Fort Knox Hitch Lock?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by JohnC, Jan 17, 2021.

1. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Does anybody have any experience with the Fort Knox hitch lock? It's very similar to the Proven Industries lock but about $100 less. It also will store the chains like the PI does. I fully understand the old adage that if a thief wants it he'll get it. I think either would be excellent for the job. I just thought I would ask if anyone has tried the Fort Knox. They are definitely the new kid on the block.

Curt and other similar couplers

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    dustinp and Ken & Peggy like this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Are you looking for storing or camping? I’d store in a garage. Long term, it’s your best bet. If you’re looking for camping. If you are in parks or resorts you’ll be fine with it.

The reality is locks only stop honest people....and most campground people are good and honest. At least that’s my experience. The only trouble I’ve ever had is in storage. Granted my current rig is a 38 ft class A....that I regret buying constantly except when I need a bathroom.

3. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I’ll always be storing it in my garage.

I was interested in whether anybody had used the Fort Knox.

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I understand. One of my interests is locks. If you want to get jaded on locks, watch "The Lockpicking Lawyer" on youtube. I sadly don't think there is a 'good' lock out there. Its mostly about "feel good" or intimidating the would be bad guy to think that something is "out of his league" - you won't stop a determiend man....but theives tend to be opportunist, looking for the easy buck.

The Ft Knox lock looks impressive --- maybe that is the more important factor. Its the puck-lock itself I'm curious about. If it is aluminum or other soft metal, its about a 60 second job to defeat the lock. If it is stainless steel, or adequately hardened, the lock itself would likely cost $100.

Of most of his locks this is the one he likes...but...its crazy expensive plus to get the secuity you've got to upgrade the puck lock....its all in the video

5. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

The Fort Knox does use the high end steel puck. I think the puck they use might be a tad better than the Proven Industries. But it's probably academic. Either would accomplish the task of chasing of the lazy thief. Neither can be pried off in 30 seconds like most of the cheaper locks. The Fort Knox is less expensive than the PI and that's why I would probably go with it.

I have no statistics to back this up, but I'm of the belief trailers are stolen far more often from home environments (and most often when not enclosed) rather than campsites. I just want to make sure mine gets passed over when out camping, as I tend to spend more time away from the campsite than others. :)