Unwrapping the Raindrop

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by pkscheel, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

We had the same discoloring. Mick did polish it and wax it, and we have the cover off for the winter, and it looks close to new, but not quite. I have a feeling it will go back to being discolored, but hopefully not as bad as last time. I suppose we are one of the odd ones having looked under there, but we take the cover off when it is stored outside and keep the cover stored in the garage with the rain. We are hoping it will last a little longer, although we have noticed some of the foam is coming unglued from the back, and we need to tack that back down. It wasn't as bad as we thought.

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Ken,

Ya, it is one of those "imp of the perverse" kind of things. Like that uncontrolled urge to stick your finger in a fan blade or something.

Cary

3. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Since I bought my Raindrop during the heated discussion regarding protecting the aluminum vs letting it 'age' I went into this with my eyes wide open. Hence I am keeping my eyes closed regarding what is under the alcan cover (per Cary's advice.)

4. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Somewhere around the 60,000 mile mark, I asked Craig if we could put an Alcan cover on ours. The front storage box needed a pick-me-up that only the Alcan could provide. Yes, I've looked underneath the cover since then & no, it isn't pretty but it doesn't need to be...that's what the cover is for. :)

Several years ago, ours had the original Alcan cover prototype on it. My dad had made up something similar when my parents took our teardrop to Alaska. Glad he did, too, or it would have looked like Swiss cheese. :cry:

:cool:

5. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Pat, I'm glad you got your Raindrop cleaned up. When ours was shipped, it was completely wrapped and since you probably haven't seen what that looks like wrapped up, you can go to my FB page and see the pics of ours still on the delivery truck all wrapped up. I can't see how ANYTHING could get underneath THAT packaging! So I would agree with you 1000% - if you're having yours shipped, leave it wrapped! You can do Woody Wax on your own when you get it unwrapped. Much easier....but then, I'm a Shark Hide gal myself - 20 mins. and I'm done for 2 yrs. Wish I could post pics here, but I don't seem to have the intelligence for it!