Weight Distribution hitch w/Unibody tow vehicle

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Ken & Peggy, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

On a Honda Passport forum I'm on there's a discussion about whether weight distribution hitches should be used on unibody vehicles. I've always heard 'No' because of the potential damage the leverage could cause. But my owners manual says 'be sure to follow the trailer mfg. guidelines for proper installation and setup... blah blah blah '
    I certainly don't need it for the CI, but some on that forum are towing bigger trailers. Any thoughts on these WD hitches with 'frameless' vehicles?

2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

No response yet! I was hoping someone would have some expertise here.

Sweeney and Ken & Peggy like this.
  3. Ken & Peggy

Yeah I hear ya. Me too. Since I'm not going to be towing anything more than the CI for now I'm not too concerned. And I haven't found anything definitive one way or the other. Etrailer will sell me one for my vehicle, but that's not 'definitive' in my book...

4. SethB

SethB Ranger

No real expertise but a little experience. We’d purchased a brand new Honda Odyssey as a family minivan when we had young kids, and thank goodness our first camping trip towing our then Coleman pop-up tent trailer was not freeway and wasn’t far, because the rig was so light in the TV front wheels that it felt unsafe in case of any emergency maneuvering.

I don’t think I broke 45mph for the remainder of that trip. The smallest weight distributing hitch fixed us right up. Front wheels on the ground and the rig was solid. Of course it was almost all about tongue weight, as the Ody was rated to tow 3500 LB (like a lot of larger front-wheel-drive unibody in its weight/engine class). Fully loaded the pop-up might have been pushing 2200 LB.

I would not hesitate to go WD if I felt I needed it. Safety trumps all. Must trust the front suspension, it doesn’t work right if it’s too light. Have you seen video of serious trailer sway? It usually ends in jack-knifing if not rollover. Sway is even worse if you don’t have solid steering.

Since then on another TV I installed rear suspension air bags on a Nissan Frontier to better handle the weight of a pickup bed FWC slide-in camper. That improved the handling a lot, but the FWC was still a bit top heavy and I always drove conservatively when it was loaded. A pickup truck is not the best handling. The airbags were great for some suspension tuning to the load, whether in the bed or towing.

All this is to say that any suspension problems *must* be solved. OTOH, I don’t agree with those who would put in a WD hitch system because it must be better, right? Rather, it’s a solution to a particular problem that actually works very well... if your TV/camper has that problem! Owners who aren’t sure should have someone knowledgable drive their rig.

Kevin S and Randy like this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Even e-trailer seems to ride the fence on this one :) I'd stay on the conservative side...of course, that could be to save the vehicle from damage --- OR --- keeping the load on the front wheels where it belongs.

Air Ride lifts helped me a bunch in the past to get a level ride --- my question is what is the tongue weight? A lift will level it, but the stresses on the attachment points remain.

Cars and trucks of modern vintage are not the same as 10 or even 5 years ago. There's no extra meat anywhere. Any more and I'll need a soap box, and that is not my intention.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-241876.html

Found this too on the Subi Ascent

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    Ken & Peggy likes this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

First, that video is one of the best I've seen when teaching about towing stability. So glad you posted it.

Second, I'm not sure what it is but towing in Europe! It's completely different than here. You'll see tiny little VW Gulfs pulling a 'full size' camper similar in size to a T@B, more square shaped. Nicer too I might add.

I have no idea how they do this and maintain stability. Especially on their interstate system (Autobahn) where speeds are routinely faster than here, though not as crazy as most Americans think it is. Other countries in Europe may be different, my time is spent in Germany primarily.

7. Ken & Peggy

In my experience, whether with the Honda Passport or the Tacoma, when we put the bikes on the back of the CampInn we got unacceptable trailer sway. I couldn't put any more into either tow vehicle to increase the tongue weight. So bikes on the trailer aren't an option for us.
    A rear bike rack or cargo rack might be an answer for someone experiencing too much weight on the tongue as an alternative to a WD hitch on a unibody or mods to their suspension.

Kevin S likes this.
  8. Ken & Peggy

Trailsport does have a different suspension than the other trim level Passports. As for the Ridgeline, I'm not sure. It comes equipped with the trans cooler, where on the Passport it's an aftermarket part. The Ridgeline, Pilot, Passport and Odyssey are all the same 'chassis'. Passport is the chopped Pilot.

Kevin S likes this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I know diesel is "more powerful" than gasoline, more torque ... bla bla bla...

I had a Jeep Liberty CDI that was downright fun to drive on the flatlands, except for the turbo lag. However!!! In the hills in Virginia, towing a moderately loaded CI --- 60mph was about all she had in her.

I'm still not sure where the myth of power comes from, at least in this micro engines it just isn't my experience. Perhaps they limit the boost pressures...I'm not sure.

I kind of miss that Jeep though --- not an offroad beast, but snappy and agile are two word I'd use to describe it.

10. Ken & Peggy

Yeah, I think the usefulness of a CI mounted cargo rack, and even the bike rack, is limited. It doesn't seem to take much to cause the sway, at least with the loads we've had.
    Our bikes and rack total about 110#, so I'm sure you'd be over that as your 1UP is just under 50, right?

Kevin S likes this.