Update We Did It!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Build Journals' started by S & K, Nov 22, 2023.

1. S & K

S & K Newbie

Hello!

A month ago, we made the trip to the Camp-Inn factory and used most of Cary’s workday, but we placed the order for a 560.

We had the best time selecting options. As you all know, Cary is wonderful to work with. We did go out on a limb and chose the silver exterior. :D

We are expecting a May delivery and are very excited. We’ve only tent camped and that was some time ago. I (Scott) retired about six months ago and we are chomping at the bit to get started.

We’ve read many of your posts. The love (if not too strong a word) you express for your Camp-Inn makes us even more excited. Nothing is perfect but the Camp-Inn is pretty awesome.

Our order includes the furnace option but we almost didn’t include it. We are thinking we will remove this option and enjoy the storage box more.

Also, current order includes AGM battery with roof solar. We are still wondering if we should just go Lithium and drop the roof solar. As long as the exterior solar connector an be added, a portable panel could be used if ever needed.
    Seems no (less) battery anxiety, better depth of discharge, faster charging via solar or TV would be nice.

We’d be interested in your thoughts on these changes since you’re living it.

Looking forward to being part of the Camp-Inn family.
    Scott & Kelly

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
    Kevin S likes this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

It depends entirely on how you plan on using your camper.

I am in Indianapolis and stop camping when the salt hits the road, so my camping season is late March through early December. I'm just trying to shimmy in what will likely be my last trip this weekend.

I stay mostly at state parks (brown county is best!) where I usually get sites with electricity. Even in the shoulder months, they keep the power on. With a 400-watt heater, I'm perfectly fine. A 1200-watt heater is not necessary unless you're going to be in temps below 20-25. The 400 watts are also pretty small.

If you're going to boondock, then a furnace is a great thing to have. I use my furnace only to warm the air inside, getting ready for bed, and again when I awaken. I do not run it while asleep. Not because of danger but simply because enough blankets and a spouse keep things cozy.

If I have power, I usually just use a heated mattress pad. THAT, my friends --- on a cold night is heavenly.

The way I use mine, if I were doing it again, I would forgo the furnace. For the few trips I use it --- I'd rather have the storage space. But...your milage may vary.

Kevin S likes this.
  3. dougbee

dougbee Novice

I figured for me it's the only camper (550) I'm ever going to own so I have the furnace and lithium. The furnace was nice to have on my last camping weekend in September in central New York.

I wish I had ordered the parking brake. :^\

Chuckwagon and Kevin S like this.
  4. S & K

S & K Newbie

Great input Sweeney
    That sounds like what my camping season will be.
    No salted roads…in fact, I wish I could avoid rain too.

Scott

5. S & K

S & K Newbie

Thanks Dougbee

Do you use/need solar with your lithium setup? Roof mount or portable?

I did add the parking brake to my order. I wasn’t sure I’d need it, then Cary added the fact that the parking brake free play can act as a reminder to adjust the brakes…….I was sold!
    What were the situations you wish you had it?

6. SethB

SethB Ranger

Silver is the best color, well done!

As Sweeney posted everyone’s use is a little different! In the west there are a lot of National Forest campgrounds without electricity to the site. We favor these!

A couple things to add to your calculations:
    A lithium battery will safely deliver 80-90% of its capacity sustainably.
    An AGM battery will safely deliver 50% of its capacity, and can easily be damaged by deeper discharges.
    CI’s CTEK 12v/12v charger can fully charge either battery off the alternator when driving, maybe in less than a half day, depending.
    Refrigerators use the most power. But coolers require ice…

Usually it’s where you usually camp, for how many nights with/without shore power, at what times of year that will help you configure. Some say to get every option so you can choose what to use on a particular trip… which is also good for ease of resale.

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  7. I did not realize you could get another color. Is that new. Too late for me to change. Ours is to far along, likely it will be ready in January. one of the reasons we did the furnace was camping out west. Even in the summer, at elevation, it can get pretty chilly. I am not worried to much about storage we will tow with a Ridgeline and have the space with just the two of us

8. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I believe the only color option is just the frame; not the aluminum sides. Not many people seem to change the color of the frame.

9. dougbee

dougbee Novice

The 550 doesn't have the option of a roof mount. I did get the solar kit for the 550 where one can attach a portable panel to the camper. Haven't done it yet tho.

Just wheeling it around the driving/garage. My driveway is mostly flat but a bit of an incline. My assumption would be that the parking brake would be easier to engage than the chock over my shoulder. :)

10. S & K

S & K Newbie

Didn’t mean to create confusion.
    I was joking as there is only a silver exterior.
    Actually, it’s very classy and would have been my pick anyway.

11. S & K

S & K Newbie

Thanks Seth.
    Just to bring a little reality to my AGM / lithium question, I googled lithium batteries for RVs just so I could stare at the prices a minute or two.
    I knew what they cost but seeing it as though I needed to order a replacement didn’t sit too well.

It would be nice if life’s questions were easy!

12. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

As I’ve always said, the only option you will regret is the one you didn’t get! :)

dougbee likes this.
  13. SethB

SethB Ranger

One more tidbit:
    AGM anticipated service life: 3-5 yrs
    Lithium: 10 years

I myself have run a premium 60ah AGM as a second batt dedicated to cpap use, a so-called “pony” battery.

3 years on the dot and it was cooked. Defect? Rough use (lots of washboard roads this summer)? Deep discharge without noticing? I’ll never know.

I replaced it with a smaller 50ah lithium, from which I can get more power! So far so good…

Few of these options choices are forever except ac & furnace.

Kevin S and dustinp like this.
  14. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

If you think you would want the furnace then I think you will like it. I have one in mine and enjoy being able to turn it on a few minutes before getting out of bed.

As far as having extra storage I’ve found half of my space is already empty so having more empty space isn’t a plus.

Kevin S likes this.
  15. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

Lithium batteries tend to provide power at their rating until they are well down in their discharge range. This is important if you are running the Dometic because it has a low voltage shut off.

16. S & K

S & K Newbie

That’s absolutely true!
    Empty storage is not really useful.
    I like that.

plus - my wife has plans for us to make early spring visits to Florida. One over night stay at a Walmart on the way with low temperatures and I’d be getting the ‘look’. lol

17. S & K

S & K Newbie

Good point to consider. I’ve read on the forum that people have ran into that, and I will have one.

18. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

You must be traveling alone...;)

Kevin S, Tour 931 and Ken & Peggy like this.
  19. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We've found more empty spots over the years too. Seems we don't bring along nearly as much as we used to...

Kevin S, dustinp and Tour 931 like this.
  20. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The parking brake is probably the best accessory we added! I know they are no substitute for chocks....but belt and suspenders is a good thing too.

Van_and_Terri and dougbee like this.