What Is Your Best Tip For A Long Trip?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Andrew Cushingham, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Hello Camp-inn community,

Our family of 5 is planning a 30 day trip out west and back from Tennessee. Highlights to include Yellowstone, a family wedding in Idaho, a family reunion in Hood River Oregon, Moab Utah, the Southern Colorado mtns, a few state high points, and a few stops with friends along the way.

We will have a mix of about half days on the move and half staying put.

So far we have made many weekend and a handful of week long trips.

What are your best tips and insights for a successful long trip?

To give you some extra insight, our girls are 15 and 14 and son 9.

We love the family together time of trips but, we figured on a long trip, having an option of your own space to go to would work well for balance between together time and personal time.

So we added a new tow vehicle that will give each kid their own generously sized sleeping area. We picked up a Ford Transit camper van that seats 5 and has 2 sleeping areas, a pop-top, rear storage for our 5 bikes, and a 100W Solar setup with 200ah lithium batteries. No need for a kitchen since the 560 takes care of that.

We will have a Coleman cooler in the 560 and a Dometic fridge in the TV.

So let’s hear your best insights! Laundry, showers, activities, rainy days, long road days, gear, journals, daily rhythms, etc.

Looking forward to making more memories while the kids are still kids.

Christine Brandt and dustinp like this.
  2. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I always make sure I get gas just before pulling into the campground if I am leaving first thing in the morning. If I'm staying longer and the car gets unhitched then I'll just get gas the night before leaving.

When I brought my trailer home form Wisconsin I spent 3 weeks getting home and made many stops. As much as I loved the journey, I never spent more than 2 nites in one spot. That got pretty old pretty quick. I personally would rather stay somewhere for a while. I did spend 5 nites in one location and had a great time touristing around in my car the days I was there.

Chuckwagon and Andrew Cushingham like this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Rule #1:
    If you enjoy and adult beverage, set up camp BEFORE you have a drink ;)

Rule #2:
    I have found that the best trips are ones you don't rush. Slow down, and take your time. Visit roadside tourist traps, pull over at scenic overviews. Don't suffer from "Getthereitis" - I used to do a 20 hour nonstop drive just trying to get there.. When we did arrive, I was cranky and exhausted. I would sleep the next day and still not have caught up. Slow down you'll arrive at the same time you would have "recovered"

Rule #3:
    We agreed when we bought Serenity that our travel days would be slower. We both insist on breakfast or at least a cup of coffee either at a restaurant or at the camp site ---(we are Keto, so not eating isn't a big deal.) Usually, we are rolling by 9 or 10. Sometimes 8. Flexible...the key. Just don't rush. The only hard rule is that we plan our stop by 5 pm at the latest. This allows setup in light and time for some rest. Sometimes in bad times --- time to "recover" if things went wrong. Keeping this schedule, I can travel for days without being too tired.

Rule #4:
    Have a checklist and use it. I go through it, then my wife double checks me. She has caught things I missed.

Tires properly inflated? Stabilizer Jacks up? Lights work? Propane off? Is the brake safety cable connected? There are probably dozens more items. I mention these because I have forgotten them, in haste, in my travels. Some are not as big of a deal but some items cost money and frustration.

Hope you enjoy your trips as much as I have enjoyed mine.

4. klint74

klint74 Novice Donating Member

As a kid I remember sitting in the back seat of a Rambler station wagon, without air-conditioning traveling hundreds of miles a day, getting to the campsite, setting up a heavy Coleman canvas tent with 17 stakes, 9 poles, with a crabby dad who had driven all day. Many times we would stay a day and continue the journey. As an adult I look back and appreciate the 48 states I visited before age 12, but as a adult I have tried (easier when retired) to adapt the philosophy to Stay Long Enough To Be Still. Enjoy your journey.

Chuckwagon, dustinp and Sweeney like this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Well said. My parents never traveled at all; in fact, they never left 100 miles from their home in 84 years of their lives. The farthest from there is moving near me.

Our trips from South Bend as a kid were no farther than Coloma Michigan (Anyone else remember Deer Forrest? Long gone petting zoo -- probably best for the animals --- it appears to have been horrible looking at documentaryies), Warren Dunes Michigan (beaches). Once to Monticello Indiana for Indiana Beach in monticello indiana --- Even on those laughably short days I remember Dad being tired at the end of a day....He meant well. Those were LONG drives by their standards

I find their limited travel to be amusing....but they've lived a happy 60 years of married life together....so who am I to judge.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  6. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

My summers were spent on Paw Paw Lake at a cottage we rented with another family. On the Watervliet side of the lake. Only went to Deer Forest twice in all my life, and one of those times was taking OUR kids...

7. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Brings back memories, except it was a '53 Chevy Belair, with 4 kids and two adults, and a Ted Williams approved 3 rm canvas tent from Sears, with a similar number of poles and stakes, all the way from east central MN to Montana where my dad grew up, for a family reunion. His 9 siblings spread across the west, from Olympia, Seattle, Astoria, Sea Side, Missoula, Stevensville, Billings, Big Timber, Poplar, & Bismark. Every two years we would make the trek to one of their homes, except for the year we hosted. That only happened once, because it was too far for most to travel ( I once mentioned that it was the same distance from our place to theirs as vs versa, but it wasn't believed). The vehicle morphed to a '62 Impala, and then a '67, and finally a '70 Caprice, before I was out of the house, and driving on my own, or with a sibling, girlfriend, or wife. It still goes on, and this year it was in Bismark, but fell on the same weekend as my 2nd anniversary of my 50th class reunion, which was delayed two years due to the pandemic, so was one of the few I missed. All the original siblings are now gone, but the cousins picked up the ball, and have continued on for almost 70 years now. The second cousins don't seem like they are quite as enthusiastic about continuing the tradition, since very few attend, so it appears the Bi-annual reunions days are numbered, since the first cousins are gradually thinning in surviving numbers now too. The end of an era is at hand, but with many great memories, that will survive at least a little longer.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The place was always sketchy --- but apparently it has a much darker background that most people knew. I'd like to think that when I was there in the 70's it wasn't that bad. They tried to reopen, and turn it into an exotic sanctuary -- but its all gone now.

I know My only memories are very fuzzy -- back in mid-1970's -- before Star Wars and "clackers".

There were few places my parents liked to take us....Deer Forrest and Enchanted Forrest (Porter, Indiana), and warren dunes --- I spent a lot of time in all 3.

Enchanted forest is long gone turning into a Splash Park which failed and is now being redeveloped into an apartment complex :( There are a few photos still exist as well as the TV commercials can be found on youtube. But the resolution of the video is only slightly better than my memories. Last I knew the "Muffler Man" was on US20/SR2 between SOuth bend and Michigan city -- but something tells me it is gone from there too.

The rides themselves live on --- most moved to Little Amerricka in Wisconsin. The only ride I truly, and vividly remember is the Tobaggon which is one of 3 that still run in the world. It always felt more like a "spaceship" ride to me --- because of the straight-up ascent to the 'drop'

The rides are all kiddie rides which I am likely too large to look at. I'd love to visit just for the wash of nostalgia. The Mad Mouse too perhaps. There is a campground which is part of the attraction (or the other way around) but it more than I'd spend, and really more "RV Resort" style. At least there is no general admission fee to the amusmsent park. I'm hoping the next time I drive through the area I can stop, and maybe take some photos without looking like a sicko taking pictures of kids, if they even allow photography.

I think my love of old-school dark rides comes from Enchanted Forrest. It was terrible but it was all I had. But I remember vividly the dark twisting and turning track. I've come to really love the "Bill Tracy" style. I'd love to take a couple weeks and just travel around the east coast visiting the boardwalks and trolly parks where there are precious few of them are still operating. Jacob The Carpetbagger made a loop through them, and it was pure candy for me. I digress...

Kevin S and Ken & Peggy like this.
  9. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Haha! We did make it to the Enchanted Forest a couple times as well, likely before Interstate 94 was completed through Indiana. Fun memories.

Kevin S likes this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Yah, I have some fond ones as well in the area. With elder care impacting my life, I am finding that I am very nostalgic lately...

Its fun to see the rides of the old days -- how any of those were considered safe (or fun!) is a bit of a mystery.

Kevin S likes this.
  11. BobF

BobF Newbie

My advice would be slowww down and don't over schedule, moving every day or two gets to be a real grind. Too much traveling, not enough being anywhere. IMHO, better to have a very leisurely time enjoying 5 places than a mad march to see 10.

12. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

Avoid major cities if possible... Like going through Chicago... better to find a route around them.
    The plain states are just that!! The Black Hills in SD is a nice stop...

Andrew Cushingham and Kevin S like this.
  13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I went through Chicago once....oh dear goodness! The only thing worse is paying the tolls go around it. Avoiding cities is great advice. Especially in places like Chicago and Atlanta, where rush hour starts at about 6:30am and ends at about 6:29am.

That isn't necessarily bad thing -- backroads are where you find the real America.

Kevin S and dustinp like this.
  14. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Living in SoCal, I always have to navigate major traffic out and back on any trip. But at least I do have an excellent knowledge of the roads, lanes to be in, and traffic patterns. I always try planning departures and arrivals at the best times. For years (even before the CI) I would plan Yosemite trips (or anything north) to always leave on Sunday morning. You can easily take I5 thru downtown LA at 70-80mph at 7:00 am, as long as you do it on Sunday morning.

I do find myself going thru Salt Lake City on trips as well. Not as bad as SoCal, but I've learned where to get gas and pit stop before hitting the major traffic in each direction. It's never fun approaching a 9 lane freeway intersection with 4 big signs telling you which lane to be and using references unfamiliar to you. Not fun.

Sweeney and Kevin S like this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Good point about getting gas :) That reminds of a time when I was low and the car engine stopped as I was rolling over the curb-cut stopping short of the gas pump by about 3 feet.

dustinp likes this.
  16. Doug & Angela

Doug & Angela Novice

Andrew, when you finish your 30 day trip, I would be interested in your lessons learned for long trips. Our RTT takes a while to set up and tear down, and worked over the past 5 years for us, but thinking of switching to your style of RTT to make it easier to set up, making a longer trip with more setting up and tearing down more bearable.

Kevin S likes this.