Vistabule Vs Camp-inn?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dagobah, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Dagobah

Dagobah Newbie

Did anyone cross shop Camp-Inn with Vistabule? We've been researching teardrops for the past 6 months and narrowed our search down to these two. We recently saw our first 560 in person but are still working on finding a Vistabule.

Aside from the obvious differences in layout and style, I'd love to hear from someone who has seen both of these trailers and their impressions.

And yes, I've seen Cosmo's videos which have been super helpful, but don't tell me larger things like reliability, build quality, advantages/disadvantages or resale value.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  2. SethB

SethB Ranger

I *have not* seen a Vistabule in-person.

When I was internet and in-person shopping it was clear to me that the usability of CI’s kitchen was the best by far of any of the half-dozen manufacturers we reviewed, including Vistabule. That starts with ergonomics (do you have to lean forward from the waist, or worse, lean sideways?) and extends to usability of the stove, sink, working surfaces, and storage.

Your priorities may be different - that was hugely important to us! We do a lot of scratch cooking at home and when camping. We’ve been very happy with the kitchen and every other aspect of the trailer.

Kevin S and Andrew Cushingham like this.
  3. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

That's funny because literally the only complaint I have with our CI is that the stove is set too far back and that it's annoying to have to move your fridge/cooler. We are thinking of using a camp stove connected to the propane off the side so we don't have to reach as far in (although a low table has different issues). Maybe my wife and I are just shorter than what the design is for.

Love the storage and other design elements of the kitchen tho.

Vistabule looks hella cool, never seen one in person though.

Kevin S and Jenn like this.
  4. SethB

SethB Ranger

Hmm… so interesting, the different experiences - and priorities!

Yes, the stove would be more convenient closer to the cook! I guess I’ve adapted.
    Moving the cooler hasn’t felt burdensome to us.

I’ll still say; CI kitchen = better than the rest we reviewed! For our purposes and priorities….

Kevin S likes this.
  5. M&L

M&L Ranger

I haven't seen a Vistabule in person, but I scrutinized everything I could find on the interwebs when we were shopping (ultimately ending up with a Camp-Inn 560 Ultra). While the details are getting fuzzier with time, my perception at the time was that they were both well-designed, high quality trailers. Camp-Inn won out for us due to superior craftsmanship (especially the gorgeous wood), a longer production history (experience and working out the bugs), beautiful aesthetics (reminded us of a micro-Airstream, but with higher quality...and those sexy fenders!!!), and better layout for OUR specific needs (I'm 6' and Lisa is 5'10"...yes we did the SUV option for higher countertops as well as light off-roading). Some things just seemed a little more rugged, too. The extraordinary level of customer service was icing on the cake.

Having worked on nuclear reactors and particle accelerators, I am extremely laser-focused on reliability, ruggedness, quality, and maintainability. With that in mind, my personal opinion is that Camp-Inn is second to none.

Jenn, Kevin S and Andrew Cushingham like this.
  6. Dagobah

Dagobah Newbie

I've been doing the same compare and contrast online. Camp-Inn certainly has the longest production history. I believe VB has been building trailers for ~10 years. I'm not sure what number they're currently at, presumably close to ~400 campers made vs >1k for CI.

I know Cosmo is a huge fan of his trailer, he's just the only one I've heard from online. Would be easier to tell if there was a VB owners forum just like this one! Reliability, build quality and resale are hard to guess at otherwise.

M&L likes this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

SUV model helps that burner issue. In the past, I had a "backache" after cooking becuase I had to lean forward to get to the burners. The SUV model takes care of that by raising the burners a few inches.

Also, having them burners farther back allow you to leave the "doors" up, which helps keep wind off the flame...with the doors up, and the side covers snapped down, winds are much less a concern than they used to be...

I didnt' look at vistabule -- I saw the photos and body lines on the campinn. I, at the time, was thinking about building my own trailer. Every one I drew looked like a 560. An argument with my wife ensued. I ultimately won saying "Yes dear" which was when we called Campinn.

Kevin S likes this.
  8. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

I have looked at VB online but never seen one in person. My biggest concern is the location of the A/C. We camp in the southeast and we would not want to camp in the summer without having A/C. If you do not need it I think a VB would be a viable option. The A/C unit is mounted low and looks like it would be blocked in the couch setup and not be able to distribute the cool air well and in the bed setup the cold air will be blowing on your head. To me it looks like the A/C unit was an afterthought in the design. I would not trade my 560 for a VB...

Kevin S likes this.
  9. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Agreed. I like the use of marine quality fittings and aviation level attention to detail.
    I would add that the customer service is head and shoulders above all else in 50 years as a demanding consumer.

M&L and Sweeney like this.
  10. CosmoWeems

CosmoWeems Novice

11. Dagobah

Dagobah Newbie

Kevin S likes this.
  12. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Both good choices

Tour 931 and campdude like this.
  13. campdude

campdude Ranger

Randy, yes they are both good choices....but....remember one is the teacher...the other a student.

dustinp and Randy like this.
  14. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

That's true. When Bert was getting Vistabule started he came to Craig and Cary for advice.

15. Gypsy

Gypsy Junior Ranger Donating Member

The Vistabule had too much window space for me. Camping in Florida often, I don't want to allow any more heat in.

Sweeney, Van_and_Terri and Kevin S like this.
  16. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

My lesson learned on sunroofs in cars: just too much greenhouse where I live and wander SWUS, and where I plan next: Sweeneys Lost Coast of Floriduh...

Its plus another place to leak, plus, condensation.
    Wonderful elsewhere to fall asleep looking at stars and moon...

My opinion, ymmv, of course.

Edit: ps- Cosmo you rule dood! Thanks for all you share.

M&L likes this.
  17. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Campinn is a better match for our type of Florida camping. But, I do like the Propex Heater that Vistabule uses.

campdude and Kevin S like this.
  18. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Thinking about it definately a point -- don't forget cold in the winter. plexi nor glass is good at insulation. Plexi also hazes up, I don't know aboute Vestibule -- I don't know what they are using.

A friend of ours from the TNTTT builder community put a HUGE sheet on his, basically on an opening about the size of the galley door --- and that thing was quite warm in the summer. I only saw him with it once or twice at gatherings --- after that he build a caboose looking camper, and one that looked like a barn...I suspect the heat was an issue, though I've never talked to him about it....

Tour 931 likes this.
  19. Chris in CA

Chris in CA Newbie

I did a lot of research and the Vistabule was one of the top contenders. Also, I have camped side by side with my brother multiple times and he has a Vistabule and I have a CI 550. The CI is way more solidly built. Every inch of the 550 is well thought out. BUT, my only two issues are the height of the galley door and the cooktop location. I am 6'-1/2" and I often hit my head. The Vistabule is better in this regard as it is much higher. The curve of the back end is cut differently. I have the 550 SUV so it is a bit higher than the standard. And to deal with my head hitting, I have started parking it on those plastic thing-a-ma-bobs that trailer folk use to level. I love the cook top. The two burners are spaced farther apart than other campers which allows for a pan and a pot at the same time. But, its location is a bit far back. I deal with it by asking my wife to cook. That works out pretty good. Finally, my older brother mentions often how much he likes MY trailer better. LOL.

Kevin S and dustinp like this.
  20. campdude

campdude Ranger

Camp Inn is definitely a rock solid build. They are like an old timex...takes a licken and keeps on ticken.

Kevin S and Van_and_Terri like this.