal).

Electric brakes: mandatory, from my perspective. Too many mountains in the west for me to go without brakes on the TD.

Electric fridge: You can start without one and then buy one later, if you find that you can't manage to keep things dry in your cooler. We like having the fridge, but it does constantly cause us battery anxiety. It's our biggest source of anxiety when camping. Maybe our only source of anxiety. I also may have mismanaged my battery, so it isn't holding a charge as well as it used to (and it doesn't take the charge from our TV very well, so I have to look into that, as this could be an issue with the TV.) We supplement with solar power, with a Zamp panel: a 120, I think. http://www.zampsolar.com/rv-solar-kits/portable-rv-solar/

We don't have the parking brake, but it seems like a good idea.

Evan and Randy like this.
  17. Jan

Jan Newbie

Here are several accessories I recommend and why:
    • Accessibility Upgrade - helps to grab something to get out
    • Battery isolator - so you do not have to install one in other vehicles
    • Table extension - provides a nice amount of extra space when working around the galley
    • Rain sensing fan - so you do not have to wake up wet to shut the cover
    • Heater if you camp in cold weather - mine did not work due to a dead battery and two of us froze
    • AC if you camp in humid areas and are not acclimated to humidity
    • Off road package - larger wheels/tires, higher off ground
    • Stainless bumper - so no one runs into your trailer body!
    • Solar hookup - how to recharge if not driving and are off grid
    • Screen doors - lots of ventilation w/o bugs
    • Alcan cover - save you trailer skin in front
    • Electric brakes - some states restrict tow weight w/o them
    • Other items depending on personal preferences
    Be sure to order any items with the trailer that must be installed as the trailer is built. Apparently there is no retro-fit on several items.

18. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Save yourself the trouble and just get them all and add a few of your own...it's too much fun! R

RollingRob likes this.
  19. These are great suggestions. Seriously, it would be more effective for you to list the options you should NOT get. Then we can comment on the merits of leaving them out.

For example: Karen and I did not get the Accessibility upgrade because, "hey, we move around just fine." However, we have the side tent, and when the person farthest from the tent needs to get to it, the accessibility bars would be a big help for changing positions. I just never imagined that scenario.

Outside of the accessibility upgrade, I believe we have all the major functional features: SUV, TV, A/C, Heater, Solar Connect, Electric Brakes, Rain Sensing Fan. Our Honda Ridgeline towing package isolates the battery when the engine is not running.

20. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I would echo the thought that more options are better than too few. Your life changes as you age, and what isn't important at one point in your life becomes more important later in life (or more important to your spouse, upon whose happiness you depend). But it is also worthwhile to be somewhat selective in what options you choose not to add. There are plenty of good pros and cons for which way to go - just think hard about what is most important to how you plan to use your camper now, and try to imagine how that might change in the future.