Victron Ip67 Shore Charger Installation With Photos

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Steve and Karen, May 17, 2024.

1. Hi Kevin, Feel free to message me with questions. I can also send you some photos of how I did. I strongly recommend studying and referring to the wiring diagram in the Owners Manual. Do that, then go look at the wiring while looking at the diagram. The diagrams can be a bit intimidating at first, but they will actually make sense once you spend a little time looking. That will eliminate a lot of the guess work. Between the wiring diagram and just looking at the wiring in the trailer, you'll be able to figure it out. It's actually laid out very simply.

As to specifics- I installed the IP67 where the Marinco was located. I removed the wood bezel plate that hold the Marinco and made a plywood plate the same size and shape to mount the IP67. I did not recess the IP67 into the trailer. It's just surface mounted. I drilled a couple of holes to route the 110 power cord and the charging cord to the proper location in the trailer. You have to remove the taillight to access that. I think you said above that you knew how to do that. Once you have the taillight out, you can fish the IP67 110 plug and charging adapter through the rear and plug them into the 110 receptacle and the charger connector that the Marinco was connected to. That's about it. I'd have to check, but I think I swapped out the 10A fuse for a 20A fuse on the fuse box charger buss. Craig can confirm if there are any issues with wire size. I may have upsized the wire. If you have to upsize the wire, it's pretty easy to do. As long as you have the manual dexterity to do so. It was a bit of a struggle for me fat fingering the wires into the fuse block. Then you're done with the charger.

The Smart shunt is a PIA to mount only because it is hard to get access to screw it down. Wiring is easy. You'll need another negative wire (similar gauge to the one coming off the negative on the battery. Disconnect the negative wire from the battery and connect to the "In" connection for the Smart shunt. The other end of that wire goes to the negative post on the tray above. (FYI most of the negative wires in the system are on that post). Then take the new battery wire (that you bought) and run it from the out on the Smart Shunt to the Battery negative. Last, you'll need a small power wire that runs from the Smart Shut to the fuse buss that Camp Inn stubbed in for the Trimetric. You'll see it on the wiring diagram. I believe they spec'd a 1A fuse, which is what I used. Whatever was spec'd. That wire provides the very small amount of electricity required to power the Smart Shunt. The 1A fuse buss bypasses the main disconnect for the trailer. So the Smartshunt always has power. And therefore you can check it with the app even when the power is off. Theoretically you can get that power from other wires and put an inline 1A fuse on it. But I like all my fuses in one place. And the 1A buss was wired and designed for that purpose. So keep it simple. I believe there is a bluetooth pairing button on the Smart shunt that you need to push the first time to pair with the App.

Lastly, I saw somewhere a photo of a better way to mount the smart shunt. I think they has it sitting directly on top of the battery. They had a metal buss bar connecting the Smart shunt "out" to the battery negative (instead of the new wire you'll buy) and existing battery negative attached to the Smart Shunt "in". The Smart shunt was held in place by the buss bolted connection to the battery. This method was interesting because you could avoid the PIA of trying to mount the Smart shunt back in the corner next to the battery, towards the taillight. So the battery could still fit in. I'll see if I can find the photo of that!

Kevin likes this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Thanks David, lots to absorb, but hugely helpful.
    You mentioned that shunt install hack before- makes sense, and the pic would help figure out where to source or make that buss bar. There's room in my compartment to rest on top of battery and that makes it easier to see the BT light is lit on the shunt.

I'll pm ya after reading and looking in trailer going "hmmm" a fair bit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  3. (italics mine)

It would work best at 17A for the Bulk (initial) stage, which the charger will go into if it detects that the battery is below 80% or less than 12.6V. After a few minutes the charger would go to 17A max during the Bulk stage. It maintains this high current until the voltage reaches 14.4V, or whatever you set your optimal voltage to on the app. At this point (14.4V), the battery is about 80% charged, generally. Then the charger maintains this constant 14.4 voltage while gradually dropping the current (Absorption) until it detects that it is completely full, and in Float /maintenance. At this point the current is a fraction of an amp.

The Victron has the added the stage of going into Storage if it has been in Float for more than 8 hours, since a constant trickle of 13.2V and a fraction of an amp can, with some batteries, tend to shorten their life a little.

The 7A setting is comparable to what the OEM charger (likely) was putting out. At either setting (7A or 17A) the charger will likely perform identically when in Absorption, Float/Storage/ Maintenance modes. It's the Bulk mode current that is the big difference between the two max amp settings.

The shunt really shouldn't be part of this charger installation equation since the charger leads go immediately to a grounding post (neg) and to the fuse panel (pos).

I haven't traced the + wiring from mine past the fuse panel, but I strongly suspect that it goes directly to the battery +post after it leaves the fuse panel. But I could be very wrong and there could be something else, like the Master Switch after the fuse panel. But I doubt it. I would check your wiring and confirm with the mothership if you see anything different from what I've described.

Either way, to make sure that your shunt is properly reading everything, the charger neg lead should go to a common ground. And that, yes, the shunt is the only thing between the battery neg post and that common ground.

If you want to see exactly how your charger and battery do the the dance together, drop your battery down to 12.2V, pull the battery part-way out, disconnect all the battery leads, and charge it directly with supplied alligators. You won't have the shunt to confirm what it is doing, but the charger app gives all that information anyway. It'll make much more sense after a full day of charging and intermittent checking on the app.

Kevin likes this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

TY Steve will do!
    Are you referring to the absorption levells on FullRiver AGM or the Precision LiPO?
    I'm still fuzzy on the specs on the latter and what tech sheet I attached earlier means.
    But I'll get there!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  5. Very sorry. Forgot you had a Precision.

If you have LiPO, then the charge profile will be much different than what I described. The LiPO pre-sets on the charger will dictate when, what and how much the charger will be doing. I don't have a LiPO. Yet. So I can't speak to the charger's exact behaviour. Nor to the wisdom of going outside those pre-sets with a user-defined set of charging parameters.

But since the LiPO can handle larger charge currents, and will have shorter charge times, the charger will likely be operating at the maximum amperage through a greater percentage of its charging time than an AGM. And the lower amperage setting will be all but useless. Unless you rig it up (as I have) so that you can also use it to charge another size and type of battery at 7A. Like a 30Ah lawn tractor battery.

You can still do some out-of-trailer test charges to get a handle on how everything works together before the full-blown install. Which would be wise, since not everything you get works properly right out of the box.

Kevin likes this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

TY Steve. Yes I've been carefully charging, testing, and fitting this to make sure I know what I am doing and dont kill another bat-tree in my ignorance...;)

The Noco5 I had lying around and put in as replacement for my 2010 era Marinco that I killed by bumping along fire roads and 12 hr days in 125 heat traveling 3000 miles a couple years ago has already come in handy...its on the Precision approved charger list along with the Noco10, so its my backup used in lithiul mode...more on that later...(dodging bullets here...derp!)

BTW I have been hugely impressed with Victron tech service assistance for my dumb questions, once I drilled down in the VictronConnect app, to find the link.

Both the Victron charger and the Victron shunt had "unexpected anomalies" when I apparently misjudged the time I could leave the Precision in place, checking average drains using the VictronConnect app as a starting point for draws...

More on that later once I confirm cause...
    Good news and another sales point for a good lipo is one CAN drain it lower than 20% once or twice and NOT kill it like I did my previous AGM...;)

As always, in my (forced) humility, may I observe its very important to consider copying what smart people have already done, including what the Nest Gurus do on new...shortens my painfully long learning curve when I do,

so thanks again for sharing yours!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  7. SethB

SethB Ranger

I used some self stick industrial velcro to snag my shunt to the top of my batt, this has worked well!

I can definitely see fabbing a little copper strap to physically tie the shunt to the batt, maybe 3/32” x 3/4” x 2.5” with some holes and bends, I think I’ll do that the next time I’m in the battery compartment if I can find some copper…

Kevin likes this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Thanks, Seth, for the tip on the industrial velcro. That would prevent the metal bar acting like a lever on one terminal with weight of shunt dangling, at a 90 to the terminal.

Having it come out easily with the bat-tree for bench troubleshoot or charge would be handy.

9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Hows the charger working out? The 10amp charger upgrade that I did, I have to say I'm not really happy with. The charger definately charges faster but it has a problem. The best way I can describe it is, that the marinco does a bulk charge, then drops into its maintenance mode then stays there. I need to 'reboot' it by power cycling to get it to bulk charge again.

I found I need to 10amp charger -- With the fridge, and fans -- on a longer trip I'm usually "Idling" at 4 amps of draw, so I never really can charge unless I shed loads. That big lithium starts to be appealing again, except I am still quite afraid of thermal runaway --- I know, lifepo4 is safer LION.

This may be a problem wiht the 5 amp as well --- I never saw it though since I was did not have the battery monitor.

@Cary Winch - Any suggestions?

Does the victron charger behave well, noticing the need to bulk charge as the battery drops?

10. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Sweeney, I'm getting exceptional tech support from Victron via both the resellers on charger and shunt (its how Victron does it)

and my status RN is I have some more homework to do to doublecheck I am connecting things to the fuse box etc. In a stroke of pure luck the one most helpful is a Continental regional sales manager who is also able to answer my dumb questions on Precision battery. Super guy.

And how I managed to nearly kill my Precision
    (I didnt)...confession time- I think(!)

By leaving something(s) on...
    (exactly what tbd) -too long?

I was using the shuntmeter to see what drain comes from what item...and any ghost drains, and I misread it I think...)
    Cuz on second check it was day-edd. Oops my bad!

So both the Victron Charger and shunt appear to be good gear...and the service head and shoulders worthy of the Guru Standard in Necedah....

the problem in my case appears to be operator error...errr "test to fail"...Lol...

One thing I can say is the NOCO5 can recharge a lithium battery from zero or close but the Victron IP67 12/17 has a higher threshold. Glad I had that as a backup, that I previously installed by my last iteration/upgrade as per Cary "as checks good by Precision". I got some coaching by both Craig and Cary on CI wiring to be sure I got that right...but i digress...

The Victron IP67 12/17 charger has a 6 or 16A software switch so it can work on those edge cases, depending on your setup, worried on current in existing wire etc.

Caveat to all readers: Consider me at the total klutz-noob stage of electrical so one should fully take my advice for what is worth...what you paid!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024 at 3:31 PM
    Van_and_Terri likes this.
  11. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

As to the factory Marinco, I dunno but an email with bulleted data and question to Cary/craig followed by call works for me on CI stuff. I believe they offer an upgraded Marinco for Lithium options?

I know you know this, but my pride requires I say it:
    I cant expect them to answer Victron or other third party gear, but I am educating myself on wiring so when I ask "how to hook up" I'll know which wire does what in the CI.

Getting closer...;) it aint rocket science...its just me!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024 at 3:34 PM
    dustinp likes this.