Vistabule Vs Camp-inn?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dagobah, Apr 19, 2022.

1. SouthernStar

SouthernStar Newbie

There are some things I like about the Vistabule, like the big overhead window and the modern design. The big overhead window, as much as I like it, concerns me. When it comes to sunroofs I believe there are only two kinds. Those that leak and those that will eventually leak. :). In the end it is a about maintenance but a sunroof is a maintenance concern I'm not sure I want to have to contend with. Also, the sunroof is likely a concern for warmer weather campers. I took my 560 to Key West last year and the A/C did fine up until around 95°. (Granted I was receiving a fair amount of sunlight) The A/C apparently has thermal overload protection and cycles the compressor down when it runs too much and gets hot. I could have obviously made the situation better by putting a shade over the camper. With that being said, I can only imagine the situation with a Vistabule in temperatures above 90° or so, even with A/C. Again, I do like the Vistabule and I think they have a nice product but I do think people should consider their specific uses of the trailer and their specific needs and circumstances to pick the best option for them. I would probably be happy with either camper but I'm happy with the choice I made.

Kevin, Van_and_Terri and Sweeney like this.
  2. M&L

M&L Ranger

Completely agree with this. I don't like the idea of the extra maintenance needed to ENSURE a sunroof doesn't leak. And if I ever did have a sunroof, I would want it to be double-pane glass for the insulative qualities. Maybe tinted, too.

Kevin likes this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Something to try: crank the trailer jack up while cooking.
    Or if you happen to be wild camping, find a spot with a slope you can back into a bit.

The Coleman insulated cover has a strap on front that makes sliding it out easy. You could do same on your own cooler or the Dometic by placing it on a towel with enough at front to slide it out.

It is an extra step but easy stow of the stove and the ability to flip up the storage lids to block wind was really handy in a couple of desert windy spots lately.

4. Dmitry

Dmitry Novice

I just counted; I've had nine cars with sun roofs, and now have two. None of them leaked. In my office building, I have six large sky lights, and none of them leak. They are about 20 years old.

Kevin likes this.
  5. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Living in FL and primarily camping in the SE USA, the large window in the Vistabule doesn’t work for us. Neither do the large doors without a screen to zip closed when open. The Vistabule does have a lot of cool features. The Campinn is better suited to our needs and preferences. One of my wife’s favorite features of the Campinn is the cast iron cooktop. Miss our 550 and looking forward to getting our 560 next year.

6. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

and agree on the CI door screens, so pleasant to sleep with a cross breeze, no bugs!

7. Rich & Karen

Rich & Karen Newbie

We chose the Camp Inn over the Vistabule because we really didn’t want to deal with water leaks. The big window looks cool but we find we mostly keep our curtains closed. Haven’t regretted the decision.

Kevin likes this.
  8. sircampsalot

sircampsalot Newbie

We had a CI 550 for 10 years. We decided to upgrade to a camper with a bathroom and before we had a chance to seriously consider what that camper might be we sold the CI (on this forum). We researched and visited other campers for about a year and ultimately ended up with a Vistabule. We decided we just loved the freedom of a teardrop and the ability to store it in the garage. We loved our CI and are still adjusting to differences with the VB. One of these posts said it’s about what you value or use when camping. Do you spend much time in the camper during the day, or just use it for sleeping? A few things I love about the CI - leveling jacks, the btu power of the stove, the receiver hitch for our bikes, the cool fenders and squatty appearance, the interior stays warmer, the sliding windows, the retro door handles, door screens, the side tables and the stove placement. We never stored our cooler in the galley so that wasn’t an issue for us. A few things I love about VB - the upgraded appearance and options that we didn’t have in output CI - customizable skin color and rivet appearance, solar, the fan, USB ports, the round port windows, the lighter colored and more refined wood details. And here are a few things we didn't like about the CI - the inability to have the sunroof open in all types of weather, the galley piano hinge (this may be different now), compared to the VB the wood detailing in the CI now seem dated to me, how the skin weathered. That seems like a short list in hindsight but what I dislike about the VB - the stove placement and output (If you used CI stove for 10 years then switch to VB it’s not the same output and the ability to boil pasta is a complaint I have about most stoves ), the usefulness of the cabinets on the counter, the window hinges (they protrude into the cabin), the inability to open the big window shade from the bottom up limits your ability for privacy), no leveling jacks, no receiver hitch. If I hadn’t had a CI before my list would likely be different but those are things we got used to or miss. We made modifications to both campers to make the kitchen space more useable. We never use couch mode. That’s a long post but happy to answer more questions.

9. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

We have had a 560 for 10 years and we are considering something bigger with a bathroom. I never thought I would consider any else because I really like our camp inn, but getting old can be tough and my wife wants to be able to get dressed easier. We have a side tent that helps but now that we have more time to travel, what used to take one day, we take two and the side tent seems like too much work for a one night stop. The other problem is my wife has problems finding our camper in the middle of the night when she goes to the bathroom. I always try to get sites near the bathroom but after several campgrounds on a trip she says they all look the same and she will go the wrong way. It is nice that she does not want to wake me up but I have had to go find her. I have thought about getting a shower/potty tent but then the simplicity of using a teardrop is gone once we have to start setting up side tents and privacy tents plus screen tents, etc. I think we have found our next camper; a small 21 ft fifth wheel but it means a bigger TV so we are still in the discussing stage. I am not sure if I will sell the camp inn because it still works for solo trips with the dog...