MI State Park Tulip festival in Holland Michigan

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by GinaNBob, Apr 21, 2015.

1. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Anyone ever been to the tulip festival in holland Michigan? Scheduled for first week in May this year. Would like to know where to camp, what to see, how the crowds are
    Thanks
    Gina

2. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

Has been years since we have been there. Something to see if everything is in bloom. Not sure where to camp though as we were there just for the day wen we went.

3. Downsized

Downsized Newbie

Gina,

I think we can help answer some of your Tulip Time questions, Linda and I are life long residents of the area. We have a few decent campgrounds that are within 30 miles of all the festival activities.

Our top camping recommendations are:

Holland State Park campground is 10 to 15 minutes away from the action. There are two camping areas here, one is on Lake Michigan, it is blacktop beach camping and no campfires allowed. The other area is off the lake and has wooded campsites allowing campfires.

Grand Haven State Park is about 25 minutes away. This campground is also blacktop beach camping.

About 35 to 45 minutes away we have two more State campgrounds in Muskegon. Hoffmaster State Park is on lake Michigan, it is wooded and quite beautiful. A bit north of Hoffmaster is Muskegon State Park, also on Lake Michigan it is a very nice place to camp.

While we prefer Hoffmaster and Muskegon State Park they are a bit farther away from Tulip Time action.

Have you checked out the tulip time website? www.tuliptime.com

Steve

4. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Thanks Steve and rgupnorth,
    I did look at the website and that is what started the discussion to attend. Not a fan of HUGE crowds but understand many will come to see the tulips. Will check out your recommendations. Like the idea of a campfire especially since you never know how warm it will be this time of year. If it is too crowded, may do a little smallmouth fishing if available ;)
    Thanks again
    Gina