Wheel Lock Recommendation

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Bob and Terri, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Bob and Terri

Bob and Terri Newbie

Wheel locks? We see a lot of pictures of these campers with locks on the wheels at camp sites. Would this be something needed and which brand and model works well with the CampInn wheels? Trying to get together the essentials for when we pick up our camper.

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

3. My Wheel Lock is a Trimax and I got it at Cabela's. I also use a Reese hitch lock to make it a little more difficult for someone to steal the camper. I had it first and then added the wheel lock, so since I had it already I have kept using it. When we are at home, I also add a nosy 80 year old next door neighbor to the security features that prevent theft. Nobody gets in my back yard with her on the job. (She actually a nice lady).

LisaNKevin, mariusz and jfocallag like this.
  4. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

It's a tough question to answer how much security is "needed". Most of us put locks on the hitch latch. I also bought a lock to fit in the hitch itself along with a wheel lock. A determined thief could thwart all off these efforts but these will certainly slow him down. There are also gps tracking devices if you want to go to the next level. I bought insurance through Progressive (around $275/year) which would cover loss through theft or accidents.

In terms of things not to buy - wheel chocks is one thing I thought I needed but the ones supplied by Camp Inn are better than what I bought.

5. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Anything that is visible and hopefully they will change their mind, but determinated thief would steal it no matter what device or equipment you have:mad:

6. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

We use the Trimax also. I like that it is multi functional as a chock and a lock.

7. Bob and Terri

Bob and Terri Newbie

Got one to use. Perhaps the sight of it will discourage the "casual " thief.

Thanks for the insight.

8. Tear Stream

Tear Stream Newbie

9. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Maybe I'm missing something on build quality, or some other inherent weakness in design, but wouldn't something that covered the lugs, so that even a determined thief who brought along spare wheels and tires would tend to be thwarted by something like this: Amazon.com: Oanon Wheel Lock Clamp Boot Tire Claw Auto Car Truck ATV, RV, Boat Trailers Heavy Duty Secure (Size 2): Automotive

I don't currently have any type of wheel locks, but do have the hitch lock, however that wouldn't prevent if from being hauled away on a flatbed, but one or two of these would make even that significantly more difficult to do, but again, nothing will stop the very determined thief, only those thieves looking for easy prey, which I think matches the description of most thieves......too lazy to really work for what they want.

10. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

It's not really a question of laziness (most thieves work the hustle very hard on a regular basis) as much as speed to get the job done as quickly and quietly as possible. Something that requires work is not worth the effort, when there is something else that is more easily accessed.

Would the wheel lock you show work with the baby moon caps?

11. dustinp

Good question. Since I don't have one, I don't know for sure, but it looks like it has a bolt and nut in the middle of the hub cover that could damage the baby moon if not padded, but since it probably won't be moved with the clamp on, I think a rubber/silicone protective nipple might work well.

12. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

The kind that cover the hub do not work on a Camp-Inn, a wheel lock would have to be the claw type.

Cary

13. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I use a combination of the Trimax for the wheel and the Proven Industries for the hitch.

Freight Dog and Kevin like this.
  14. dustinp

Thanks for the clarification Cary!

15. If, as I do, you have chosen to just go with just a coupler lock (owing to some of the difficulties alluded to above of completely securing the wheels) this is just a reminder to lock your safety chains together to the point where they can't be used to haul the trailer away. Target-hardening. Though it is difficult to get a thief to turn his attention away from a nice shiny bauble like a CampInn and toward what is in the next site or driveway.

Gypsy likes this.
  16. Busy B

Busy B Newbie

Jay nailed it. We have the same routine. If these two deterrents don't work, we are insured . . .

Kevin likes this.
  17. Freight Dog

Freight Dog Novice

Which model of Proven Industries lock works for the Camp Inn 560 Ultra?

18. M&L

M&L Ranger

I use the following:
    1.) Trimax TCL65 Wheel Chock Lock
    2.) Proven Industries Coupler Lock - Model 2178 (I also added the stainless steel puck upgrade)

Freight Dog likes this.
  19. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I ended up buying the Fort Knox lock. Same concept, less money.

Fort Knox Hitch Lock?

20. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

I have a brand new never opened Trimax Wheel Chock Lock and I am afraid to put it on my wheel. The first one came with the trailer and was hard to open so I bought a new one. After a few years the second did not open and I called the company for recommendations on how to get it off my wheel and they recommended drilling the lock. At least it was in my drive way so I had tools. Trimax told me to fill out a warranty claim so I did and they sent me a new one. If I needed to drill out the lock while camping I would have been in trouble so I never opened the new one. I do use the proven industries coupler lock. I may look for another wheel lock sometime but I do not feel comfortable with the Trimax.