What is your philosophy of when/if to pitch tarps?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by rickdernberger, Sep 15, 2012.

1. djkline

djkline Novice

I'm there with you on the over-contemplating what to include in my 550. My plan is to keep the bed clear and only put stuff in the cabin that will be used in the cabin. Side tent, sun shade, camp chairs and the like will go in the pass thru storage and/or TV, I am not getting the furnace so I should fit most of it in the storage. I typically use two coolers on my trips, since one will now be in the galley I should have more space in my Jeep then I'm used to so that will be nice.

2. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Only one of those items will fit in the front storage area. It's not that big. I have the furnace, but the access hole is the same size and maybe a tent or camp chair will fit. I put the porta potty, grill, antenna and misc. on the kitchen counter during travel. The tents all go in plastic bins that slide in foot well of bed area. So still enough room to fit inside without removing the tents, but not enough to lay down. Keep the cooler in your air conditioned TV. It's silly to store it in the 100 degree galley although this will upset many here who do it (they wonder why their domestic fridge only lasts one season) ;)

3. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

That makes so much sense. It's obvious once you mention it, but it just didn't occur to me until you wrote it. And... I'll get to keep both handles on that Dometic.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Sherry, exactly! I love that fridge, but try to keep its job easy. I probably shouldn't have brought it up in this thread...sorry Evan...off topic

5. djkline

djkline Novice

Good points Matt. I understand the storage isn't that big but neither are my sun shade and chairs. I'm figuring the side tent and it's poles will be too large though. Thanks for the pointer on the cooler, I will have to remember that especially on longer trips into warmer climates.

6. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Make sure that if you do this you put something in the galley in place of the cooler, otherwise the stove will slide back & forth. If you have a side table, that will work but I would put a towel under it, making sure the ends are covered. Don't want the stove hitting it & dinging the trim.

:cool:

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Yep, that's where the grill and potty go. Wow Betsey, you do the road handling tests there at camp inn? Stove sliding out? Geez! I can see it now...cones etc.

8. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

:D :D :D

Matt,

12 years of traveling in a teardrop & you learn a thing or two from experience...sometimes good, sometimes not so good! :eek:

:cool:

9. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  10. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Evan we use a similar tarp from harbor freight and it works great. :)

11. Betsey wrote..."There are some who are now rolling on the floor with laughter at that comment! :D :D :D :D "

I was one of those laughing!!!!
    A minimalist indeed....Betsey carries more than we do I believe but usually in pots & pans. Love her cooking :)

We too, do not place "stuff" on the bed while traveling if it can be helped. Mostly because when you pull into a rest stop to sleep, I don't want to be bothered with having to move it all and then back in and have everyone see you move it.

If it can't fit in the back of the tow vehicle it stays home.

12. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Rick:
    Just to add to the general consensus.

I have (several) 12x12 EZ canopy, easy & quick to put up. I use it at any sign of Rain, unless stronger winds will prevail.. I'll still put it up, WA, known for a little Drizzle now and then and I "Furl the canopy" part until the winds die down. Carry it in the truck, easy and out of the way. Looking to get a 16x16 as in the rain a 12x12 becomes a 10x10.. with half clear side panels, one with a mid entrance zipper.

Bed:
    only put my small duffel bag up on the rack, works perfectly. A little plastic wash tub for shoes at night. Nothing else on bed. Down quilt, need to keep it full. Also, heating pad and of course the heater. Store extra hoses, cords, plugs in the other Heater bin end.

Side Tent:
    Have it, don't use it. Maybe 2-3 times, nice but too much work for what it does. I can walk to the Bathroom or use (being by my self) a Travel John Powder and that works just fine. I do suspect I'll carry it more as I venture out to the other states as a back up. I also have the square shower, a pain to put up but good once it is up.

Canopy:
    put it up as needed. Summer has been mellow, but I don't go out that much in Summer. Camping season is just getting started for me. No BKTs (apparently, after these last 2 weekends of camping the season, Summer, isn't over until Oct...) but that also means cooler and wetter, so pretty much put it up all the time then. Middle of the night is when it starts....heheh when you're Half asleep. It's quick N EZ as they say, just part of the routine.

Jean:
    heheh, thanks for the kind words, will surely make it back to the next one fer'sur... My blenders need to get out once in a while.. and they can use the exercise....

I try to keep it minimal but end up looking like a 3rd world country. I like to bring different things depending upon the outing.. Sometimes the fire-pit, sometimes not.. sometimes the fancy Wine Soiree' stuff, sometimes the beer stuff and or the blenders.. just depends..

Anyway, hope that helps. The Idea for me is to enjoy it. My Truck can hold a lot of options if I"m not bringing dive gear...

Last weekend camping in "Smokey Lake Chelan WA", I didn't bring anything (I do always pack the canopy)
    Just chairs and BBQ, that's it and it worked out fine... just depends..

Fun...heheh

13. Jerry & Tina: If you are actually towing with a Jeep Wrangler as your photo suggests, then it is all the more impressive when you indicate that you also have a "Clean Bed Policy." (I kind of like that phrase - I think I'm going to coin that one!) I know that Wranglers have limited cargo space!

fpoole: Thank you for your very detailed explanation and break down of how you organize things. I appreciate your perspective (as well as others) that basically it depends on the trip, the weather, and to a certain extent, your temperament.

Evan: If you saw my garage, you would sadly shake your head about my being able to implement the dedicated shelf in the garage concept. But I like it. I guess I have approximately 5 1/2 months to get the garage ship shape!

Jenn: Like you, I am beginning to think my preference also would be to put shelter up only when needed, (for your reasons 1,2, and 3.) I am graduating from a pop-up camper and and am looking for as many ways as possible to avoid the 1.5 hour time frame to break camp.

14. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

The 'clean bed policy' is some sort of minimalist zen state. I wish it was Easy to reach this state. Keeping all you gear on the bed does have some benefits. When you are ready to go, just hitch the camper, throw fridge and clothes in TV and go. Otherwise you have schlepping before you go, versus when you arrive. I must meditate on the benefits of both before committing to the 'clean bed policy'

15. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

If I am going to a campground where I am going to be staying multiple nights, I store the gear in the camper.

If I am traveling somewhere and only staying one night, most of the gear goes in the back of the car. Only thing that goes in the camper, is my gear bag that I use to hookup. If I was staying overnight somewhere with no hookups, everything would go in the back of the camper.

16. Rick, you are so correct about the cargo space in the jeep. You can see it if you are at CI/CO...as we are planning to bring the jeep up. The back seat is out and Jerry has built a shelf in the back so the extra cooler sits up. One has to be creative when packing.