What is your philosophy of when/if to pitch tarps?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by rickdernberger, Sep 15, 2012.

1. I've seen much discussion about what kinds of shelters, tents, tarps people use. But I haven't seen much discussion about when and IF to use them.

Here is my own internal debate that I've been having:

Rick2: Well yes - but if its really hot, or cold, or rainy, or threatening to rain, or if you want to stand up to change clothes, or if you want to pee, or if the date of the month is a prime number, you will want a side tent or two and a shelter over the galley hatch. In some cases you will want to hang walls on the shelter to really enclose things.

Rick1: Whaaaaat??? But that will take as much or more time as popping up my existing camper.

Rick2: Yeah, well, that's just the way it is.

------------------- [curtain closes on the window that is my personal psychosis]----------------------------

I totally understand that this is a completely personal decision that each TearDropper makes and that there are pros and cons to being under-sheltered or over-sheltered for a given situation.

But - since I have yet to formulate what my own philosophy will be on this matter --I'm curious as to what some of your own un-written rules may be about when to "Tarp Up" and when not to? Do any of you ALWAYS put up shelters? Does anyone prefer not to unless absolutely necessary?

2. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

If it's just an overnight or a weekend with great weather, we don't put up anything, even the side tent. When at the IRG, we didn't use our EZ-Up for the 5 days we were there, as the redwoods provided the shade. :)

If we are going to be in full sun for the weekend, or there's a forecast for rain, then we use the EZ-Up & usually the side tent. At TBTR this year, we only used the REI Alcove, mainly to keep out wind (used one side wall).

But, you are right, everyone will have a different opinion based on what they want/need/like.

:cool:

3. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Do we put up side tent: if restroom is far (my walking is limited) yes. Do we put up Northern Breeze: if buggy or heavy or long rain forecast yes. Most often just carry side tent and NB for if needed.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Unless its just to sleep for the night and keep driving, then at least one tent type structure. If its a busy campground with lots of looky loos, park the 560 inside northern breeze. If I am solo, a side tent and just basic coleman dining fly. If its winter, both side tents with electric heaters in them. If I want to build my own Haiti, then both side tents and northern breeze.

5. Matt: Perfect! This is the kind of "decision making flow-chart" I was wondering about with folks. And, yeah, I did see your photos with the two side tents and the Northern Breeze. It does conjure up images of a mobile palace for a Saudi Sheik. Why two side tents? Does each one have its own function, or is it so that you and your traveling partner can each have a comfortable egress?

Pat W: It sounds like by carrying both the side tent and Northern Breeze you have all of your options open - but am I reading you correctly that if possible, you prefer to NOT put up any tents? (Nice weather and nearby bathrooms?)

Betsey: I'm not surprised that you had nothing up at the IRG - from your other posts I can sense that you have somewhat of a minimalist approach with your use of the Tear. That's what I love about this community - everyone makes it work to their own needs - I'm just trying to anticipate what my own style will be.

I loved seeing photos of someone, I think, fpoole? who had enough provisions for 3 mobile saloons in his photos! lol

6. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I agree, camping with Fpoole should be a wonderful adventure. Hope he can come to 2014 CICO, since he will be retired.

I try to practice the minimalist approach. Yet, can be pressured into putting up the big blue room at gatherings. But then I also recruit assistance, so the process can be more enjoyable for me.

I sold my side tent, obviously did not like it. (One of the few)

If warm, dry weather, will not put up any cover.
    As for sun shade, my experience, the big blue room and Kelty Sun Shade act like solar collectors, inside space can be just as warm, if not warmer then trying to gain shade.

Northern Breeze aka the big blue room, is excellant in wind, rain, hail, snow, sleet!

I have not found the "perfect" shade tent yet.

Jean

7. Deb

Deb Novice

Rick,

We put up an EZ up every time--doesn't take long at all. We also use the side tent most of the time. We also have one of those instant up shower tents. We don't use it for a shower, but for a quick change or the loo. This is nice to have when you don't want to use the side tent, but just want something. It's a snap to fold up and stash under the mattress in the storage area.

8. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Rick yes we prefer not put up either.

9. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Rick, one thing most people will agree on is that you have to learn how to bring less. The more experienced we get , the less we feel compelled to bring everything along. The side tent hasn't been used all year, but we do still use the 10x10 almost everywhere.

10. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

We fall inline with most other folks.

The weather is a big factor. If I am traveling alone with my son, I bring the REI Alcove with me. It has done well for me in heavy rain and strong winds. The wind walls have kept me dry while work in the galley. I did notice water pooling, so I have taken a lesson from a few others who have bought bungy cords to act as rafters and hold the fabric up. I also use this one for shade.

If my husband is along, and weather is awful, we bring the Northern Breeze. I can't figure out how to put it up alone. It is good for the 3 of us because it gives a little extra room for us to eat together and more space to hang up jackets to dry. Plus, we can put most of the trailer under the tent and this allows us to have the vent on top of the trailer open as much as we want with no rain coming in. We can also go in and out of the trailer and stay dry.

If I can get away with not putting a tent up, that is what I prefer. On my redwoods trip, I seldom put up a tent (as Betsey said, the Redwoods do a great job of shading you, and it was dry).

We have the side tent, and I have put it up only one time. It was at our NW Round Up, and it was because Jenn was showing me how to do it, so I would have that skill in my toolbox for my Redwoods trip. I haven't found a use for it yet, but have it for when I do need it. I am fine changing laying down, but if there are a lot of mozzies, it gives us a space to get rid of them before we get in the trailer. We just haven't had that yet. That was one condition I thought would warrant the side tent. At the time I bought it, I wasn't sure how I would be camping either. You figure things out as you do it. You will work out the best way for you to camp...it is an evolution for sure.

So, I guess, the philosophy has to do with how you camp and what your preferences are. When I am camping, I am trying to be in the outdoors as much as possible. We are inside for 9 months straight (sometimes longer), so I like to get out of the tents as much as I can and enjoy the sounds and smells of nature.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Rick, we do prefer the two side tents in winter. One serves as porta potty shelter. The other for hanging coats, getting dressed etc. In the winter cooking is quickly accomplished and no bugs, leaves etc...so no real need for dining fly, NB, or insta up (which we used once so far and broke...see also other thread). Every one is right about the simplicity. All your tents etc will more than likely be on your bed....the more you bring the more needs to be unloaded til you can relax. Also, more tents require more drying.

12. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Rick I agree with Matt's point about things on the bed. What kind of tv you have makes a difference. We have a van so the NB pole bag and fabric bag go in the trunk. The poles for the side tent are too long to fit side ways in the trunk so they go at the foot of the bed but the fabric bag goes in the trunk of tv. The side tent poles actually fit easily along side the mattress but we added the PVC structure for the bottom which fits in the same bag but makes it too bulky for putting along side mattress. So on the bed we try to just have our chairs and the dog travel crate.

13. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Rick,

There are some who are now rolling on the floor with laughter at that comment! :D :D :D :D

When you see my kitchen at the CICO, you may change your mind! But I am one who cooks a lot & I have actually pared down what I use in the tear. But I DO use it.

We generally don't travel with anything on the bed...it all goes in the back of the car, including the EZ-Up. The last thing we want to do is haul stuff out of the teardrop when we get to camp. This way, at camp, we can take only what we need to use out of the car, making set up time even faster. Plus, it is handy if we stop along the way for a rest or arrive at camp late...nothing to do but hop in the teardrop to sleep!

The times we have carried stuff on the bed have been when we had to bring a lot of extra stuff along for a gathering like the CICO, ITG or Crossroads, because of our involvement.

Also, unlike many, we do not take our dog with us when we travel, nor do we have kids who need extra stuff (been there, done that ;) ). That frees up a lot of room for us.

14. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Rick we set up our 10x10 EZ Up every time we camp. :)

15. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Rick,
    It depends on the camping trip you have planned. We just got back from a weekend of camping in Wisconsin, with no rain in the forecast as of the morning we left. We opted to leave the shade tent home, but we took the screen tent in case there were bugs. (We always have the side tent packed in the trailer.) There were very few bugs, so we didn't deploy the screen tent, and we decided to not use the side tent either, as the sites were nice and large and afforded plenty of privacy.
    If we go on a longer trip, we usually take all the tents/shelters, since weather can't be predicted accurately much past 5 days imo.
    Whether we set them up or not depends mainly on the weather forecast, but the individual site we get plays a role - full shade/full sun/privacy/etc. Since none of them take long to put in place, if the weather looks menacing, we can just set up what we need when we need it.

16. Matt: I do hope to do some winter camping. I like the thought of the two side tents to provide some additional living space.

Pat W / Matt / Betsey - Ahhh! I hadn't thought too much about the whole business of loading things on the bed and then having to take them out upon arrival! This inspires me to try and see if I can manage to organize my Raindrop with a bed all ready to hop in upon arrival.

Betsey - Well, you should get special dispensation for cooking gear. So many of your other posts have talked about the lack of AC and furnace (I think), no TV, etc - it just sounded like you were one to not have a whole bunch of extra camping equipment.

17. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

I've thought about the 'keep the bed clear' packing (probably way too much, considering I don't have my teardrop yet--scheduled for the spring). To me, that would mean things like... the side tent, the folding chairs, an awning. I know that likely most of that stuff would then simply go in the tow vehicle. But then I wonder "what about that pass through external storage on the 550 ultra? what gets put there? the chair? or fire starter stuff for the campfire and fire tools? or both?".

I know that packing decision is all individual based decisions. But that's the kind of weird things I think about now that I've ordered one.

18. Sherry - Don't apologize for "way too much" thinking as a fellow Customer In Waiting! Since we don't actually have our Tears to take camping, all that we have left is our slightly dysfunctional obsessions with imagining every possible Tear Drop scenario and how we should plan for it! :)

I do know that if you get the built in furnace, there is very little space left in the external pass-thru compartment.

I think I have decided that I am going to try very hard to minimize what I bring to the point where I do not use the bed to hold things when travelling, and that my tow vehicle is not bursting at the seams either.

Another thing I wonder about - what I will do with things that travel in the tow vehicle when I'm home? Keep them in the tear on the bed, but then transfer them to the tow vehicle as I hook up? Judicious use of check lists? I'd hate to forget something important because it was in a random corner of my basement. Furthermore, I really am hoping that my tear can be "ready to go" upon a moment's notice.

19. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Well, our lack of the "other" amenities (AC, furnace, vent/fan, TV) are because they weren't an option when ours was built...remember, we have the first production model. But don't misread that, I love our teardrop!

20. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

This summer, it all stayed in the car for most of the time, as we camped nearly every other weekend. When we aren't camping for any longer period of time, it gets transferred to the teardrop. From December - March (when it is in storage) everything is left in it for next season.