CA National Forest Wheeler Gorge Campground Near Ojai

Discussion in 'West' started by ssackett, Aug 30, 2019.

1. ssackett

ssackett Novice

We've done two trips here so I owe a review.

3 nights: August 15 - 18, 2019
    Miles: 220
    Total Miles: 660

Wheeler Gorge is a developed Forest Service camp at 2,000 and about 8 miles from the town of Ojai, California. It's surprisingly "wild" feeling so close to town. The North Fork of the Matilija rivers runs through the campground and some sites have nice access for wading.

First trip we stayed on the East side of the river. Not sure of the number. This time we had site #62 which was on it's own pull-through drive. Some of the site and fire area a bit rocky but very private. Site was probably nicer before the CA droughts. A big sycamore overhanging the picnic table had died back and the oaks nearby seemed to be struggling. The drive where TD had to go was a bit too sunny in morning, but shaded by 11ish. Couldn't position the TD as near the fire pit and rest of the site as I'd like ideally. There was a narrow and bit steep path down to the river, but once there we had a private little beach with room for two chairs and a cooler.

The next loop has two sites #62 and #63 together. While more open and less private, this area is shaded by giant oaks and has easy access to the river. The site are huge so you could position the TD a little closer to the action, or not. Lots of room for extra tents, etc. I'd probably select #62 next time.

Other site that looks great is #46. Is at top of loop and further from river. Shaded by a big oak and private.

And #40 would not work for a TD trip, but nice! There's a parking pad for 1-2 cars. The site itself is behind two huge boulders (15 -2o feet tall size) with what looks like a big private site with room for couple of tents/shades and a view of the river.

Ojai is a small town, worth an afternoon or more to explore. Tiny mission with small garden. The Ojai Valley Museum had an exhibition of works by Ojai Studio Artists. We really enjoyed and would like to go back in October for their yearly open studio tour, but will have to wait till 2020.

We have yet to go to the Ojai Valley Inn which is one of big draws. With better planning would like to clean ourselves up and have dinner at Olivella, their award winning restaurant, or an event or class at the Farmhouse, their new culinary event space run by Nancy Silverton.

Ventura is only about 15 - 20 minutes away. Not the best CA beach town but nice pier to walk. Had excellent fish tacos and local craft beer at stand at end of pier.

Best find was IDEAL SEAFOOD, a drive-through selling fresh seafood, salads, smoked fish. And did I say a cute little drive-through! Dinner of local seabass and farmers market squash was the best thing we ate all weekend.

On the way out stopped at Coffee Connection in Meiners Oaks which is closer to campground. A local hangout, we met one of the artists from the day before, and had a long talk about local architecture. Excellent coffee and freshly made cinnamon rolls. LA and NY Times there to be shared. My Sunday was on track!

Attached Files:

dustinp and Gypsy like this.