Wheel Lock Recommendation

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Bob and Terri, Aug 1, 2018.

1. M&L

M&L Ranger

It's worth adding that, in addition to the coupler and wheel locks, we have the battery SPOT GPS tracker (added as an accessory through Camp-Inn when we bought our 560) and we never park our trailer in sketchy areas, especially when detached. We do try to keep it attached to the truck as much as possible. We feel pretty secure with the above combination, and anything that happens after all of this can be covered by insurance.

2. campdude

campdude Ranger

The tracker is a good idea if you can get it quick enough. Also keeping it on the vehicle is a always a good idea.

3. M&L

M&L Ranger

As a side note, I went with the battery version of the SPOT GPS tracker (instead of the wired version) so that I could easily remove it and also use it on my motorcycle. If someone has other potential uses for a GPS tracker for other vehicles besides their Camp-Inn, the battery option is worth considering. And you do get a low battery messages via email.

dustinp likes this.
  4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The wired version is very easy to remove....there is just a thumb-screw that holds a USB power cord in place.

Note: For operational security, I am intentionally not mentioning its location, or what you need to do to remove it beyond the connection method. It is well hidden...

5. campdude

campdude Ranger

Hmmm...note to self! "look for thumb screw" at 2:00am when commandeering Sweeney's trailer;)

6. After calculating the amount we now have invested in the trailer in CDN dollars, and its current replacement value, I decided that a few security upgrades were in order. These are for when it is both stationary in camp and when hooked to the TV.

I took the advice of several in this particular post and got the Trimax TCL65. Feels great in the hands, and stands out visually. It gets about as much of an endorsement as the Lockpicking Lawyer ever gives out for these types of security devices: However, it does require the addition of lug/wheel locks, as it is not a "boot" and the wheel can be simply swapped out if not further secured. I also have alloy wheels: Alloy wheels? Rusted chrome wheels? so there is extra incentive for me to keep them attached to the trailer. I use a mixed combination of McGard and Gorilla security nuts, just to keep it interesting for a potential thief. The Trimax set at the narrowest position still clamps down well enough with our 14" tires.

As a direct competitor to the Proven Industries hitch lock (which is endorsed by several above), I went with an Amplock: BRP2 - AMPLock as it was $50 cheaper. I can testify to its extremely robust build, ease of use and intimidating appearance. It also gets a qualified "thumbs up" from the Lawyer: . It's virtually uncuttable and unpriable, and successfully picking it while laying on the ground looking upward, would be no easy feat. However, using the key with the lock in that orientation is a breeze.

Not be satisfied with just those pieces, and to keep the trailer securely attached to the TV, while in a parking lot overnight at a hotel, or at breakfast stop, for example I've opted for this hidden shackle hitch lock: Hidden-Shackle Trailer Coupler Lock - PACLOCK The Lawyer spent a lot of time going through the strengths and weaknesses of the prototype, many of which were later implemented by Paclock in its latest iteration: This type of design resists bolt cutters... something to which the padlocks that I had been previously using are very susceptible.

The Packlock wouldn't be useful if the drawbar wasn't secured to the hitch: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00J0ABS5M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. Again, the Lawyer gives this particular one a qualified thumbs up: Its design resists prying, which would be the MO employed by the majority of unskilled thieves in this area of vulnerability.

Hint: The Lawyer's website is a deep rabbit hole for viewing and there's nothing he can't pick within seconds, or at most a couple minutes. Kinda depressing. But most thieves aren't him. Even the ones who can identify what a Teardrop is, looks like, or its value.