Tripod Torch

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Sweeney, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

After completion of the message around the Buddy heater...great heat. But sometimes you want flames!

I was watching one of my YouTube channels yesterday, and they were at the "big tent" in Quartzsite and saw this product. I have to say I find it quite intriguing.

It is designed to attach to a 20lb cylinder with an inline regulator....I wonder how well THIS would work with "Steak saver" adapter coming off the same hose used for the 'Buddy.

I wrote the company's owner, and he was understandably 'squirrely' about answering the question....but I think it would work, and I kind of want one...Link on this video and go in about 6 minutes and 25 seconds....you can see them mentioned.

Home | Tripod Torch - Ultra Portable Propane Campfire

2. I can see this being a poor partner to the Backroads shelter. Whatever space- and cost-saving there could be, it would be eaten up with having to buy a new shelter every night. ;)

Intriguing indeed.

Kevin S, SethB and dustinp like this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Very intriguing indeed.

I like wood fires a lot, but there are a number of drawbacks. In Indiana, we aren't permitted to move firewood due to insect infestations. The firewood either comes from very close to the park _or_ from the park itself. The Nearby wood is generally better than the 'park' wood, but it is sometimes impossible to find. The Park firewood comes from 1 of 2 permitted state vendors, and the bundles are small and expensive.

The wood fire also means several hours of commitment. There have been many times when I only want the heat and light for a short time. A device like this would allow instant on/instant off.

I was mostly curious if after the buddy discussion, what is the consensus thought on the double regulator...I'd hate to buy it and have to send it right back, I have no intention of carrying 2 tanks or putting a splitter on the propane tank and running 30 feet of hose.

Kevin S likes this.
  4. I have a 50 lb tank with a roofing torch, which uses a only 20 psi regulator, and a turn knob at the handle to adjust flame. I suspect that the Tripod Torch would require the same amount and type of regulation and flow control. In which case I would think that a straight hose, with no regulation, out of the side port would likely work. And it would put your fire in a location that much further away from your trailer tank and where you would likely use it.

But if our collective "Buddy Experience" is any indication, this may require some trial and error. However, this device is much more primitive (albeit well-designed) than the Buddy, and may be far more forgiving of our propane sins.

I await your results. If this gets around fire bans, is safer (environmentally-speaking) and leaves no trace, and (as you state) is far more convenient, then "yes", there is quite possibly room for it in the trailer.

Kevin S likes this.
  5. I concur. I have yet to source wood from any organized camping location that wasn't cut the previous winter and is still too wet to burn properly. You end up creating a fire 3X the size you'd like just to generate enough BTUs to keep part of it going. The unhealthy and dense smoke haze that permeates many campgrounds is an indication of just how poor the wood quality is (generally) and how troublesome wood fires can be. Especially when there's a lot of them in close proximity.

Sourcing downed, on-the-ground local wood (of which you spoke) from other nearby locations risks trespassing. Or even if collected from communal lands, it risks depleting what is likely a finite or scarce resource. Or removing what is necessary for the environment to function properly.

When you first posted, at first blush, I thought it might be somewhat gimmicky. Now I think I might have just talked myself into one.

6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'm seriously considering biting the bullet -- the worst that can happen is I return it. I'm just trying to be more fiscally responsible here lately. My camping budget got a little out of control in the past couple years.

Dry wood is good -- I switched from fireplace to pellet stove, and had a good supply of VERY well seasoned firewood --- but gave it to a friend who 'ran out' a few weeks ago, and they rely on firewood in their home. I still have a small supply (some where around a rick) -- but that's probably only ever going to see backyard use.

A few years ago, one of our parks had some major tree damage, and uncharacteristically, they cut, split, and sold it. State Parks are dedicated to return to nature, so the trees typically fall and rot. Whatever the reason, what they were selling was well-seasoned and burned beautifully. But those days are gone.

The wood they sell today comes from Parke County Firewood, the same junk firewood you can buy at convenience stores....google them, I'll bet you find them near you --- it seems this is their sole product and they are a 'big' player in expensive wood. There's another vendor they use, but I don't know the name -- and it is frankly even worse.

This is all supposed to be because of emerald ash borer and other pests. Color me paranoid, but it really does seem that it's a racket to protect their budget. and less like protecting the environment. If they were really serious, they'd foster responsibly locally harvested, and seasoned wood and a fair price. $7 for less than a cubic foot of firewood is insane.

7. I am somewhat mentally pre-conditioned to absolutely dry wood. For 35 years we have been heating primarily with hardwood that I insist on drying in sheltered locations for at least 4 years before burning: covered from rain, stacked outside, and then placed in a solar dryer building for the last 2 years. Zero creosote accompanied by every BTU we can squeeze out of it. If there is any moisture in the wood, I consider it to be analogous to driving a car with the emergency brake always on.

The "junk" firewood, as you accurately refer to it, irks me as well. The problem is that no one wants to put in the time, cost, and effort of creating a product that they won't see a return on for 1-2 years, if they do dry it properly. Not that I would expect any retailer to go to the effort that I put in, just for campfire wood.

If it was ash (killed by the borer) they were selling, it already starts off green with a very low water content. Standing dead for a couple years, it's almost an immediately burnable species that requires very little drying time. I'm surrounded by so many ash skeletons that they will rot before I can bring them all down. All ash on the ground, and at least a third of what is still standing, alive or dead:

View attachment upload_2024-1-23_11-26-27.jpeg

I've got another 10 or 15 years of logging in me (if there's any trees left). Then it'll be pellets, like you. Or the retirement home.

Vince G likes this.
  8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

When we bought the house we are in today, it had a 10x15 shed on the back of the house, which was full to the TOP with hickory -- it was magnificent. The only real problem was that I had no idea how to use it. I tended to over-fire. By year 2, I figured it out.

Year 3 I had to buy more wood, which was supposedly seasoned -- it was the worst winter ever! It sizzled when you put a log on. We about froze. I had enough of the good hickory left that it kept things acceptable though still very inefficient.

If I had my way, what you've got is exactly what I would want....if you have the time, and space its the only way to fly.

I am not able to tell most species from another when cut, but I believe the park was selling ash. Beautiful wood for woodworking --- I hope that it can be recovered and replanted like they are trying to do with Chestnut. I can be done --- the question is, do we have the dedication. Its a crop that takes 30 years to grow...

Pellets -- for home heating are a good overall solution but not perfect. I still need to have electricity to run the blowers, the one huge advantage to a stove is that in a grid-down situation, you'll still be OK. Me -- I'm running a generator.

We switched to pellets for two reasons:

First, buying 50 bags of pellets is easier than getting a cord delivered and processed.

Second, I was having a hard time finding a vendor .. my tree feller friend is retiring, and what we've gotten from others near me were wet.

Overall, the pellets are just much easier. The heat output isn't as high....but 1 or 2 pallets of pellets :D is about enough for a year. We run it during the day when we're home, if we kept it running 24x7 we'd probably go through a little over 100 bags a year. 1 bag lasts us a little over a day.

Its nice to just turn a knob and walk away too....gets warm, it turns of automatically. Gets cool, it lights itself. Thats kind of nice.

9. It's best he retires on his own terms, rather than at a tree's discretion. Not a past-time for the faint of heart, the inattentive, or those who care to "wing it" without the right gear and proper training under their belt.

That's when you pack it in for the year, crank the thermostat and try again with drier stuff next winter.

Overall, it is less work to heat your house with hickory than with ash, by volume. But being chock full of BTUs, it's a real stove warper if you ignore it, or aren't familiar with it's combustion qualities. White oak as well. Sometimes working with a homogenous, familiar fuel type, you can consistently hit that "sweet spot" with the stove and it doesn't constantly demand your attention and tweaking. If you can eventually hit that familiarity level without freezing, destroying your stove or your house, you've won at the Wood Game.

10. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Yep, the fire bans are getting serious out west, or were in last couple trips in CA, AZ due wildfires.

This advertises as meeting level one and two bans, but notes to consult local authorities. Which is always tricky, as there is no consistency or predictability as to restoration. Frankly during COVID it was obvious the state staff were happy to comply to close everything off and count pension benefits accruing. In CA anyway...grrrr.
    "No politics", I know I know....

I can definitely see the attraction.
    A Mr Buddy toe warmer is a poor substitute for a cheery camp fire or a solostove...
    Not sure I'd risk it under any tarp or tent roof...

Attached Files:

Steve and Karen likes this.
  11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Arborist is definitely a job for the young. I had a friend have an arborist drop a 24 inch standing dead tree in his yard --- I took as much of the tree as I could, just breaking down the 40 food trunk into rounds was a lot of work. Moving them into the truck was an incredible effort. Feeding them through a splitter was insanity exemplified. I don't know what I was thinking.

There definitely is a learning curve, and I had a profound lack of a tutor --- so I'm glad I didn't burn the house down...I did, however, cook a chicken or two in the living room. Once you get to the point where closing the draft pisses off the fire you know you've done it :D

12. Been there.

I now try not to let calculations of board-feet, and tempting large diameter trunks hijack my common sense and my body's steadily declining ability to heft 150 lb slabs up onto a splitter. Or process them into lumber. Leverage, mechanical advantage, hydraulics and physics can be exploited only so far. I've had to leave some impressive specimens where they stood or lay, without my interference, to complete their circle of life . And without them ending mine prematurely.

Besides, if you're only into it strictly for the BTUs, and on a limited time budget, then trying to manipulate the large stuff can really slow you down. Or put you out of commission completely.

Kevin S likes this.
  13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

It looks like a fairly well-made product --- the leg latching mechanism is clever and looks well-cut. The fact they include tent stakes to lock it down is a nice touch too.

Kevin S likes this.
  14. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I found a video or photo that showed the regulator, the sticker clearly shows 20PSIG.

This suggests to me that a straight-through quick connect (20 PSI from the QD port) would be a problem due to the double-regulator effect. But, perhaps more than I want to take on at this point....

View attachment upload_2024-1-27_18-52-38.png

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  15. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

It appears that their regulator adjusts the flame. As to “the double regulator principle” it seems to me that you treat these devices as a series. You would not want a 10 psi regulator on the tank side feeding an appliance that has a 20 psi regulator, you would only get 10 psi. Two regulators of the same output should give you the same output. A 20 psi regulator on the tank side with a 10 psi regulator on the appliance side would give 10 psi at the appliance.

Kevin S likes this.
  16. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Thanks RM!

17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Thats what I am thinking a swell. But this was a concern in a previous lengthy conversation that 2 equivalents in the series were still lower and not able to achieve 100% pressure.

Guess I know who to blame if I DO buy it and it doesn't work :D

18. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Whether out the side port or a Y- fitting at the tongue with a longer hose this is a pretty cool substitute for a campfire, without all the hassle of store bought wood, inc hauling enough for a multi day hangout in dispersed camping...and cleanup; hauling ashes for leave no trace...

and just looking at the latest fire management dictates in the Coconino Forest- Flagstaff area, which is fairly representative of high desert, chapparal scrub, low wooded forest in the high desert, (CA, NV, UT, AZ, NM and parts of CO, WY, etc )in the vast lands bordering the great cathedral parks out west ...

My guess is you could probably get away with this, where even a solo stove fueled by harvested deadfall would be verboten...and save you the $5000-10,000 fine.

If you are already carrying the CI long hose for a weber bbq, propane lantern, or a MrBuddy toe warmer appliance,
    Then its just a matter of connectors/regulators/filters to fit the specific appliance, amiright?

Lets face it: its just not camping without a fire...something ancestral about it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    Van_and_Terri likes this.
  19. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Totally agree --- Its not just us here --- I've been at state parks in July with temperatures in the 90's with fellow campers lighting fires. It's just a little too warm for me. There are also studies that show that the warm orange/red/yellow glow of a fire helps you sleep better. I believe it.

I'm an early to bed kind of person --- Usually in bed by 10. So to light a fire is sometimes not worth the effort for a 30-60 minute fire. Firwood is a whole other problem just about everywhere.

My westward travel is in question -- it really is up to my parents, who are just now finding themselves having to move into nursing home. They can't be on their own any longer. Hopefully the next 4-5 weeks will be good for everyone.

20. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

I'm with ya- over 90 and its getting to be too hot for much of anything except cooling off for me.

Once you get the parents settled it will be better...been there done that a couple times.

You're a good son!

dustinp likes this.